VIDEO: Fingerprint and facial recognition now scanning passengers at Don Mueang Airport

webfact

VIDEO: Fingerprint and facial recognition now scanning passengers at Don Mueang Airport

dm1.jpg

video screenshot

A biometric scanning system is now in operation at Don Mueang Airport in Bangkok

The system scans the fingerprints of all travellers coming in or going out of the country. 

The system, which also includes facial recognition, is in the process of being rolled out at all immigration checkpoints nationwide as Thailand looks to boost its border security. 

Biometric scanning was first introduced at Phuket Airport earlier this month and has now been fully integrated into passport control at Don Mueang, as well as other major immigration checkpoints in Thailand.

Eventually, a total of 2,000 biometric devices will be installed at 170 points in Thailand by the end of July.

The system will help combat people entering Thailand using counterfeit passports, as well as potentially stopping those who have already been blacklisted from re-entering using new passports. 

Last Friday, the biometric system at Suvarnabhumi International Airport led to the first arrest of a foreigner trying to leave Thailand on a forged passport. 

The man was trying to board a flight to the Philippines using a Malaysian passport in the name Oh Chee Boon.

However, the airport’s biometric system recognised that the man’s face did not match the data stored on the passport’s chip.

Despite initially claiming he was Oh Chee Boon, the man’s passport was later found to be a forgery. 

He was also found to be in possession of $500,000.

Police suspect the man, who remains in custody, is involved in transnational crime. 

Police also said the immigration records from before the biometric system was introduced showed the man had a history of re-entering Thailand via checkpoints on the Thai-Malaysian border. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-27

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The system scans the fingerprints of all travellers coming in or going out of the country. 

The system, which also includes facial recognition,

First you put your fingers on the pad and then your face?

It isn't a bad system but yes, they should also erect one of those hand sanitiser dispensers next to the scanner. We are talking about thousands of hands on that pad, so some concerns about hygiene should be addressed. So many of those dispensers around the city - in public toilets, restaurants, hospitals, shopping centres - you name it. I doubt it will be too expensive to install.

Biometric scanning is good, should as soon !

QUEUING is not good ????  last week Friday evening in Suvarnabhumi Airport, it took me 1 hour 45minutes to go through the Immigration.  yesterday, the queue extended about 200 meters away from the duty free shops at the entrance of the Immigration hall.

how it would happen in a less spacious Don Muang Immigration ?

don't get me wrong, new tech is welcome, but someone should manage the queuing order in a more creative way !

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Biometric scanning was first introduced at Phuket Airport earlier this month

No it wasn't, it's been up and running at Hat Yai Airport since February!

Good news for those of us long term expats living in T’land. Facial recognition scanning has been in place in Abu Dhabi where I work, for the past 4 years. Clearing Customs Immigration both inbound and outbound takes about 2 minutes.

What happens for those who entered haggard, had facial reconstruction (plastic surgery) ??

Grow a beard after entering??

I know mine has refused to let me out of Australia once for some reason, soon sorted by human intervention, but just wondering for those whose appearance has changed

I personally think it is a damn good idea

50 minutes Sunday afternoon to get through immigration at Swampy. They were only allowing people down the escalator from the security check in batches for a while as the immigration area was full.

My only comparison of this sort of system is with India, where they only check 1 finger of one hand instead of all 10 here, which is obviously faster.

Hope it improves as the immigration staff become more familiar. I have PR and the immigration officer needed to call the 'expert' to help him, and it took another 5 minutes on top of the 50 before I actually got through.

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The system, which also includes facial recognition,

First you put your fingers on the pad and then your face?

And then your ass on the line if it doesn't like you !

Goerge Orwell's 1984 on steroids !!!

Just in case anybody thinks this has anything to do with security - nope !!!

It has everything to do with total control.

Social Credit scores to come next.

A total nightmare to anybody who can still use his brain for just a second - not many left it seems !!!

... the media mind control is working perfectly - babies being treated like babies !!!

49 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

What happens for those who entered haggard, had facial reconstruction (plastic surgery) ??

Grow a beard after entering??

I know mine has refused to let me out of Australia once for some reason, soon sorted by human intervention, but just wondering for those whose appearance has changed

I personally think it is a damn good idea

been using biometric technology for years in the uk - though not fingerprints. if the machine fails to recognise you a member of staff guides you to an IO nearby for a human check.

1 hour ago, outsider said:

they should also erect one of those hand sanitiser dispensers next to the scanner. We are talking about thousands of hands on that pad.

Yes definitely,

a week ago at suvarnabhumi i pointed out to the I/O that there were so many  marks on the screen that can they see my prints.

Note also that they do the four fingers on each hand first,

Then the two thumbs together.

With the shape and size of the reader i found it very hard to put the thumbs on together. I had to twist my arms up to my sides in order to get the thumbs onto the screen.

The I /O didnt seem to take any notice of the problem.

Suppose you better have medical insurance in case you do yourself an injury.

What am I getting wrong or missing here,? If the system is just starting up, How can they catch previous criminals who have changed names and acquired new passports as they will have no data,to go on, will they? They will be starting new from scratch, I should imagine?

They have been photographing us in and out for years. OK Now they are adopting similar to the Cambodian system where they fingerprint and handprint as well as this.

The Cambodian one breaks down regularly and Thailand airports are far busier. Nightmare queues to follow methinks!

1 hour ago, outsider said:

It isn't a bad system but yes, they should also erect one of those hand sanitiser dispensers next to the scanner. We are talking about thousands of hands on that pad, so some concerns about hygiene should be addressed. So many of those dispensers around the city - in public toilets, restaurants, hospitals, shopping centres - you name it. I doubt it will be too expensive to install.

So everytime you get coins and paper notes in your change in a shop or restaurant, or use the door handle on a taxi you go looking for a hand sanitiser?

Just now, overherebc said:

So everytime you get coins and paper notes in your change in a shop or restaurant, or use the door handle on a taxi you go looking for a hand sanitiser?

Well I wonder how often they will be cleaned??

I think KL uses the finger print scanner as well, or somewhere else I have gone I seem to recall

I entered through Suvarnabhumi on Saturday morning, took ten to fifteen minutes.
Just to clarify the desk is still staffed by an IO, the system isn’t like the UK where at some borders only the passport is scanned by the passenger, here the IO scans the passport whilst the passenger scans four fingers on their left and then their right hands followed by both thumbs, I don’t think it’s designed to be quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Well I wonder how often they will be cleaned??

I think KL uses the finger print scanner as well, or somewhere else I have gone I seem to recall

Just give it a wipe with your snotty hankie before you use it.

What horrible disease are you going to get from the scanner that you won't get touching the arm of a chair that countless numbers of people have used before you.

Same expiriance here. The system they use for locals and PR sucks. 9 out of 10 times doesn't work and always needs staff to help. I give up and go for a stamp as before. Hope this new system is up to the job. 

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Just give it a wipe with your snotty hankie before you use it.

What horrible disease are you going to get from the scanner that you won't get touching the arm of a chair that countless numbers of people have used before you.

Who has hankies any more??

Well influenza has been transmitted on hands/handrails/ REMEMBER SARS ??

6 minutes ago, Creasy said:

How is Donatella Versace ever going to get into Thailand ? With her face changing every year 

On her private jet and with her personally assigned IO possibly ????

Archived