Pro-Europe vote fragments but limits nationalist gains in EU election

webfact

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

There were no Neo Nazis standing in the UK E.U. election .

Le Pen, Salvini, Orban, UKIP. You can sugar coat it; I will not do neo Nazis that favor. 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If a Conservative/Labour/Brexit/politician all want to leave the E.U. , take your pick about which one you want to win , the vote was for individual politicians , rather than a particular party

There was a Brexit party. A one-topic Brexit party. It’s even called after it: Brexit. Only a third of the voters voted for it. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Haha, of course the usual suspects would show up who some days ago told us this would be a proxy for a second referendum with their messiah Nigel Farage winning it, and now as he’s also failing to deliver a majority for leave it’s just “EU elections”. You can’t make this stuff up. 

Agreed and already they are in denial as we can read.

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Le Pen, Salvini, Orban, UKIP. You can sugar coat it; I will not do neo Nazis that favor. 

There was a Brexit party. A one-topic Brexit party. It’s even called after it: Brexit. Only a third of the voters voted for it. 

around 1/3 of 1/3 in voting eligibility terms

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Farage has done well.

The Tory attempt to prevent a schism in their party by offering a Brexit referendum has gone full circle and bitten them in the ass.

Time now for Labour to get off the Brexit bus and fight this right wing madness.

Turn out 37%

Let’s have non of this ‘will of the people’ nonsense.

Highest turnout with a resounding win and 37%.....what does it take to be will of the people....no other party came close.....face it, brexit is what is wanted

6 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

So are you disputing the facts I stated ? I think anybody with common sense understand that this was not a second referendum. Nor was it a General Election or the re running of the Epsom Derby !!   It was simple based on the the UK voters placing their votes.  But facts are still facts are they not supporting what I said earlier " no matter how Brexiteers wish to spin the story to attempt to avoid facts "

Your figures and theory fail , because you are assuming that anyone who didnt vote for the Brexit party must be remainers , that is an incorrect assumption to make , because numerous Con/Lab politicians are also Brexiters .

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Farage has done well.

The Tory attempt to prevent a schism in their party by offering a Brexit referendum has gone full circle and bitten them in the ass.

Time now for Labour to get off the Brexit bus and fight this right wing madness.

Turn out 37%

Let’s have non of this ‘will of the people’ nonsense.

Lets hope Labour go under the Brexit bus you mean ,God help us if those morons ever get into power

Just now, sanemax said:

Your figures and theory fail , because you are assuming that anyone who didnt vote for the Brexit party must be remainers , that is an incorrect assumption to make , because numerous Con/Lab politicians are also Brexiters .

Where did I state that ?  My figures and verbage clearly stated those voting for "Leave" in the 2016 compared to those voting for pro-Brexit i.e. Brexit party + UKIP as comparators against eligible voters. Are you living in fantasy world of make believe statements and figures ? Read the facts !!

14 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Facts baffle you do they ? or you would prefer to see it in a more simple pictorial form ?

Not facts, just the dire stupidity of remoaners that cant accept the results....what would it take....every eligible voter to be marched to the polling stations and 100% vote for leave....accept it, move on, the fascist views of remoaners is tiresome and now very funny, would make a great sketch on Monty pythons 

9 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I do opologise...................I didnt realise that Le Pen , Salvini and Orban participated in the U.K E.U elections , I must pay more attention to the UK EU elections in future

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

Not facts, just the dire stupidity of remoaners that cant accept the results....what would it take....every eligible voter to be marched to the polling stations and 100% vote for leave....accept it, move on, the fascist views of remoaners is tiresome and now very funny, would make a great sketch on Monty pythons 

I think we’d settle for a second referendum.

Void of the electoral fraud that mired the first and with a public who are now very much better informed of what Brexit is offering them/taking from them.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Void of the electoral fraud that mired the first and with a public who are now very much better informed of what Brexit is offering them/taking from them.

Yeah, those postal votes and students voting twice for remain would give a far bigger gain to leave but less said about that the better, dont wont to rub it in that remoaners are not only fascists but are cheats as well.

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Whilst very true,  we can not give back to those very many people who have already suffered, or under notice of redundancy - hope and prosperity for their families which has now been lost. Something  that the Brexit lies have already set in motion.

14 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

There are around 47 million eligible voters in the UK this time around. The UK EU elections had an overall turnout, according to the BBC,  just below 37%. Of those the Brexit Company Ltd together with UKIP  followers got 35 % , again according to the BBC.    That equates to 6 million of eligible voters voting for the Brexit dream or 12.7% of eligible voters

Now during the 2016 EU referendum around 17,400,000 voted for the Brexit dream based on a turnout of 72% of a 46,500,000 eligible voters (ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2016_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum ) or in other words 37.4 % of eligible voters

Therefore, and no matter how Brexiteers wish to spin the story to attempt to avoid facts,  the real facts are that in 2016 37.4 % of the UK's eligible voters wanted to leave the EU whereas at these last EU polls only 12.7% of the eligible voters voted for the predominately leaving parties of the Brexit Company Ltd + UKIP.

