PM Prayut: Govt accelerates solutions to people’s problems

webfact

PM: Govt accelerates solutions to people’s problems

f7eddf73be1d1262bc4663454d1817a0.jpg

BANGKOK, 27 May 2019 (NNT) - The Prime Minister has reiterated that the government has implemented solutions to the problems of people in the community, despite the transition period. He pointed out that the prices of palm oil and rubber have gradually gone up thanks to the government measures.

Deputy Government Spokesman Lt. Gen. Weerachon Sukhonthapathiphak disclosed today that Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha has closely followed up on the issue of the agricultural crop price slump, especially the prices of palm oil and rubber. The price of palm fruit has gradually increased to 2.15-2.60 baht per kilogram from 1.80 baht per kilogram, as a result of the government’s measures to solve the problem; such as by using palm oil to generate electricity at Bangpakong Power Plant, reducing the price of biodiesel B20 by five baht per liter and promoting the use of palm oil for cooking through sales at Blue Flag Pracharat shops.

Meanwhile, the Deputy Government Spokesman said the price of third-class smoked rubber sheet is now 53.63 baht per kilogram which is higher than in the previous period. This year, the government will invite entrepreneurs to reduce rubber exports voluntarily according to an agreement with neighboring countries, in order to increase rubber prices. The government has also urged various agencies to use rubber as a material in the construction of roads around the countr, to help lessen the quantity of rubber held in stock.

The prime minister emphasized that despite the transition period, the government has not refrained from taking action in response to the difficulties of farmers and the general public. The government will seriously and continually expedite and follow up on solutions to every problem. However, some issues require more time to solve because they are complicated.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-05-27

Not sure if this has been translated correctly. Where it say " The Prime Minister has reiterated that the government has implemented solutions to the problems of people in the community " perhaps it should have read

The Prime Minister has reiterated that the government has implemented problems to the solutions by people in the community  ????

A good step would be to stop importing so much Palm oil from Malaysia. The Thai domestic consumption is not great and importing the oil leads to a surplus; thus dropping the price at the factory gate.

"The government has also urged various agencies"

There always seems to be this urging to solve problems, is there ever any planning, legislation or adaptation of sound proven methods to deal with issues.

2 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

"The government has also urged various agencies"

There always seems to be this urging to solve problems, is there ever any planning, legislation or adaptation of sound proven methods to deal with issues.

To be fair to this government, they don't always 'urge'. Often they 'order'. 

PM: I made the palm oil price go up and then I accelerated the rubber. I am a serious expediter of stuff that needs to be expedited seriously.

I have several government spokespeople to tell you the latest truths: I am the medicine to your headaches, I am the amulet dangling from your rear view mirror, I am your hardworking superhero in uniform.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The price of palm fruit has gradually increased to 2.15-2.60 baht per kilogram from 1.80 baht per kilogram, as a result of the government’s measures to solve the problem

Did anybody know that i wai'ed a palm tree last month, and now the price increased from 1.8 to 2.15-2.6 baht per kg.

I think i also deserve part of the praise here.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

using palm oil to generate electricity at Bangpakong Power Plant, reducing the price of biodiesel B20 by five baht per liter and promoting the use of palm oil for cooking through sales at Blue Flag Pracharat shops.

How much did this "solution" cost the Thai tax payer ?  Robbing Peter to pay Paul comes to mind. 

3 hours ago, wendyfromoz said:

isn't he only the caretaker p.m?  I didn't think he had any real power at the moment

No.

He decided "caretaker" status specified in the Constitution didn't apply to him. Until the day that he presents the members of the new Executive Branch for endorsement, he retains absolute power through Article 44.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He pointed out that the prices of palm oil and rubber have gradually gone up thanks to the government measures.

To be honest, he's talking about domestic prices that because of government manipulation has no semblance to much lower global prices

4 hours ago, wendyfromoz said:

isn't he only the caretaker p.m?  I didn't think he had any real power at the moment

sadly, not true, as head of the NCPO he has vast unchecked and unchallenged power; he has one huge bazooka sitting on his desk called section 44 and with this he can do pretty much what he wants to anyone he wants. He doesnt even need to use it, the threat is enough. Whatever he does automatically becomes lawful under the interim constitution.

