BANGKOK 17 June 2019 17:57

Did my yearly extension of stay due to retirement at Phitsanulok Immigration today with 800,000 in the bank. I leave the money in the bank and don't use it all year. The process was ,as usual, efficient and fast. I asked if I needed to present my pass book after 3 months so they could check the balance but was told "no need-next year we look". I said to the IO if money not correct no visa? and he said yes.

• Like 2

This is what most of imagined would happen regarding falling below specified amounts post extension approval. Since it a simple matter to check your bankbook prior to making your next application, you would imagine no one would apply for extension if they fell below the 800/400k. Time to exit and obtain new non o would not come as a sudden surprise.

33 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I dealt with that office for many years, always polite and efficient, nice to read things are still the same. 😀

Also dealt for many a long year with this office , they have always been a good crowd. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Time to exit and obtain new non o would not come as a sudden surprise.

Agent fees to convert a Non-O to yearly extension is 10-15K. Agent fees to convert a tourist to Non-O is 10-15K. So, one can spend 20-30K/year (less than $100USD) to get a year-long entry and stay permit for Thailand. Long live the agents. 

• Like 2

So what have we got so far, about 4 offices asking people to return after 3 months with their passbooks, 4 or 5 not asking, and the rest no feedback yet? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Being deliberately obnoxious though seems to be the norm in many places.

If you had to deal with the rif-raf that go to the tourist IOs you might be too.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I plan to "extend my stay" in Thailand (retirement) in Phitsanulok in September. Did any of you ask them to CONFIRM that the health insurance WILL NOT apply to "extensions of stay" I would appreciate hearing from somebody about Phitsanulok in particular. Though Thai Visa article says it DOES NOT AFFECT "extensions of stay", there a lot of contradictory information. I 'd like to hear it from the "horses mouth".

Edited by mhortig
wrong wording

18 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Agent fees to convert a Non-O to yearly extension is 10-15K. Agent fees to convert a tourist to Non-O is 10-15K. So, one can spend 20-30K/year (less than $100USD) to get a year-long entry and stay permit for Thailand. Long live the agents. 

Agents fine, seen as the solution at present but could at some stage be seen as part of the problem?

2 hours ago, mhortig said:

"...I 'd like to hear it from the "horses mouth"."

Call your immigration office and ask them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

If you had to deal with the rif-raf that go to the tourist IOs you might be too.

So you are saying that all or most tourists are rif-raf? :crying:

3 hours ago, mhortig said:

I plan to "extend my stay" in Thailand (retirement) in Phitsanulok in September. Did any of you ask them to CONFIRM that the health insurance WILL NOT apply to "extensions of stay" I would appreciate hearing from somebody about Phitsanulok in particular. Though Thai Visa article says it DOES NOT AFFECT "extensions of stay", there a lot of contradictory information. I 'd like to hear it from the "horses mouth".

What you hear from the "horses mouth" at a Thai IO one day could change the next day, or even by the next officer.

• Like 2