British bank apps

The Barclays app works OK here.

You have to register your phone with them.

During this process they send you a one-time PIN via SMS.  I had a problem with this - you need to have your data service turned on, otherwise you don't receive the SMS.  Worked fine once I'd sorted that out.

If you change your phone, I believe that you have to de-register the app and then re-register it with the new phone.  I haven't needed to do this yet.

Lloyds, Halifax, HSBC, the Co-op, TSB, Barclays, to name a few all work in Thailand using AIS, via my fibre connection, wifi and using a sim. 

I did find that, when using my True sim, when connecting to Lloyds the connection was sometimes terminated. It didn't happen when using my AIS sim. After talking to both True and Lloyds, it appears that the True system constantly switched between different local receiver stations (resulting, I was told, in causing a different IP address to be used). Lloyds immediately recognised this change and terminated the connection each time because of a possible hacking attempt. Didn't try with other UK banking apps so don't know if they react in the same way.

This was about 4-5 years ago and I haven't used the True sim for banking since so I don't know if it still occurs. I've had no other problems.

Incidentally, if I go to the UK, I simply put a UK PAYG sim in my Thai phone and all my Thai banking apps work perfectly as well, with no problems.

45 minutes ago, trd said:
23 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I keep getting asked to download banking apps for a mobile,would they work here in Thailand or not as my phone obviosly is with a Thai provider.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You are accessing the banking app through the internet so it doesn't matter which phone provider you're with. That's irrelevant.

Not quite irrelevant.

As I said in an earlier post, if you're located where your mobile internet signal switches between two mobile receivers because the signals  are of similar strength, your phone switches between those receivers and it also switches the IP address as it does so. Your UK bank sees the change and could interpet it as a possible hack and could terminate the connection. I know that happens when Lloyds sees that IP change in the middle of a transaction and I know that (used to) happen when using a True sim to access the internet. Never had a problem using an AIS sim though.

Not quite irrelevant.

As I said in an earlier post, if you're located where your mobile internet signal switches between two mobile receivers because the signals  are of similar strength, your phone switches between those receivers and it also switches the IP address as it does so. Your UK bank sees the change and could interpet it as a possible hack and could terminate the connection. I know that happens when Lloyds sees that IP change in the middle of a transaction and I know that (used to) happen when using a True sim to access the internet. Never had a problem using an AIS sim though.
I have used my UK Nationwide banking app both in Thailand and in the UK without a problem and I have used my Thai banking apps from SCB, Kasikorn and Krungsri banks in both Thailand and UK. In no case has IP address ever been an issue.

Just now, trd said:
11 minutes ago, sumrit said:
Not quite irrelevant.

I have used my UK Nationwide banking app both in Thailand and in the UK without a problem and I have used my Thai banking apps from SCB, Kasikorn and Krungsri banks in both Thailand and UK. In no case has IP address ever been an issue.

Likewise,as I said, I have used my Thai (Bangkok bank, Krung Thai, Kasikorn and Thanachart) and UK (Lloyds, Halifax, Co-op and TSB) banking apps in both Thailand and the UK WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.......... except one issue, about four years ago, when using my Lloyds app from Thailand and connecting to the Internet using a True sim on my mobile.

On several occasions Lloyds bank kept terminating the connection in the middle of a transaction when using my Phone but was fine if using wifi, still using my phone.

On contacting Lloyds they explained that they were terminating the connection because their security system was detecting a change of IP address in the middle of the transactions for security reasons because that could mean somebody was trying to hack into the connection. They provided me with the different IP addresses and advised me to contact my Internet provider.

After contacting True they (eventually) explained that in a situation where the internet connection to my phone was from one of two mobile receivers that were at a similar distance and similar strength the connection can (and often does) switch between those two receivers to maintain the strongest signal. When that happens the IP address also changes. It was this change that Lloyds detected and terminated the transaction.

I will repeat this (for me) only occured when using a TRUE sim to connect to the internet.

I continually use my AIS sim as well as my home fibre internet connection and have never had a problem.

I only posted this to show that:

1. The banking system do monitor their connections for any unusual activity and take appropriate action if they think necessary, and
  2. There can be many different issues that can cause a problem. If you contact the banks they will (usually) take the problem seriously and go out of their way to rectify/explain what has happened.

Archived