Future Forward scores landslide win in Chiang Mai’s election re-run

webfact

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

I think it's called the 'no fail' policy; you know, the same system that makes their education such crap !

The elite don't want the masses educated... they want them to stay quiet and not ask questions, just do as they are told to do!

That's the true "system in Thailand.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, monkfish said:

They did win but the Candidate was disqualified for making a 2000B donation to the local Temple.
Would have been better not to go pray.

Or to respect and observe the law, which makes it illegal to give donations as part of an election run up. Not difficult to understand by most, but ignored by folks who have no morals nor ethics. 

I wonder how the paymaster reacted, after all CM is his home town and I wonder how deeply big sister (now fled) was involved. 

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Or to respect and observe the law, which makes it illegal to give donations as part of an election run up. Not difficult to understand by most, but ignored by folks who have no morals nor ethics. 

I wonder how the paymaster reacted, after all CM is his home town and I wonder how deeply big sister (now fled) was involved. 

Have they both left the building, didn't notice....... 

16 minutes ago, bannork said:

But in Thailand voters only got one vote, not 2 as in Germany etc 

Is that relevant? TIT.

what I find amazing is that in all the moaning and whining about this system, not one person has even commented that FFP were allotted 50 party list seats, 1/3 of the available total. Why? Because they had wide community support, but not strong enough most localities, winning only 30 constituencies. But they received ~17.7% of the total votes, this was multiplied by 500 to give 88, and their 30 seats were topped up to 80 to show their actual level of electorate support. 

That calculation is a simplification and approximation but close enough.

Some may argue that if the vote goes 51/49, 51 wins and the 49 can go cry. Which is the more democratic?

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yea thats what I said isn't it He donated 2000B to the local temple??
I do wonder if Mr P made any donations merit making and all that it's kind of Thai Tradition.

5 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

Is that relevant? TIT.

what I find amazing is that in all the moaning and whining about this system, not one person has even commented that FFP were allotted 50 party list seats, 1/3 of the available total. Why? Because they had wide community support, but not strong enough most localities, winning only 30 constituencies. But they received ~17.7% of the total votes, this was multiplied by 500 to give 88, and their 30 seats were topped up to 80 to show their actual level of electorate support. 

Some may argue that if the vote goes 51/49, 51 wins and the 49 can go cry. Which is the more democratic?

The system was designed specifically so the Pro Junta Party would have a better chance of winning and that is not in the spirit of democracy.

"According to an unofficial count, Srinuan Boonlue won 75,891 votes in the re-election, which was held after the Election Commission suspended Surapon Kietchaiyakorn, a Pheu Thai candidate, for allegedly buying votes."

So now I'm confused was he disqualified for buying votes or for making a donation to the temple?
Or is the Story info above false news?

2 minutes ago, monkfish said:

The system was designed specifically so the Pro Junta Party would have a better chance of winning and that is not in the spirit of democracy.

Try to get over your anti-junta bias. They had the largest vote count and didn't benefit hugely from the system.

Having representation in proportion to community support is not only more democratic, it is likely to reduce political violence from those who feel they are ignored. 

34 minutes ago, scorecard said:

You are absolutely right, to donate 2000B to a temple is indeed an immoral and unethical act. Everybody else understood it and that's why no other candidate made any donations to temples.

Sure.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

A constituency in Chiang Mai, the Shins stronghold and PTP don't win??

Ah the man with the Thaksin complex is back.

I reckon the smog/air problems in the North were down to him, as well as the security problems in the South and the price of diesel. It's all his fault.

By the way, my missus, aged 40 and been a Thaksin/Red voter ever since i've known her, voted FFP.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

5 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

You are absolutely right, to donate 2000B to a temple is indeed an immoral and unethical act. Everybody else understood it and that's why no other candidate made any donations to temples.

Sure.

