BANGKOK 22 July 2019 19:25

21 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Not true in respect of carbonated water, called club soda un the US.  See article below.

it is important to keep hydrated most of all. Carbonated water is fine - it's the additives that cause issues.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-health-benefits-of-water

Curious the article doesn't talk of the additives you mentioned which is what? Thanks

56 minutes ago, grollies said:

No way are you getting away with that.

On average, 100g of cola has 11g of sugar.

So a small (say 345ml) bottle of cola has 38g of sugar.

Lime juice contains 1.7g of sugar per 100g.

The equivalent 345ml bottle of lime juice would contain 6g of sugar.

Would I be likely to drink 1 or 2  small bottles of cola per day? Sure.

Would I be likely to drink 1 or 2 small bottles of lime juice (and, don't forget, we're talking freshly squeezed lime juice) per day? No way. Let's assume I'd drink 30ml of lime juice per day. That's around 0.5g sugar.

Your claim that the electrolyte drinks are sugar-free is rubbish, some have 'no added sugar' some have natural sweeteners like stevia. There are one or two products that are sugar-free but they are very expensive.

I'd be more concerned about people who install R/O water filters for their drinking water. That'll remove all trace minerals and start leeching minerals from your body. Plus they waste around 40% of water used in the process.

A balanced diet will provide all the vitamins and minerals you need. I do a lot of physical work and sweat a great deal. I drink plenty of our borehole water and eat well. I've recently cut out sugar drinks, rice, bread, pasta and potatoes (I'll have one meal per week with one of those carbs) and have substituted the carbs for lentils. I eat lots of yoghurt, fresh fruit, museli, nuts, garlic, ginger (Indian curries at least 3 times a week) and am already losing weigh and feeling better.

Refined sugar is really bad for you.

And to keep on topic, soda water with juice of 1 lime and ice is the only drink that really quenches my thirst. 

This is your quote

BTW your lemon & lime drinks contain sugar but you know that.

And this is the link robblok provided for his lemon & lime drink

• Like 1

I drink a lot of cold water at 2 degrees celcius. Delicious and soothes the heat.

"highly overpriced and packed in heavy glass bottles which themselves are a nuisance to toss."  95% of water at my local Tops, BigC, Tesco & 7-11 come in very thin walled plastic bottles. 6 X 1.5 litres @ 49 baht, that's hardly expensive, & I'm on a relatively tight budget. Leave the glass or plastic bottles at your front door-gate & they'll soon disappear.

I to drink the Carbonated water here are we talking in Thailand the Chang/Rock that goes for 9 baht at the 7/11?

I don't drink sodas like coke but like the carbonation can drink it straight no need for any added favor.

I was told not too many do to the sodium, but the bottles here do not list anything even in Thai as to the content I drink maybe 1 every other day.

When you get older it seems everything you like you can't have any longer I recently found a drink at Tops it is cabornated water but 18 baht you find it on the shelf called HBD sparkling water " cola lime favored "  no sugar zero Cal?  made in Thailand had a Thai read the label said 1% sodium don't care for the favor is that going to kill me?🏋️‍♀️

Another stupid question  Search the internet and you will find the answer.

Despite being nearly 75, I'm built like a racing snake and never have a day's illness despite preferring soda to still water. I wonder what sort of shape those posting on the dangers of soda drinking are in? There are things far worse for your health than drinking soda water, being a couch potato and over-eating for example. I also have a few scotches of an evening, but at 75 why should I worry?

I have a little chubby German friend who's always advising me on the things I should and shouldn't be eating and drinking. This despite him spending most of his time in the kitchen cooking up delights for himself and never exercising. He's a good lad so I just smile and say "Ja"

I think I can state catagorically that there are many far worse things to drink than soda water and compared to most of the rubbish we stick down our throats, isn't worth worrying about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Curious the article doesn't talk of the additives you mentioned which is what? Thanks

It's the additives in other 'soda drinks', not carbonated water. 

I'm just going to keep drinking my plain soda water because the alternatives are Coke and beer.

The soda water is just water and CO2.

How can that be worse for me than the other things that I used to drink?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Despite being nearly 75, I'm built like a racing snake and never have a day's illness despite preferring soda to still water. I wonder what sort of shape those posting on the dangers of soda drinking are in? There are things far worse for your health than drinking soda water, being a couch potato and over-eating for example. I also have a few scotches of an evening, but at 75 why should I worry?

I have a little chubby German friend who's always advising me on the things I should and shouldn't be eating and drinking. This despite him spending most of his time in the kitchen cooking up delights for himself and never exercising. He's a good lad so I just smile and say "Ja"

I think I can state catagorically that there are many far worse things to drink than soda water and compared to most of the rubbish we stick down our throats, isn't worth worrying about.

Aber naturlich.  SicherheitsmaBnamen!  Krankenwagen Nein!

Edited by samuttodd

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, essox essox said:

why NOT just drink plain cool water.....????

Because the bubbles are so much more refreshing in your mouth and also in your stomach. I find that soda water calms my stomach far better than flat water does. I drink 3-6 bottles/day, sometimes with fruit juice, but mostly straight from the bottle. Beer does the same, but I'm a lightweight and can't really drink more than a couple without paying a price.

Edited by GalaxyMan
  • Like 1

I've been drinking cold green tea with soda for the last 35 years here; megalitres of the stuff.
Boil two litres of water with a few (fresh) Pandamus leafs (which grow outside on the balcony) - this is for taste only.

Once the water boils, switch off the gas and add three heaped soup (not coffee) spoons of green tea leafs (or any other tea) and, in my case, 10 tablets of artificial sugar. Let it cool down, pour it into a jug and keep it in the fridge.

Fill a drinking glass with 1/3 of the green tea "concentrate", fill up with soda - et voila. You might have to find your own formula to match your taste.

Done this for half my life and no side effects of calcium erosion etc. according to my latest check-up result.

I drink about 2-3 bottles of soda a day, most of the time mixed with a bit of fruit juice. As I was enjoying it so much, I got worried about drinking too much and researched it. Couldn't find any data that would suggest it being dangerous.

• Like 1

One of its main health advantages is that it comes in glass bottles not plastic bottles. It has no sugar or any other additives and calories. its a beneficial drink.

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

This is your quote

And this is the link robblok provided for his lemon & lime drink

I was specifically quoting your statement that:

''Hmmm I don't think so. Those electrolyte packs are sugar free.

It is your limes that contain sugar. Quite significant amounts of it too.''

Freshly-squeezed lime juice does not contain significant amounts of sugar as you incorrectly stated. This is why lime juice tastes sour, not sweet.........? You do understand this point right?

The electrolyte packs contain artificial sweeteners which are supposedly just as bad for you as refined sugar (stevia extract). The ingredients list read like a chemistry lesson.

Anyway, I'm done.