UK ever more polarised as Brexit Party storms to EU vote win

webfact

UK ever more polarised as Brexit Party storms to EU vote win

By William James

2019-05-27T033755Z_1_LYNXNPEF4Q05V_RTROPTP_4_EU-ELECTION-BRITAIN-RESULTS.JPG

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage speaks during the results for the European Parliamentary election in Southampton, Britain, May 27, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

SOUTHAMPTON, England (Reuters) - Nigel Farage's Brexit Party stormed to victory in a European election, riding a wave of anger at the failure of Prime Minister Theresa May to take the United Kingdom out of the European Union.

A European Parliament election that the United Kingdom only took part in because May delayed Brexit showed a country even more polarised over the EU divorce nearly three years since a 2016 referendum in which it voted 52% to 48% to leave.

The United Kingdom was supposed to have left on March 29 but it remains a member of the EU and its politicians are still arguing over how, when or even whether the country will leave the club it joined in 1973.

May on Friday announced she was stepping down, saying it was a matter of deep regret that she could not deliver Brexit. The Conservative Party was on course for one of its worst results in a nationwide election ever.

Across England and Wales, voters turned away in anger from May's Conservatives and the opposition Labour Party of Jeremy Corbyn, which had sought a softer version of Brexit.

The Brexit Party came first while explicitly pro-EU parties - the Liberal Democrats, Greens and Change UK - were, combined, a few percentage points behind.

Farage, elected as a Member of the European Parliament for the South East of England, said he wanted to be involved in Brexit negotiations and warned that British politics was on the cusp of major upheaval unless Brexit took place on Oct. 31.

"We want to be part of that negotiating team," Farage said in Southampton, southern England.

"If we don't leave on Oct. 31 then the score that you have seen for the Brexit Party today will be repeated in a general election and we are getting ready for it."

Such a severe election drubbing for the two major parties will stiffen a belief among leading Conservatives vying to replace May that they must go for a more decisive split from the EU.

But it will also increase pressure on Labour's Corbyn to come out explicitly for a second referendum on EU membership.

"This issue will have to go back to the people, whether through a general election or a public vote," Corbyn said. "Over the coming days we will have conversations across our party and movement, and reflect on these results on both sides of the Brexit divide."

BBC projections put the Conservatives on around 10 to 12%, down from 23% in 2014. Labour came third in Wales. The Liberal Democrats even won in Corbyn's home constituency, Islington.

The Brexit Party won around 10 percentage points more than the UK Independence Party did in 2014, partial results showed.

In total, the United Kingdom elects 73 MEPs (Members of the European Parliament) to the 751-seat parliament. They will not contribute directly to British policymaking on domestic issues like Brexit, but will have a say in EU-wide policy as long as they remain in the assembly.

'BREXIT BETRAYAL'

Farage casts Britain's political system as broken and says parliament and the government are trying to thwart Brexit. He wants the United Kingdom to leave the EU as soon as possible and says the damage of a no-deal departure has been exaggerated.

Farage, who as UKIP leader persuaded May's predecessor, David Cameron, to call the Brexit referendum and then helped lead the campaign to leave the EU, has said that failure to implement Brexit would show Britain not to be a democracy.

While the United Kingdom remains deeply divided over Brexit, most agree that it will shape the future of the United Kingdom for generations to come.

Pro-Europeans fear Brexit will make them poorer, undermine London's position as a global financial capital and weaken the West as it grapples with Donald Trump's unpredictable U.S. presidency and growing assertiveness from Russia and China.

The Liberal Democrats, who campaigned under the slogan "Bollocks to Brexit", oppose Brexit and want a second referendum to stop it.

Supporters of Brexit admit there may be some short-term pain for the UK’s $2.9 trillion economy but long-term it will prosper when cut free from the EU which they cast as a failing German-dominated experiment in European integration.

The loss of Britain for the EU is the biggest blow yet to more than 60 years of efforts to forge European unity after two world wars, though the 27 other members of the bloc have shown surprising unity during the tortuous negotiations.

