BANGKOK 16 June 2019 15:18

Posted (edited)

What are the basic steps to be able to start Teaching in Thailand?, I have no degree.

Ive lived here for 10 years, married with kids, work from home. British Nationality.

What course etc would I need to first do, then what would be the next steps.

Joe.

Edited by PST
  • Sad 1

The basic steps are you need a teaching license to be a teacher and you need a university qualification to get the license.

If you have the qualification and license, someone has to employ you as a teacher, a school or your own company, that gets you the WP.

• Like 1

Thanks, so your saying that everyone who teaches in Thailand has a university Qualification?

Joe.

So taking a TEFL/TESOL course of which many are advertised and passing it on its own would not suffice without a degree?. I see many courses advertised that say you don't need a degree to take.

2 hours ago, PST said:

Thanks, so your saying that everyone who teaches in Thailand has a university Qualification?

Joe.

He is saying that a degree is supposed to be necessary to keep those who shouldn't be teaching away from our children who have the right to be taught by qualified people.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, PST said:

So taking a TEFL/TESOL course of which many are advertised and passing it on its own would not suffice without a degree?. I see many courses advertised that say you don't need a degree to take.

You could look at a TEFL etc as an add-on if your degree isn't a teaching degree, usually not as required if your degree is a teaching degree.

A bachelor degree and a TEFL or a teaching degree.

A TEFL isn't a stand alone qualification.

More information here

https://eslauthority.com/teach/thailand/

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

Surely each teacher has to have the best possible qualifications to begin teaching children

What do think you are going to teach?? Possibly English, without real qualifications in the English language, so conversational English is all you would do with a TESOL

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

He is saying that a degree is supposed to be necessary to keep those who shouldn't be teaching away from our children who have the right to be taught by qualified people.

I have kids, and didn't ask for your opinion.

Thanks for your input anyway

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Some way off advice from TV armchair experts in this thread.

Of course you can teach in thailand. You are British National which is basically enough.

I taught at a well known private girls school in Bang Rak and over half of the foreign teachers did not have degrees (mostly South Africans who aren’t even native speakers really as Afrikaans is their native tongue)

The only problem with not having a degree is you can’t get a work permit. Most of these teachers were therefore doing part time degrees in education from a Bangkok university to allow them an education visa.

You will need to get TEFL first.

I’d recommend text and talk academy in Lad Prao for TEFL. I enjoyed the course there and felt it prepared me well for my first day in the classroom. 

Text and Talk will get you job offers before the course has even finished as they are a job agency / work with other agencies too. 

• Like 2

Ive lived here for 10 years, married with kids, work from home. British Nationality...

There was a time... just having been raised in an English speaking country was qualification enough...

Google Thai Uni requirements qualifications for a teaching English position...

Read some of the stories here on TVF of disapointments....

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Sadly, many so called "qualified" people are terrible teachers, just because they have an ology in some crappy useless degree that would about get them employment in nothing more than a call center, are teaching, yet there is vast untapped resources in older expats that have common sense and world knowledge, couple that with a teaching course you will have a far better teacher than the backpacker on a trip round the world. Im not saying all younger teachers arnt fit, many are and my kids before received excellent teaching from younger Westerners.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Hackney35 said:

Some way off advice from TV armchair experts in this thread.

Of course you can teach in thailand. You are British National which is basically enough.

I taught at a well known private girls school in Bang Rak and over half of the foreign teachers did not have degrees (mostly South Africans who aren’t even native speakers really as Afrikaans is their native tongue)

The only problem with not having a degree is you can’t get a work permit. Most of these teachers were therefore doing part time degrees in education from a Bangkok university to allow them an education visa.

You will need to get TEFL first.

I’d recommend text and talk academy in Lad Prao for TEFL. I enjoyed the course there and felt it prepared me well for my first day in the classroom. 

Text and Talk will get you job offers before the course has even finished as they are a job agency / work with other agencies too. 

What a ridiculous comment, being a British national somehow qualifies you to teach in Thailand.

And of course we can all be doctors as well without a degree, a license and Work permit.

Of course you can teach in thailand but without a degree, a license and a work permit its illegal.