Just found this in my backyard, any ideas?

Gjk7777

13 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

They are common all over but there is some superstition ( as if there wouldn't be) surrounding them.    The tails can do some serious damage but having said that where I used to live a Grand-Daddy one used to reside close by.  It used to wonder up and after a few locals wet their pants a guy used to calmly come along, grab its tail and drag it 100 metres back to its watering hole.

Ha ! And I thought lizards tails broke off when being attacked ...  I guess the big boys don't !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Yikes! You expect to find these things up-country, but I came across an 8' Python in Bangkok the other day. I am sure it looked upon me as lunch...... Beep! Beep! gone.

I have seen big ones in Chatuchak Park, and I hear Lumpini is crawling with them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nikmar said:

What's Khun Suthep doing in your back garden ????

Seriously though, it's a water monitor. Dtua ngeun dtua yai. Or "hia", which also doubles up as a Thai expletive.

The polite colloquial name for it is actually Tua ngneun dtua thong (silver and gold creature) or Water Monitor Lizard in English.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arkady said:

The polite colloquial name for it is actually Tua ngneun dtua thong (silver and gold creature) or Water Monitor Lizard in English.

yep. i miss printed "yai" for "thiong". well spotted, I mustve been thinking of my wife's backside as I was writing. ????

7 hours ago, geronimo said:

and. believe it or not, they can scale concrete walls!!!

Had 1 in the garden last year....scaled a 12 foot wall, seen me and disappeared over the same wall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Arkady said:

Or Goanna,Bungarra,  depending on where you come from.There's also as desert version called a sand monitor. All references above to the Aussie versions of the same thing. 

Pretty harmless IF you leave them alone...... Like most creatures are. 

The wife saw a big bugger at the house in north Queensland. She still tells the tale in the village of the day she saw a dinosaur. It would have been two metres at a stretch, closer to six foot really.  He wandered across the paddock as though he owned it. I threw a piece of meat at him and hit his back leg.  He turned his head and looked at me as if to say " you idiot"

Nothing would have bothered him,  I doubt a wedge tail eagle would have had a go. 

On Samui where I stayed was a family of them living below a bridge we walked over every day....the Papa was six feet and pretty nasty to the others. One year at the Singapore F1 Grand Prix one ran across the track during practice. Damon Hill commentating said he thought it was an Iguana, which was pretty funny....wrong continent. 

It's a Water Monitor Lizard. Eats small mammals, reptiles, eggs fish, birds...just about anything it can fit in it's maw. Very shy to humans and scurry or swim away. Would stay clear of it to be sure, especially of the tail and teeth, but rarely aggressive towards people. Tail can and is used in self defense. 

Lumphini Park BKK used to be loaded with them. Saw a smaller 1 around the klong near us in BKK recently. Quite common. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

Our dogs were just freaking out and we had a monitor lizard running around, but soon left for neighbor's house. About the same size.

I wouldn't play with it, to be honest, nor would the dogs. 

On 5/27/2019 at 4:56 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

I know I shouldn't ask but, what does it eat?

TVF members who think that they've got a new pet. 

Like most critters, Water Monitors are usually no bother if you don't mess with em. But I would be wary of their bite and especially their smaller cousin the Tookae. They are not known for using a toothbrush, consequently their mouth is full of nasty bacteria.

Another problem, particularly with the Tookae, when they bite they won't let go. You can end up going to hospital with a lizard hanging off your arm. You get em off with Chloroform.

The Tookae is also rather impolite. If you listen to their repetitive call it sounds like they're saying "F-you." ....... Naturally, we have renamed it as such.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Haha 1