Teen driver kills Najomtien motorcyclist

Rimmer

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

and so the daily cycle goes on

I am being facetious, petty or anything like that but surely a better comment would be, "...and so the daily motorcycle goes on".  This is said considering the amount of carnage the untrained/uneducated drivers with their machines create/cause every day.

'nuf sed.

3 hours ago, gmac said:

Roundabouts and lots of them. They work in the UK they could work here if only they were created, drivers were taught how to use them

If you can't teach Thais to use U-turns, how you going to teach them roundabouts, The truth is the standard of driving is so POOR here, Until Thais are made to understand road sense, the carnage will go on.

This pure conjecture: The bike is facing straight in the lane the front wheel is almost facing dead straight too. The car is directly behind the bike ... I'm trying to make sense of this photo ... i.e.  'the bike was hit doing a u-turn?'  Looks like a typical read-ender to me.

5 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

This pure conjecture: The bike is facing straight in the lane the front wheel is almost facing dead straight too. The car is directly behind the bike ... I'm trying to make sense of this photo ... i.e.  'the bike was hit doing a u-turn?'  Looks like a typical read-ender to me.

My view is the bike had just made the u-turn  straight into the path of a high speed pickup truck..that's the danger of these u-turns..it can be slightly mitigated by having a  "getting up to speed" lane carved into the central reservation..but  lots of drivers don't know how to "merge" and lots of self important people in fancy "fast cars" simply will not slow down or give way..they  flash headlights and plough on !!!

33 minutes ago, johng said:

lots of self important people in fancy "fast cars" simply will not slow down or give way..they  flash headlights and plough on !!!

absolutely, I can't even count the amount of time those simple minded buffoons would do that to me when I was driving my big bike at around 120 km/h on a 3 lane highway (in the middle)

I don't know the brands 100% but they mostly seemed to be those big black SUVS (Fortuners) and BMW looking cars.

no one in their way on the right lane, slow trucks/motorbikes in the left lane.. they come behind me going well over 160 and flash their lights for me to get out of the way.

i have had a lot of close calls with cars accelerating from middle lane, to cut me off on the left lane (I'm going 100-120) then proceed to brake hard right in front of me to make the left turn to go get gas.

it has literally happened at least 50 times in 6 years.

On 5/27/2019 at 11:03 AM, DaRoadrunner said:

I know this is Thailand so anything is possible, but the photo looks like both are on the wrong side of the road.

There are both facing the right way.

As aforementioned, the other car is there to warn people away from the fast lane. It probably has headlights/hazard lights on.

Really dangerous U-Turns, coupled with people overly keen to proceed.

I had to stop a family on a motorbike next to me from proceeding at the U-Turn for Makro. Better to wait a minute and arrive safely, than to hope that any of the vehicles will slow down and allow you to proceed safely.

12 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Cluelessness. They should accelerate (or decelerate) to match the speed of the traffic they are merging into on Sukhumvit. It only takes one driver to stop or do that odd hesitant crawl and then nobody else can accelerate and you have 2 adjacent lanes with a huge speed differential.

Well, the Germans do it and merge into the Autobahn flat out. Think we may have a long wait before the Thais emulate the Germans. Even if they did, we'd just get some very entertaining accidents.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:47 AM, RotMahKid said:

So many accidents at U-turns. Change that systems and close them all, starting at highways.

California in the USA has fairly liberal U turn laws, such that unless an intersection with a red light says no, then a U turn is allowed.  But that is for intersections only.  One is not legally allowed to just turn around in the middle of the road as many people do.  Just this morning on the way to work, the car in front of me slowed and I could see that he slowed because the car in front of him was coming to a stop.  We were all in the far right lane of a four lane, two lane each way road.  The guy that was stopping then made a complete U turn across the 3 other lanes! 

12 hours ago, johng said:

My view is the bike had just made the u-turn  straight into the path of a high speed pickup truck..that's the danger of these u-turns..it can be slightly mitigated by having a  "getting up to speed" lane carved into the central reservation..but  lots of drivers don't know how to "merge" and lots of self important people in fancy "fast cars" simply will not slow down or give way..they  flash headlights and plough on !!!

Yep or they don't even look ahead and are texting, watching TV on their smart phones, etc and don't even see the u turner.  And of course speeding is like the norm.  The motorcycle driver, well, so many people really do not judge speed and distance very well.   They may see the vehicle they are turning in front of, but don't really comprehend the speed it is going. 

12 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Yeah, but probably the biker did complete the U turn but was going very slow when rear ended by the vehicle.  combination of foolishness, too much speed, bad turn timing, etc

20 hours ago, gmac said:

The one on Jomtien 2nd road was a joy to use on my visits to immigration from out of town, its replacement by traffic lights was a travesty to my mind.  

Well I recall using it quite a few times en-route to the same place, I used to take the long way around to avoid central Pattaya. You were expected to give way on the roundabout to traffic coming on at high speed from the left. Some went the wrong way. I believe it was a few bad accidents that got the roundabout replaced.  Similarly the Dolphin where the Naklua Rd was forced onto North Rd and it was blocked off. That stemmed from 2 girls on a motorcycle getting crushed by a cement  truck, they were passing on the inside, it failed to see what was in it's way as it took the wide turn off. Thai driving is by far too undisciplined and frequently downright stupid for roundabouts. 

Archived