Antivirus

swm59nj

I have used a desktop in the USA. I have Kaspersky Internet Security Installed in it. I see they have a global version also. I purchased a laptop here in the USA to use when I move to Thailand. Kaspersky tech support says I cannot use the USA version of their anti-virus in Thailand. That I have to use the global version. So does this mean that if I install any brand of antivirus while still in the USA on the laptop.  The antivirus wont work in Thailand?  

A member on here had big problems trying to get rid of Kaspersky of his PC some time ago.

It was mentioned in a post a couple of months back.

just saying. I'll check if I can find the topic and his post.

The topic is about "Kaspersky Internet Security" not simply the antivirus SW.

Can make a big difference.

I tried hard to find details about their different versions to no avail.

But indeed on their download site:

https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/internet-security

The list selections result in completely different download links.

As a strict "non user" of any 3rd party antivirus or net nanny SW I can't help much.

But I am afraid you have to believe what tech support told you.

In general I never came across hints that antivirus(!) SW is localized in regard to functionality.

Might be different for net nannies(?).

Whether all this is related to the banning of Kaspersky products for US government use?

Do you have the license key?

If so you should be able to uninstall KIS and install the global version and then register it to the same key. KIS uninstalls easily, I've recently had to uninstall reinstall when upgrading from Win7 to Win10. The issue with uninstall mentioned above was with a version on ASUS computers. I've had no problems with Dell.

If it won't let you register the key on the global version it's easy to buy a license key cheap on eBay.

A USA version will work fine anywhere in the world "once activated."   I use Norton 360 (now called Norton Security) anti virus.  When I renewed recently (i.e., bought the cheapest license off Ebay) the Ebay said this license is for the USA....and all that means is it must be activated in the U.S. 

I live in Thailand.  Once getting the license emailed to me I first tried activating the new license "within Thailand...using Thai IP address"....the activation process said no can do.  I then used my VPN to make a VPN connection to the US....I now have a US IP address.  I try again activating the license and it does...no problem.   Now that it's activated it could care less where I'm at in the universe....I get security updates....working 100% here in Thailand...and will continue to work 100% globally.

Summary:  If a license says global or US (or whatever country) version, that just means it can either be activated globally or you must activate in a specific country....once "activated" it will work globally.

Archived