In the 2014 EU Parliament election, what was then Farage's UK Independence Party won with 26.8%, followed by Labour on 24.7% and the Conservatives on 23.3%. The Greens won 7.7% in 2014 and the Liberal Democrats 6.7%. Turnout was 35.6%.

(Writing by Kate Holton and Guy Faulconbridge; Editing by Frances Kerry and Mark John)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-27

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Storms" does seem a bit heavy.

I read a comment somewhere that it is time for the two party system to end, well it does not seem too far off. But what would the alternative be?

A right proper shoeing for the rest of 'em by Farage's lot .. The Tories are in meltdown running round like headless chickens a lot of 'em chucking their severed heads into the hat to become new party leader .. Does anyone care anymore .. What a borrucks up .. 

6 minutes ago, rott said:

I read a comment somewhere that it is time for the two party system to end, well it does not seem too far off. But what would the alternative be?

Well, for all my voting life I have considered that proportional representation is a better reflection of any nations preferences rather than the first past the post in 650 constituencies of the UK. But in my lifetime politics has only been dominated by two parties and neither would want proportional representational as it would not benefit them.  Maybe time to change but if Brexit is difficult to accept/remove then I suspect  PR would be just as difficult.  Therefore IMHO the first referendum should be to the people for /against PR. Then a GE  and the next one a further referendum to stay/leave the EU

15 minutes ago, rott said:

Many countries do OK with coalition governments.

Unfortunately in the last coalition the Lib/Dems sold the students out in favour of a failed referendum for an end to FPTP. 

11 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

No one cared. Stop all the noise and give us a second vote now we know the facts about 'Deals'. This is all Camerons fault.

Deals? Let’s just exit the rotten to the core EU. It’s a bigger world out there than the Brussels bubble. 

Ignore B liar and his phoney war and the scare mongers, let’s meet and trade with the rest of the world. 

British Empire again even? Lol, get on with it, we had the vote already. 

3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Well, for all my voting life I have considered that proportional representation is a better reflection of any nations preferences rather than the first past the post in 650 constituencies of the UK. But in my lifetime politics has only been dominated by two parties and neither would want proportional representational as it would not benefit them.  Maybe time to change but if Brexit is difficult to accept/remove then I suspect  PR would be just as difficult.  Therefore IMHO the first referendum should be to the people for /against PR. Then a GE  and the next one a further referendum to stay/leave the EU

Had it been a GE last Thursday we would have ended with a overall majority by a single issue party that would be extremely right wing with less than a third of the votes cast.

I would say before we have anymore referendums we need to change the rules from a simple majority to a clear majority.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Farage casts Britain's political system as broken and says parliament and the government are trying to thwart Brexit.

That's the crux of it...in a nutshell...no need for long essays.

Im glad at his party showing...says exactly where the mood is....back on track...lets get on with it Nige!

5 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Had it been a GE last Thursday we would have ended with a overall majority by a single issue party that would be extremely right wing with less than a third of the votes cast.

I would say before we have anymore referendums we need to change the rules from a simple majority to a clear majority.

How can the Brexit party honestly be considered for Government when they only have 1 subject that they've shared any views on (& named their party after).

Talk about a 1-trick pony, what about Education, Healthcare, Policing, armed forces, the economy... etc... 

14 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

We had a vote back in 2011 for PR and it was rejected.

PR (in this case) has shown that the UK is split between leave without a deal and staying in with the former further ahead. Also the Brexit party not only hoovered up the ex-UKVIP MEP's but also gained significantly from the Tories and Labour.

5 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I agree. That would resolve many arguments. Other countries adopt a similar strategy

1 minute ago, Chelseafan said:

We had a vote back in 2011 for PR and it was rejected.

PR (in this case) has shown that the UK is split between leave without a deal and staying in with the former further ahead. Also the Brexit party not only hoovered up the ex-UKVIP MEP's but also gained significantly from the Tories and Labour.

