Soda water: how many per day?

I've taken to drinking soda water with a splash of pomelo juice, usually with a giant ice cube.  I now drink 3-5 bottles (330ml) per day coz it's so damn hot in CM.  I need the liquid and that much beer = not good. 

Bloke told me excess soda water was detrimental to my health but he gave no authority to such a statement. How can soda water harm me?  A bit of CO2 gas in my belly is nothing, otherwise it's plain water, highly overpriced and packed in heavy glass bottles which themselves are a nuisance to toss.

Anyone here drinking lots of soda and any negative reports?

What else to drink in this hellish heat?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

27 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Anyone here drinking lots of soda and any negative reports?

What else to drink in this hellish heat?

Sure enough, I did a quick Internet search and found several websites warning that drinking carbonated water will leech calcium from your bones, causing osteoporosis. Others claimed that carbonated beverages can harm the enamel on your teeth, irritate your stomach, or even cause cancer.

I drink ice tea, ice coffee, water, water with a touch of soda sometimes, water with a drop of lemon cordial & beer. 

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Sure enough, I did a quick Internet search and found several websites warning that drinking carbonated water will leech calcium from your bones, causing osteoporosis. Others claimed that carbonated beverages can harm the enamel on your teeth, irritate your stomach, or even cause cancer.

I drink ice tea, ice coffee, water, water with a touch of soda sometimes, water with a drop of lemon cordial & beer. 

Not true in respect of carbonated water, called club soda un the US.  See article below.

it is important to keep hydrated most of all. Carbonated water is fine - it's the additives that cause issues.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-health-benefits-of-water

I mainly drink cold bottled water with a dash of pure lemon or lime juice, very refreshing. I don't like the after taste of soda water, although carbonated water is fine, but hard to find sometimes. 

I would not worry about it too much no real proof about it so far. 

Besides if the alternative is beer then this is a lot better. 

I bought some rehydration packages on Iherb, just for the taste of it they are only like 10 calories a drink so that is not much at all but it taste a lot better then just water. Might be an option.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Emergen-C-Electro-Mix-Electrolyte-Replacement-Drink-Mix-Natural-Lemon-Lime-30-Packets-0-14-oz-4-g-Each/17246

Its great for me as i cant drink water alone I wish i could this works for me.

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Not true in respect of carbonated water, called club soda un the US.  See article below.

it is important to keep hydrated most of all. Carbonated water is fine - it's the additives that cause issues.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-health-benefits-of-water

You've lost me,

Carbonated (sparkling) water is water that has been infused with carbon dioxide gas. Is it bad for you, or good? This article looks at the evidence.

Too much is not good.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

After you sure they weren't referring to sweetened, carbonated drinks with added sugar? All the medical sites I've looked at say that soda water is pretty much benign or even beneficial - especially for digestion.

See for example, the Healthline article on the link below:

Carbonated water - good or bad?

6 hours ago, robblok said:

I bought some rehydration packages on Iherb, just for the taste of it they are only like 10 calories a drink so that is not much at all but it taste a lot better then just water. Might be an option.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Emergen-C-Electro-Mix-Electrolyte-Replacement-Drink-Mix-Natural-Lemon-Lime-30-Packets-0-14-oz-4-g-Each/17246

You do realize that the powdered lemon & lime is just chemical flavouring, all man-made, nothing natural?

I have cold water with the juice of a whole lime in the mornings or if I'm really thirsty.

I really enjoy soda water mixed with hops and barley and rice, having been left to ferment for a while.... 

4 minutes ago, grollies said:

You do realize that the powdered lemon & lime is just chemical flavouring, all man-made, nothing natural?

I have cold water with the juice of a whole lime in the mornings or if I'm really thirsty.

I really enjoy soda water mixed with hops and barley and rice, having been left to ferment for a while.... 

Of course i realise it, but it has almost no calories and it tastes good has some minerals in it so its great. It keeps me from drinking things that are far worse. I am not sure what your problem is with man made. 

My opinion is simple perfection is nice but if its not sustainable (for me drinking just water or juicing limes is not sustainable) then don't go for it. Its better to take something that you can keep drinking and you like then going for the best (just water) but getting bored of it and falling back on sugary drinks. 

I have a similar opinion about exercise, better to something then nothing even if its not the best there is. Consistency over a long period will yield results.

For me taking this prevents me from taking, the sugary drinks. If i try to replace the sugary drinks with water ill get bored and go back to the sugary drinks. 

6 hours ago, robblok said:

I drink simular to that dehydration pack with soda water ????

11 minutes ago, robblok said:

Of course i realise it, but it has almost no calories and it tastes good has some minerals in it so its great. It keeps me from drinking things that are far worse. I am not sure what your problem is with man made. 

My opinion is simple perfection is nice but if its not sustainable (for me drinking just water or juicing limes is not sustainable) then don't go for it. Its better to take something that you can keep drinking and you like then going for the best (just water) but getting bored of it and falling back on sugary drinks. 

I have a similar opinion about exercise, better to something then nothing even if its not the best there is. Consistency over a long period will yield results.

For me taking this prevents me from taking, the sugary drinks. If i try to replace the sugary drinks with water ill get bored and go back to the sugary drinks. 

Ok, but I would prefer personally to drink natural lime juice with water over chemicals made in a factory. My water comes from a borehole (water tested) and has plenty of mineral content.

My drink is totally sustainable as I grow the limes. I don't really get your point on 'sustainability' in this context.

I totally agree with you on the sugary drinks and have quit them a while ago. The sugar-free alternatives are just as bad for you.

BTW your lemon & lime drinks contain sugar but you know that.

6 minutes ago, grollies said:

Ok, but I would prefer personally to drink natural lime juice with water over chemicals made in a factory. My water comes from a borehole (water tested) and has plenty of mineral content.