How sweet you are, like anywhere there are folks who respect the law and there are those who do things very carefully so they don't get caught, and in this country (and othrs) there are without doubt some 'groups' who have absolutely no ethics, in fact they believe they are above the law. And yes the same comment applies to every aspect of the curent election and the NCPO, and the judge who recently scolded the young policeman for having the gall to asl for his license,etc etc etc. 

10 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Ah the man with the Thaksin complex is back.

I reckon the smog/air problems in the North were down to him, as well as the security problems in the South and the price of diesel. It's all his fault.

By the way, my missus, aged 40 and been a Thaksin/Red voter ever since i've known her, voted FFP.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Wow, world shattering.

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

How sweet you are, like anywhere there are folks who respect the law and there are those who do things very carefully so they don't get caught, and in this country (and othrs) there are without doubt some 'groups' who have absolutely no ethics, in fact they believe they are above the law. And yes the same comment applies to every aspect of the curent election and the NCPO, and the judge who recently scolded the young policeman for having the gall to asl for his license,etc etc etc. 

What about giving a tip in a Restaurant would that be illegal as well? Just wondering like.

41 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Have they both left the building, didn't notice....... 

Yes big sister hasn't been seen for a few months, disappeared when there was talk of further charges for the folks involved in the fake C2C rice deals, the case where the minister and his assistant got 42 years and 36 years in jail respectively. 

17 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Sure.

Thais donate to temples all the time. Temples even have donation boxes. People donating money here in temples is about as normal as it gets. 

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

That's up to you and has nothing to do with the case in point.

Actually, it does. Temples here are supposed to offer some form of sanctuary. Donating money to them so they can continue to do so would be seen as a form of making merit. Would you begrudge a politician giving monks food in the morning? 

43 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

Is that relevant? TIT.

I think having 2 votes is better, as Thailand used to, one for the constituency, it's very important to have your own MP who will work or not for you as the case may be, and then the Party List MPs where voters can select the party whose policy they like.

Who will want to go on a party list for Pheua Thai next time, not one MP! 

Regarding FF, yes they benefitted enormously from the new system, it must rile the junta a lot, yet the EC, appointed by the junta, changed the calculation criteria to strip FF of many seats.

13 minutes ago, bannork said:

I think having 2 votes is better, as Thailand used to, one for the constituency, it's very important to have your own MP who will work or not for you as the case may be, and then the Party List MPs where voters can select the party whose policy they like.

Who will want to go on a party list for Pheua Thai next time, not one MP! 

Regarding FF, yes they benefitted enormously from the new system, it must rile the junta a lot, yet the EC, appointed by the junta, changed the calculation criteria to strip FF of many seats.

2 votes defeats the purpose, as obviously the MP you vote for will come from the party you like. The aim is to give representation to the parties that get a lot of votes but don't win many seats. FFP were huge beneficiaries, I can't see that they could have benefited much more.

Yes that's  really the number one priority for Thailand.

You bet, with marijuana legal people can begin to have deep thoughts, spawn great ideas, start new food cravings, re-kindle their sex lives, cope with suffering, enjoy the simple life, focus on that hobby, learn the art of conversation, make new friends and appreciate good music.

11 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

You bet, with marijuana legal people can begin to have deep thoughts, spawn great ideas, start new food cravings, re-kindle their sex lives, cope with suffering, enjoy the simple life, focus on that hobby, learn the art of conversation, make new friends and appreciate good music.

Wow, all upside, no downside?

Death from caffeine...? mmm...studies have shown coffee to be quit benign.

I'm not sure how benign Thai-cannabis really is though. Wasn't there a Uni-study done recently on 500kgs of ganja supplied by the police. The study revealed the stuff to be so polluted by pesticides and other toxic elements to render it unfit for human consumption!

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Thais donate to temples all the time. Temples even have donation boxes. People donating money here in temples is about as normal as it gets. 

Not when the junta vote might suffer...... 

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Obviously you've been living in Thailand for many years. Do you really believe that nearly all candidates did not make merit to get lucky and did not give money to monks?

Archived