Excuse me who had a vote for PR in 2011 ? The British voting public did not have a vote ie a referendum.

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

How can the Brexit party honestly be considered for Government when they only have 1 subject that they've shared any views on (& named their party after).

Talk about a 1-trick pony, what about Education, Healthcare, Policing, armed forces, the economy... etc... 

Well I have not heard yet if following a visit by the Electoral Commision to their offices they are squeaky clean and will not be disqualified.  

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Educate people not to throw milkshakes because of the Health risks. More police and armed forces to arrest the milkshake throwers. Increase the price of said milkshakes etc...

47 minutes ago, rott said:

A new party with less corrupt politicians?

????  Only joking if course..... ☹️

8 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Excuse me who had a vote for PR in 2011 ? The British voting public did not have a vote ie a referendum.

Vote 2011: UK rejects alternative vote

The UK has voted overwhelmingly to reject changing the way MPs are elected - dealing a bitter blow to Nick Clegg on top of heavy Lib Dem poll losses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13297573

Probably the only referendum this millenium that was decided by a clear majority, 2:1 against.

10 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Well I have not heard yet if following a visit by the Electoral Commision to their offices they are squeaky clean and will not be disqualified.  

Quite.  For some reason the electoral commission have been very slow in announcing the result of their raid on the brexit party.....

10 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Vote 2011: UK rejects alternative vote

Probably the only referendum this millenium that was decided by a clear majority, 2:1 against.

It was on an alternative voting system which was put to the vote  !! Not a black and white proportional representation or stay "as is" referendum

28 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I suspect there plan will be to get out of Europe and once that's done they will call another referundum leaving the next party to pick up the pieces.

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Quite.  For some reason the electoral commission have been very slow in announcing the result of their raid on the brexit party.....

AFAIK it was to investigate how the money was collected and gather evidence, probably no crime has been committed until they submit expense returns, (or fail to do so in the alloted time).

I would have thought that if the EC had found issues they would have told the Brexit party, or more to the point had they not found anything they would have told them and I am sure Nigel would have been very keen to tell us they found nothing, the the fact he has not says a lot.

Also Nigel is under investigation following fund raising irregularities while at UKIP by the EUEC. 

23 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I would have thought that if the EC had found issues they would have told the Brexit party, or more to the point had they not found anything they would have told them and I am sure Nigel would have been very keen to tell us they found nothing, the the fact he has not says a lot.

Correct; He asked them to put their verbal 'all clear' in writing, and surprize, surprize...

11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Correct; He asked them to put their verbal 'all clear' in writing, and surprize, surprize...

He can ask what he likes, but how could they (OLAF) have come to an all clear conclusion before they've even considered the case?

"[European Parliament] President Tajani referred the Farage case to the Advisory Committee on the Code of Conduct of Members yesterday (May 21). The committee's earliest possible meeting would be 4 June," a European Parliament spokesperson told Euronews.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/05/22/european-parliament-to-investigate-nigel-farage-over-gifts-from-insurance-tycoon

Look on the bright side, it'll give Aaron Banks a few more weeks to come up with an explanation of where the money came from (or not). 

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He can ask what he likes, but how could they (OLAF) have come to an all clear conclusion before they've even considered the case?

"[European Parliament] President Tajani referred the Farage case to the Advisory Committee on the Code of Conduct of Members yesterday (May 21). The committee's earliest possible meeting would be 4 June," a European Parliament spokesperson told Euronews.

https://www.euronews.com/2019/05/22/european-parliament-to-investigate-nigel-farage-over-gifts-from-insurance-tycoon

Look on the bright side, it'll give Aaron Banks a few more weeks to come up with an explanation of where the money came from (or not). 

I was talking about the Electoral Commission (the clue was in the question I answered). Farage stated what I posted during a closing rally. Whether he/party are up for scrutiny from elsewhere is hardly a cause for concern, given their books haven't balanced in decades.

Archived