Teen driver kills Najomtien motorcyclist

Rimmer

Teen driver kills Najomtien motorcyclist

image.png

PATTAYA:--A 45-year-old hotel employee was killed when her motorcycle was struck by a pickup driven by a teenager in Najomtien.

Marisa Suasor, 45, died at the scene of the May 23 accident at the Ban Ampur U-turn. Her body was still impaled on the grill of the Toyota Vigo when police arrived.

Motorbike passenger Wimol Huayyai, 60, suffered severe injuries and was transported to Wat Yannasang Worarawihan Hospital.

Vigo driver Amornthep Pongpanit, 19, told police the motorbike turned into his path while making a U-turn. Police are investigating whether to file criminal charges against him.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-05-27--

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

Vigo driver Amornthep Pongpanit, 19, told police the motorbike turned into his path while making a U-turn

Make of that what you will .. The photo suggests that the Vigo has rear end shunted the bike big style which as likely as not was stationary for it to remain embedded in the front of the Toyota like that .. Down to the Vigo driver this .. He needs to hold his hands up and accept responsibility for it .. 

18 minutes ago, RotMahKid said:

So many accidents at U-turns. Change that systems and close them all, starting at highways.

Close them and they'll start making their own u-turn paths. Plenty of Creativity and innovativeness out there...

24 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I know this is Thailand so anything is possible, but the photo looks like both are on the wrong side of the road.

The car behind could be an insurance clerk or just there to show oncoming traffic of the accident.

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Make of that what you will .. The photo suggests that the Vigo has rear end shunted the bike big style which as likely as not was stationary for it to remain embedded in the front of the Toyota like that .. Down to the Vigo driver this .. He needs to hold his hands up and accept responsibility for it .. 

Thai Boys are taught from birth not to own up to anything they do wrong, lies are much better for saving face !

16 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Vigo driver Amornthep Pongpanit, 19, told police the motorbike turned into his path while making a U-turn

It appears to be quite squarely impaled into the front of the pick-up. I agree U-Turns seem to be quite the source of many an accident, but without them you will find more riding the wrong way on the carriageways. 

29 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It appears to be quite squarely impaled into the front of the pick-up. I agree U-Turns seem to be quite the source of many an accident, but without them you will find more riding the wrong way on the carriageways. 

Roundabouts and lots of them. They work in the UK they could work here if only they were created, drivers were taught how to use them and the law on right of way when using them was enforced.  There is just no willingness to change here, no law enforcement beyond the collection of easy fines, and of course no proper teaching before allowing people to drive.

I keep banging on about roundabouts and keep getting shouted down, but they are the way to go and one day I just hope the authorities will do something about it.                                                                                                                                                               

15 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Close them and they'll start making their own u-turn paths. Plenty of Creativity and innovativeness out there...

I have seen a number of areas where motorcyclists routinely cross over the central 'reservation' hump (A.K.A. the median).  It reduces their trip by a few metres.

16 minutes ago, gmac said:

Roundabouts and lots of them. They work in the UK they could work here if only they were created, drivers

Sadly, the few roundabouts there are or have been in Pattaya do not work, Pattaya NorthRd/Beach Rd/Naklua Rd (Dolphin) being an example, and the now removed one at Jomtiem 2nd and Soi Watboon near the old Winchester Club. 

Having the laws enforced in Thailand is a long way off, other than being a source of festive season funds. 

15 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

So many accidents at U-turns. Change that systems and close them all, starting at highways.

Correct and proper thinking of farang not appreciated nor acceptable in LOS. ????

19 minutes ago, gmac said:

keep banging on about roundabouts and keep getting shouted down, but they are the way to go and one day I just hope the authorities will do something about it. 

I agree with you in theory but not in practice.

That is to say, theoretically roundabouts in Thailand replacing U-turns would assist traffic flow and reduce accidents. This is demonstrated by the experience of other countries.

However, in practice, Thai driving lacks adherence to the rules of the road. Drivers constantly ignore the rules concerning right of way and have no concerns over correct positioning and lane discipline. This means, in practice, roundabouts in Thailand have always failed to work. The result is often a shuffling gridlock in which all entries to the roundabout use a shuffling forward method to force others to yield.

12 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

I have seen a number of areas where motorcyclists routinely cross over the central 'reservation' hump (A.K.A. the median).  It reduces their trip by a few metres.

I almost killed one a few months ago.

Coming up to the u-turn, just as the extra u-turn lane starts and cuts into the verge there's a pedestrian crossing. 

Instead of doing the proper u-turn, he suddenly stops to u-turn his scooter across the footpath on the verge for the pedestrian crossing. I just slammed on the brakes in time.

A lot of hand movements, shouting and general expressions of disbelieve later, he continued on his way with a look of bewilderment about the farang is on about.

Must have saved him 50 meters each way. 

5 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Yield and merge, not the Thai's strong point. 

Tell me about it, I live near the Hwy 36/ Sukhumvit junction in Nong Plalai. They bloody stop in the middle of it here!

18 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

About 4 kilometres actually on the road outside my village where they widened the road to dual carriageway in the last few years!  There is no consideration given to locals when they improve(??) roads for through traffic which is why so many drive the wrong way and create their own u-turns.

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Sadly, the few roundabouts there are or have been in Pattaya do not work, Pattaya NorthRd/Beach Rd/Naklua Rd (Dolphin) being an example, and the now removed one at Jomtiem 2nd and Soi Watboon near the old Winchester Club. 

Having the laws enforced in Thailand is a long way off, other than being a source of festive season funds. 

The one on Jomtien 2nd road was a joy to use on my visits to immigration from out of town, its replacement by traffic lights was a travesty to my mind.  

16 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I know this is Thailand so anything is possible, but the photo looks like both are on the wrong side of the road.

The photo is "post accident" they could have ended up anywhere.... 

38 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Tell me about it, I live near the Hwy 36/ Sukhumvit junction in Nong Plalai. They bloody stop in the middle of it here!

Ah yes, Krating Lai intersection. Many drivers have no idea. Those coming from the 36 and turning north onto Sukhumvit often stop, as you say, treating the merging lane as a T-junction. This is dangerously bad driving stemming from cluelessness. They should accelerate (or decelerate) to match the speed of the traffic they are merging into on Sukhumvit. It only takes one driver to stop or do that odd hesitant crawl and then nobody else can accelerate and you have 2 adjacent lanes with a huge speed differential.

2 hours ago, gmac said:

Roundabouts and lots of them. They work in the UK they could work here if only they were created, drivers were taught how to use them and the law on right of way when using them was enforced.  There is just no willingness to change here, no law enforcement beyond the collection of easy fines, and of course no proper teaching before allowing people to drive.

I keep banging on about roundabouts and keep getting shouted down, but they are the way to go and one day I just hope the authorities will do something about it.                                                                                                                                                               

I agree entirely because even though the locals don't know how to use them, I reckon there'd be fewer accidents than at the uturns. At least for roundabouts, most people slow down. The problem is, roundabouts need a lot of space on either side of the carriageway, it'd mean deolishing a lot of property.

1 hour ago, gmac said:

About 4 kilometres actually on the road outside my village where they widened the road to dual carriageway in the last few years!  There is no consideration given to locals when they improve(??) roads for through traffic which is why so many drive the wrong way and create their own u-turns.

Whether walking, riding or driving, a Thai will always take a short cut. They just can't resist it. Any breach of a fence and there'll soon be a well worn track there. That's why they all cut corners, it's irresistable to them. The track across my local golf course which I jog down, often has cars and motorbikes using it causing choking dust, even though it only takes a few more seconds to go around the concrete perimeter road.

Archived