Just found this in my backyard, any ideas?

Gjk7777

Biggest Jingjook I ever saw. Hate to disappoint you as I am not expert on lizards but it looks like what the Thai call a 'Hea'..... Suggest you be careful with your pronunciation there!

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Roadrunners, and whatever else it can fit in its mouth... you'd better be as fast as in the cartoon.

Yikes! You expect to find these things up-country, but I came across an 8' Python in Bangkok the other day. I am sure it looked upon me as lunch...... Beep! Beep! gone.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Gjk7777 said:

My house is in issan, never seen one before. Just for everyone's info it was scooped up and is now very happy living in the local Wat with the Monks and Monkeys. ????

Any large lakes or rivers nearby? If that thing just appeared and you've never seen one before in the local water bodies, I suspect one of the locals is trying to tell you something....and it ain't too complementary. ????

1 minute ago, plachon said:

Any large lakes or rivers nearby? If that thing just appeared and you've never seen one before in the local water bodies, I suspect one of the locals is trying to tell you something....and it ain't too complementary. ????

Just opposite my house is a pond, so I guess it came from there...

26 minutes ago, Gjk7777 said:

My house is in issan, never seen one before. Just for everyone's info it was scooped up and is now very happy living in the local Wat with the Monks and Monkeys. ????

It's a WATER Monitor. Is there a river or at least a pond at the Temple? Probably was not too keen about being dragged away from his home area either. Likely would appreciate being returned to the pond where he came from.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gjk7777 said:

Just opposite my house is a pond, so I guess it came from there...

OK, so maybe it had a natural home, if the pond is large enough...though Isaan is notorious for having fewer water monitors than other regions, as they get hunted mercilessly. It might be safe at the local wat, but then again, it might just end up as a stir fry in double-quick time. They do make good eating, I have to admit...... 

1 minute ago, plachon said:

OK, so maybe it had a natural home, if the pond is large enough...though Isaan is notorious for having fewer water monitors than other regions, as they get hunted mercilessly. It might be safe at the local wat, but then again, it might just end up as a stir fry in double-quick time. They do make good eating, I have to admit...... 

You've eaten one???

55 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Yikes! You expect to find these things up-country, but I came across an 8' Python in Bangkok the other day. I am sure it looked upon me as lunch...... Beep! Beep! gone.

You needn't be too surprised at that. Check this article out if you want to know more about your neighbours!

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/snakes-alive-bangkok-removed-more-than-4500-pythons-from-homes-last-year/https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/snakes-alive-bangkok-removed-more-than-4500-pythons-from-homes-last-year/

in the photo it doesn't have the usual distinctive markings, we got loads in the flooded undeveloped land behind our shop house...harmless and very timid but they can move very quickly when they want to, they usually eat birds and their eggs and cute furry little kitty cats gamboling and unaware...torn limb from limb by powerful prehistoric jaws, etc...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

You've eaten one???

Well not a whole one by myself ????....but eaten hia on several occasions in the past....can recommend "pad paet" recipe for snake and lizard, though only for road kill specimens... ????

• Like 1

They're reasonably harmless if you just let them go about their business, like most creatures. Those bloody giant centipedes though, I swear they run towards me every time I find one, much more scary.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want to be 'standing' anywhere near it!

For if it gets spooked, it could be scarpering for the nearest tree

- and the nearest tree could be 'you'

if that thing climbs you... goodbye to your face as you remembered it!