My drink is totally sustainable as I grow the limes. I don't really get your point on 'sustainability' in this context.

I totally agree with you on the sugary drinks and have quit them a while ago. The sugar-free alternatives are just as bad for you.

BTW your lemon & lime drinks contain sugar but you know that.

With sustainable means me keep doing it not it being available of from yourself. My problem is that your solution squeezing limes and stuff bores me after a while. It takes effort (yes I am lazy) and not as nice and easy as just opening a package and mixing.

So what would happen to me (not you your more disciplined in this) that I would get bored with the taste and the fact that I had to squeeze a lime every time (and buying them making sure I dont run out its easier to do with packages then limes.

Then I would revert back to my bad habit of drinking sugary drinks. So me doing this prevents me from doing something worse. Its not perfect but its an improvement on what it was and this I can keep up (sustainable). 

So i go for a less then perfect solution that beats the alternative. 

Having said that there is not much wrong with this, especially for someone like me who works out a lot and can use the extra calcium, potassium, and magnesium. I actually have to take tablets and drink these things so I don't cramp up during a workout. I sweat that much and workout that hard.

I drink 5-7 liters of bubble water a day.   I used to drink that much of other things, and believe this is a healthy choice.    I put a blast of apple cider vineagar and some stevia drops in it too. 

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

With sustainable means me keep doing it not it being available of from yourself. My problem is that your solution squeezing limes and stuff bores me after a while. It takes effort (yes I am lazy) and not as nice and easy as just opening a package and mixing.

So what would happen to me (not you your more disciplined in this) that I would get bored with the taste and the fact that I had to squeeze a lime every time (and buying them making sure I dont run out its easier to do with packages then limes.

Then I would revert back to my bad habit of drinking sugary drinks. So me doing this prevents me from doing something worse. Its not perfect but its an improvement on what it was and this I can keep up (sustainable). 

So i go for a less then perfect solution that beats the alternative. 

Having said that there is not much wrong with this, especially for someone like me who works out a lot and can use the extra calcium, potassium, and magnesium. I actually have to take tablets and drink these things so I don't cramp up during a workout. I sweat that much and workout that hard.

I thought you said you were lazy? As an avid health-concious person, dedicated to working out I would have thought it anathema to then go and stuff yourself with chemicals rather than squeeze a lime. I mean, really, you are too lazy to squeeze a lime? Seriously? Squeezing the juice from a lime is much quicker than booting up your xomputer, going online, placing an order, putting in your payment details and receiving the item. You have a few issues I think.

13 minutes ago, grollies said:

I thought you said you were lazy? As an avid health-concious person, dedicated to working out I would have thought it anathema to then go and stuff yourself with chemicals rather than squeeze a lime. I mean, really, you are too lazy to squeeze a lime? Seriously? Squeezing the juice from a lime is much quicker than booting up your xomputer, going online, placing an order, putting in your payment details and receiving the item. You have a few issues I think.

Not really just an other interpretation of what is damaging for health then you. So far I have seen almost no bad reports about stevia. (that is the chemical used). I have looked into artificial flavoring there are is no compelling evidence its bad.

Lazy might not be the right word for it, just can't be bothered with squeezing a lime every time when I want a drink. I tried it before and i like this better taste wise.

But to each his or her own we all set priorities and find other stuff less important. The fear of Stevia ranks quite low.. lower then the chance that my limes might have been treated with pesticides making them worse then anything else. (i have to buy them I don't grow them).

I put plenty of work in the rest of my food, this just does not rank high on my list after having done my research. There is almost no stevia in this product as it does not need much sweetening. So far there is no conclusive evidence about it at all. Rat tests show danger human tests show no danger. 

The insulin spike is dose dependent and as I said quite low in this product. 

https://www.livescience.com/39601-stevia-facts-safety.html

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not really just an other interpretation of what is damaging for health then you. So far I have seen almost no bad reports about stevia. (that is the chemical used). I have looked into artificial flavoring there are is no compelling evidence its bad.

Lazy might not be the right word for it, just can't be bothered with squeezing a lime every time when I want a drink. I tried it before and i like this better taste wise.

But to each his or her own we all set priorities and find other stuff less important. The fear of Stevia ranks quite low.. lower then the chance that my limes might have been treated with pesticides making them worse then anything else. (i have to buy them I don't grow them).

I put plenty of work in the rest of my food, this just does not rank high on my list after having done my research. There is almost no stevia in this product as it does not need much sweetening. So far there is no conclusive evidence about it at all. Rat tests show danger human tests show no danger. 

The insulin spike is dose dependent and as I said quite low in this product. 

https://www.livescience.com/39601-stevia-facts-safety.html

Absolutely fair enough mate and I'm not criticising you at all, we are all free to make our own decisions in life. I'm just posting my opinion which differs from yours. I wish you well. Sorry about the 'issues' comment, retracted.

In all seriousness I would be more concerned about the pomelo than the club soda. Pomelo is of the same family as grapefruit and grapefruit can have some serious interactions with prescription medication,

The list of medications that can interact with grapefruit includes commonly prescribed medications that:

Fight infection

Reduce cholesterol

Treat high blood pressure

Treat heart problems

Prevent organ rejection

Treat anxiety

Control seizures

Minimize motion sickness

Treat erectile dysfunction

Replace hormones

Reduce cough

Control pain

No worries on the meds, matey.   I take none. Only fish oil and Vita C each day.  True, when randy i pop a 'dick pill', but never wash down with pomelo, or grapefruit juice.

And to clear up, the soda water i drink is not sugared.  I do like Tonic water but that has loads of white sugar so to be avoided, although the quinine may be good for me.

Archived