That should provide very damning evidence that the tide has turned in the UK as a whole, not towards the Tories or Labour I must add, but turned in general against not leaving the EU. I would think that another General Election is imminent and the Tory party , split by the Brexit loonies will surely loose and if Labour wants any chance of winning they must formally declare that if elected they will give the UK people a second referendum but above all ditch that fool Corbyn or they will be relegated, like the Tories, to a party of political "has beens" IMHO.

I disagree. I did erroneously miss out ChangeUK and SNP and the figures are indeed closer if you include those.

However, it is impossible to say that everyone who votes Green wants Brexit since they are primarily a party focused on the environment, the European issue is a side show for them even though their policy would be to Remain. Similarly, over 20% voted Conservative or Labour and we don't know if they are Remain or Leave. Are they the Rees-Mogg types or Yvette Cooper types? It's an unknown, although we do know that the vast majority of Conservative members are Leavers. Similarly, around 75% of constituencies that were won by the Conservatives in the 2017 general election voted to Leave, while around 61% of Labour constituencies voted to Leave.

It is also abundantly clear that everyone who votes UKIP and Brexit want Brexit. If everyone had changed their minds as Remainers suggest, you wouldn't get over 35% voting for these two.

So nothing suggests a major swing to Remain. With a Leaver almost certain to be the next PM it looks like Democracy will prevail and Brexit will happen this year as per the 2016 referendum win for Leave. Your only chance is a General Election, which given The Brexit Party results at 31.7% compared to the next highest the LibDems at 18.6%, probably wouldn't end for Remainers. 

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I disagree. I did erroneously miss out ChangeUK and SNP and the figures are indeed closer if you include those.

However, it is impossible to say that everyone who votes Green wants Brexit since they are primarily a party focused on the environment, the European issue is a side show for them even though their policy would be to Remain. Similarly, over 20% voted Conservative or Labour and we don't know if they are Remain or Leave. Are they the Rees-Mogg types or Yvette Cooper types? It's an unknown, although we do know that the vast majority of Conservative members are Leavers. Similarly, around 75% of constituencies that were won by the Conservatives in the 2017 general election voted to Leave, while around 61% of Labour constituencies voted to Leave.

It is also abundantly clear that everyone who votes UKIP and Brexit want Brexit. If everyone had changed their minds as Remainers suggest, you wouldn't get over 35% voting for these two.

So nothing suggests a major swing to Remain. With a Leaver almost certain to be the next PM it looks like Democracy will prevail and Brexit will happen this year as per the 2016 referendum win for Leave. Your only chance is a General Election, which given The Brexit Party results at 31.7% compared to the next highest the LibDems at 18.6%, probably wouldn't end for Remainers. 

One issue your analysis ignores, though, is the question of turnout. Much lower for this election than for UK parliamentary elections. 

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do opologise...................I didnt realise that Le Pen , Salvini and Orban participated in the U.K E.U elections , I must pay more attention to the UK EU elections in future

You don't have to apologize, OP was about all EU. 

A grammar police post has been removed. 

Some reports have been cleared. Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules. Misuse of the report button is not allowed.

If you're going to post a "Sad" or "Confused" emoticon on a post, make a reply as to why you're Sad or Confused rather than make a report for pointing out why members are wondering why you're Sad or Confused. 

22 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Has he ever been anything but confused? Just check his reactions

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I find many of the Brexit posts, while replete with emotion confusing.

The constant repeats of statement proven many times to be falsehoods and the lack of understanding of the relationship of the UK with the EU, or indeed of UK Parliamentary democracy and how it operates.

So yes, I find many  Brexiteer posts utterly confusing, often laughably so.

55 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The people who did not vote where the vast majority.

It is difficult therefore for either Remain or Leave to claim this result an endorsement.

It was not a referendum on Brexit.

It certainly is not an argument for Farage to be given any roll in the UK Parliament’s negotiations with the EU.

19 minutes ago, micmichd said:

You don't have to apologize, OP was about all EU. 

Yes, but I dispute the statement that Neo-Nazis participated in the elections .

Yes, there were some Right-Wing groups that participated , but they were not Neo-Nazis

One of the so called Neo-Nazis (Orban) is actually a close ally of Israel .

Right wing yes , Neo Nazi , no

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

The people who did not vote where the vast majority.

It is difficult therefore for either Remain or Leave to claim this result an endorsement.

It was not a referendum on Brexit.

It certainly is not an argument for Farage to be given any roll in the UK Parliament’s negotiations with the EU.

But if Brexiters want to argue that it is a kind of referendum, then the results show a plurality of votes for parties that clearly favor remain.

Archived