BANGKOK 19 June 2019 23:43
Clifford S

Child Support Payments

Hi All

I have 2 half Thai kids with my ex Girlfirend ie NEVER married.

We have legitimised our children in the local Thai court a few years ago.

The Ex has applied for Sole Custody, I'm prepared to agree to Dual Custody, or failing that I will Counter Sue for Sole Custody and my lawyers believe I have a stronger case than hers.

We have a Court Mediation session in a month, so I've just been doing some research on TV.

BTW Yes I do have (expensive) lawyers working on my case and attending the Court sessions.

I read in one of the threads from a few years back :

"The court prefers a lump sum payment for child support rather than monthly payments."

Is this really the case, how do the Courts expect a Father to come up with (upto 20 years) on payments in one go ?

In the same thread it was also mention if things were not settled in Mediation the case could go on for years ?

Can Anyone give me there advice or actually experiences on the above 2 points ?

And any details of their time at the Mediation session would be nice to know too...

Cheers

Best

Cliffy....

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't give her any money at all for the kids, if she can't support them, she shouldn't have them.

Thai courts have no way to enforce payment of child support unless you are working in Thailand.

And even then only from registered jobs with WP, tax, SS payments.

It are his kids too. Great father you are. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I provide 1oo% for all my kids living with me, if she wants them with her, she can pay for them.

Never understood the western idea of taking the kids (and money) from dad who can support them, and giving them to a worthless layabout mom who won't work.

So, maybe, but I'll rephrase Frits' question: "Where are you feelings for your kids" ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I provide 100% for all my kids living with me, if she wants them with her, she can pay for them.

Never understood the western idea of taking the kids (and money) from dad who can support them, and giving them to a worthless layabout mom who won't work. 

Why would you marry a "a worthless layabout mom who won't work." in the first place? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Gents for your thoughts...

I'm sure the lump sum which in my case would be about another ten years, would be gone in half of that time, and thhen I'd have to start paying again...monthly this time !

Ps No WP or job here, but a bit of property...

In my experience the Thai family courts really do look out for the best interests of the child.

In my experience also, lawyers on both sides may decide in advance on the result of a case and participate in the financial awards. So a lump sum would possibly suit them better.

The traditional village justice system decided that in the case of separation of parents, girls go to the father, boys to the mother, and this idea is still around.

• Like 1

its a tricky situation - but one I may alps be facing, please update how this goes if you can 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2019 at 5:55 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Why would you marry a "a worthless layabout mom who won't work." in the first place? 

That is a very easy question to answer, it is really so obvious.

Think of why most westerners come here to retire in the first place. Although not so much now due to immigration issues and the strength of the Thai Baht.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2019 at 5:55 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Because that was not what was on the table initially.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1