Reality or urban myth? Thais claim playing on phones led to lightning death

webfact

Reality or urban myth? Thais claim playing on phones led to lightning death

6pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Authorities in Prachinburi issued a warning to people playing on mobile phones after a couple were struck by lightning in a shack in a field.

Yet much evidence online suggests such ideas are urban myths. 

Kriangkrai Somngamsa-art, 31, from Chachoengsao died in Kabinburi Hospital but Phetchabun native Monreudee Phiwphan, also 31, survived. 

The incident happened in a field near the Ban Nong Bua School in Kabinburi.

Relative Withoon Phonngam, 47, said that while he was praying in the shack he warned the couple to stop playing with their phones because there was lightning in the area. 

He said there was a flash and he thought the couple were teasing when the couple convulsed. 

He went back to his prayers only to realize moments later that they were not joking. 

Officials warned people about mobile phone usage in storms as this could have been the reason they were struck, reported Thai Rath. 

Thaivisa research shows that there is much online evidence to suggest that such assertions are urban myths that began originally with an Internet hoax. 

Much scientific opinion suggests that it is perfectly safe to use cellphones during storms. 

Evidence suggests that the couple were probably in the wrong place at the wrong time - and their shack represented the highest point for an electrical current to be attracted to rather than any metal within or signal from the phone. 

What is your opinion? Urban myth or plausible theory?

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
 -- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-27

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

Evidence suggests that the couple were probably in the wrong place at the wrong time - and their shack represented the highest point for an electrical current to be attracted to rather than any metal within or signal from the phone. 

What is your opinion? Urban myth or plausible theory?

Definitely the shack being the highest point which is why you never take cover under trees and not using their mobile to play games .

5 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

This myth has probably come about due to lightning striking a landline while someone was on the phone. 

That and also charging your mobile from the mains electricity  while using it when lightning strikes.

2 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

This myth has probably come about due to lightning striking a landline while someone was on the phone. 

Very likely, but trying to get people here to separate the logic between landlines - with a physical cable, and mobiles (while not plugged in & charging) is as difficult as pushing string uphill.

This nonsense repeatedly brings me close to outburst of fury!

My two "girls" annoy me with this BS every time lightning is around.

Any attempt with rational arguments is useless.

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

struck by lightning in a shack in a field.

You could hold a chicken drumstick in your hand and be struck by lightning "in a shack in a field".

Sooo stupid!

Same Thai people will quietly sit and watch TV while heavy lightning is around.

Devices connected to satellite dishes hanging outside.

No idea of pulling the plugs.

At the brother-in-law that "killed" the nice flatscreen TV.

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

This nonsense repeatedly brings me close to outburst of fury!

My two "girls" annoy me with this BS every time lightning is around.

Any attempt with rational arguments is useless.

You could hold a chicken drumstick in your hand and be struck by lightning "in a shack in a field".

Sooo stupid!

It's the grease on the chicken drumstick that attracts the lightning!

42 minutes ago, johng said:

Pitty "The Mythbusters"   didn't do an episode about this.

They busted the cell phone in petrol stations myth

https://mythbusters.fandom.com/wiki/Cell_Phone_Destroys_Gas_Station_(Myth)

I was going to point this out also.  It is still posted in most every petrol station to turn off your phone.  I doubt very many comply. 

Teacher asks kid at school " what's the difference between lightning and electricity " .? Kid quick as a flash " lightning kills for free but electric you have to pay for " ..

What do you call a cow struck by lightning .? .. ground beef .. 

You never hear long-winded jokes about lightning .. they're always over quick as a flash .. 

Seriously in a country where the word barmy doesn't get anywhere near describing what goes on in the heads of some Thais is this all that surprising .. I mean how many different shades of ghost do they have here ? .. that alone should shine a light onto their grip on reality sometimes .. 

I translated this story. I was not prepared to send it out as a direct translation from the Thai as I don't believe we should be in the business of perpetuating these absurd myths. My question in the headline is a tad rhetorical....

Rooster

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Same Thai people will quietly sit and watch TV while heavy lightning is around.

Devices connected to satellite dishes hanging outside.

No idea of pulling the plugs.

At the brother-in-law that "killed" the nice flatscreen TV.

I remember as a young boy my father always switched off the T.V. during a thunderstorm. Damn annoying on a Saturday night when the lone ranger was about to start !!!!

Anything that stops people wasting time and intellect (?) on so called smartphones can only be a good thing.

Not to mention the waste of money.

Sent from my quasi-illegal, much maligned, about to be ostracised, Huawei smart pad thingy. Oh shit, here comes the flashbang!

It's certainly unwise to be using your phone when it's connected to a charger during a storm, moreso if you are wearing cans.

But just using the phone when it's physically disconnected from the world, no issue.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Relative Withoon Phonngam, 47, said that while he was praying in the shack he warned the couple to stop playing with their phones because there was lightning in the area. 

He said there was a flash and he thought the couple were teasing when the couple convulsed. 

He went back to his prayers only to realize moments later that they were not joking.

I'm actually surprised that this article isn't about the power of prayer!

''Look, those two were struck but I was not. What more proof do you need?''

You will, by the way find similar a similar controversy in the western world as to whether it is safe to use a mobile whilst in a filling station.

23 hours ago, johng said:

Pitty "The Mythbusters"   didn't do an episode about this.

They busted the cell phone in petrol stations myth

https://mythbusters.fandom.com/wiki/Cell_Phone_Destroys_Gas_Station_(Myth)

I heard the mobile phone not to be used at petrol stations was to do with the signal possibly distorting the pump readout.....although the stations claim it is an explosion risk!

On 5/27/2019 at 10:04 AM, taichiplanet said:

That and also charging your mobile from the mains electricity  while using it when lightning strikes.

While in the rooftop bath and holding the copper piping with your other hand and your big toe rammed up the tap. 

Archived