He will only lose this power (under the new constitution) once a government has been formed.  One reason, i guess, he is not exerting too much pressure to hurry the process along. In theory, if he becomes the Prime Minister leading a new   government he will lose his section 44 prerogative. He may then still be Prime Minister but his power will be much diminished, and he will just become a normal politician (minus his big bazooka). my hunch is that he wont like this one bit. i expect this will emerge as a major issue over the next weeks and months.    

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He pointed out that the prices of palm oil and rubber have gradually gone up thanks to the government measures.

Ain't these 2 crops grown mainly in the South. Junta has much to thank their base for helping them seize and retaining power. 

59 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Ain't these 2 crops grown mainly in the South. Junta has much to thank their base for helping them seize and retaining power. 

Just a quick recall but I think rubber production is split about evenly between the South and the North.

It has been through former Deputy PM Suthep who has been since the coup representing the Southern plantation rubber growers network for higher government subsidies from PM Prayut.

Historically the southern rubber growers have supported pro-military governments and expected with Prayut's 2014 coup that they would get sustainable rubber prices as high as 90baht/kg. But after five years the best Prayut has delivered (for domestic use only) I think about 60baht/kg.

33 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

The palm oil and rubber prices have been dropping continuously over the past 5 years.. So a tiny rise from 1.80 to 2.15 doesn't really represent anything positive that this junta has done !! 

My wife's family own alot of land with para rubber and after the coup the junta pressed the prices down to 40 baht per kg. Those trees they've been growing for 20 years became almost worthless since they take up so much space where something more valuable can be grown. 

Funny how they lower the prices that much and then rise it a tiny bit 5 years later and take credit for helping palm and para rubber farmers. No shame at all. 

This doesn't really change anything and we will cut most of it down next year, sell the wood and use the free space for cannabis plantation. 

1 hour ago, wordchild said:

he will just become a normal politician

Except for the fact that he'll have significant "influence" over the Senate, the EC, the NACC, the judicial system, etc. with his selected candidates. As it stands he may also have a pro-military majority of seats in the House. On a broader spectrum his 20-year National Strategy developed by his National Reform Committee cannot be challenged except through constitutional amendments that effectively smothers any opposition party political agenda.

Not specific for this government but in the last 35 years of me being in this country I can attest, that whenever the ruling government of Thailand interfered, some few selected allies got VERY rich while the rest lost left, right and centre.

Real trade would be regulated by free market and not by corrupt crooks in the government ensuring preferential deals with some real crooks. Why do you need licenses to export rice, rubber etc.? Let the market decide and things would balance out. This system though does not protect the so selfless interest of the selected few ................

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

The palm oil and rubber prices have been dropping continuously over the past 5 years.. So a tiny rise from 1.80 to 2.15 doesn't really represent anything positive that this junta has done !! 

This is not the whole story, and a little complicated unless one is involved:**

August 2015 -- 4.0 baht

August 2016 -- 7.5 baht

Sept'    2017 -- 4.2 baht

July     2018 -- 4.6 baht

April    2019 -- 2.8 baht

The reason for the steady drop since 2016 is the government buying in 'trade price' oil from Malaysia. Thus reducing the domestic demand, and the price of nuts, at the factory gate, has collapsed accordingly.

There are many big farms (1000 rai+) in Southern Thailand, but also thousands of smaller plantations in other areas including Isaan. All Thai oil palm growers got a hand-out (sweetener) of 22.5k baht in March this year.

Thaksin pledged that there would be 15% oil palm in diesel by 2020 (I think that's correct). Thousands of oil palm farms then cropped up all over Thailand during the following 10 years. Often replacing Eucalyptus plantations. The price of Euka has risen considerably recently and resulted in big re-planting schemes.

** The figures are factory gate prices. If a farm is a fair distance from a processing plant, there are considerable transport costs (as much as 1 baht per kg).

Just as a side point: we cut down 192 oil palm trees this month. Many farmers can't afford to remove them; costly business.

Archived