Overstay by 5 minutes

What is likely to happen to someone who is in Thailand on a 30 day nonexempt stamp and permitted to stay until June 21st and has a flight departing Samui to Bangkok at 8 PM on the 21st and a connecting flight to Europe scheduled for the 22nd at 12:05 AM.  They'll have checked in and cleared all immigration already be on the plane before midnight while it is still the 21st. Do they need to worry about an overstay penalty or fine?

• Haha 1

I fell foul of this a few years ago, but the other way around, when my 12.15am flight arrival from HK touched down 20 minutes early, and was officially logged as landing the day before. I cleared immigration around 1am, but she stamped me in with the earlier date. This caused me a problem three months later, as it rendered my next flight out (which I'd booked already) to be 91 days. Altering the flight was too expensive so I just accepted the overstay stamp, at the time overstays weren't yet much of a big deal. I did contest the stamp with the IO, but she insisted it was the actual arrival time that mattered, not the scheduled one or the time of passing through immigration. I still don't think she was right. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I fell foul of this a few years ago, but the other way around, when my 12.15am flight arrival from HK touched down 20 minutes early, and was officially logged as landing the day before. I cleared immigration around 1am, but she stamped me in with the earlier date. This caused me a problem three months later, as it rendered my next flight out (which I'd booked already) to be 91 days. Altering the flight was too expensive so I just accepted the overstay stamp, at the time overstays weren't yet much of a big deal. I did contest the stamp with the IO, but she insisted it was the actual arrival time that mattered, not the scheduled one or the time of passing through immigration. I still don't think she was right. 

Might is right !   stupid saying.... but that is what us Peons face in life

13 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

of course she was right.

When a flight lands the time is inputted into the computers as the official arrival time. It doesn't matter when a passenger gets to the Immigration desk, the flight arrival is a constant.

It can't happen any other way for many reasons.

The person who placed an overstay stamp in the passport on departure was ridiculously over bureaucratic.

17 minutes ago, charmonman said:

I haven't had an overstay in over a decade, and that was only a day or so. It used to be that they gave a grace period of one or two days where they didn't care or charge a fine. Is that not the case anymore?

Still the case, no fee for first 24 hours of overstay at the airport. Go beyond that into the second day though and you'll be charged two days. More of a concern would be the overstay stamp in your passport that you'd get, even if you escaped the first day overstay fee. 

I made a boo-boo on my dates a couple of years ago, check in sent to immigration where the whole staff was one very pretty lady in a brown uniform. I approached told her of my plight and she said "I'm not doing all that at this time" (2am) so she just gave me an extension and off I went.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you clear immigration before 12 you should not be charged for an overstay.

But if they did there would be no fine for it since it is a overstay of less than 24 hours.

No problem no fine. I was 7 hrs extra and was okay

11 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

In 2016 i left Phuket, too late , but within the 24 hours.

At the airport i was fined 500 bath.

Only the 2 airports in Bangkok waive the 500 baht fine for a overstay of less than 24 hours.

As usual it seems it’s down to the individual IO. I remember being told once that it was based on your departure time. I was stamped for overstay despite it only being a few minutes. It was long ago, Immi wasn’t using computers!

On 5/27/2019 at 12:35 PM, ubonjoe said:

If you clear immigration before 12 you should not be charged for an overstay.

But if they did there would be no fine for it since it is a overstay of less than 24 hours.

sorry for off topic but may i ask if one leaves and reenters thailand before the end of 1 year retirement extension date do they give you 90 days?  like what they do on non 0 multiple entry?  thanks

3 minutes ago, atyclb said:

sorry for off topic but may i ask if one leaves and reenters thailand before the end of 1 year retirement extension date do they give you 90 days?  like what they do on non 0 multiple entry?  thanks

No

You only get stamped to the date your extension ends which is also the expiration date of the re-entry permit required to keep the extension valid. Without  a re-entry permit you would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry if you qualified for one.

• Like 1