Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Best Burger? Mine.


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, JamJar said:

 

 

Hamburg steaks in New York were often served with breadcrumbs, raw onions and a raw egg. 

Of course, by the very name, one knows that the dish came from northern Europe.... and possibly before that from Central Asia and spread by sailors at the time.

So anyone here claiming that their burger is the real deal, is simply fooling themselves.

 

 

So make it however you like it. 

 

 

A hamburger is ground beef shaped into a patty which is served on a bun. Meatloaf is seasoned, usually contains a filler such as bread crumbs, and is shaped into a loaf which is sliced to serve. As a rule a hamburger serves 1 while a meatloaf serves many.  End of discussion about burger vs meatloaf for me because it is an attempt to start a fight ala TV normal behavior 101. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Michaelaway said:

In Hua Hin, we buy beef at Makro. I grind it by machine (Lazada) & freeze it by the pound. Being American, I don't ever use Worcestershire or egg or add pork to my burgers (but they all are good for meatballs or meatloaf).

My burger is:

50% chuck

25% sirloin

25% brisket

Re; (white) fat, many chef's say the best burgers have around 20% fat; some use up to 30%.

Which grinder from Lazada did you buy?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It really does sound delicious.

after all the preparation and cooking what would the average cost be per burger?

well worth it even if expensive, just interested to know.

Cheers 😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ianezy0 said:

It really does sound delicious.

after all the preparation and cooking what would the average cost be per burger?

well worth it even if expensive, just interested to know.

Cheers 😎

The steak was 620 baht at tops.  Butter tiny amount. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

Nice looking piece of meat.  If I am shopping at Macro I will get a rib eye and have them grind it.  If shopping at Rim Ping I will buy their pre fab burgers, not great but good enough.

The problem with them grinding it is the meat left over in the grinder from the previous customer.  I normally buy Macro beef. Same thing with a slicer.  They don't clean them except at night. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Not until you show the finished burger,can your claim

be judged. 

regards Worgeordie

Indeed, all we have at the minute is a bowl of Laab! (without the spices) Let's see the finished object. A lot of people up in Chiang Mai used to rate "Mike's Burgers" near the moat, I would rather settle for a double Big Mac anyday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

It's cheaper if you like mixed pork and beef with seasonings to cover the flavor of the meat.  If however you like corn fed beef it's not better. 

I meant far better than buying ready made burgers, of course not better than the beef you used

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I make meatloaf too but this thread is about burgers which have no breadcrumbs or egg. 

most folks that I know use egg and crumbs as a binder to hold the meat together otherwise it falls apart on the grill or in the skillet...

 

but yeah, I know 'getouttaheah and take yer goddam meatloaf widye...' I'll get my poncho...sorry to intrude...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I make the buns using a Japanese milk bread recipe with a couple of tablespoons of rye flour added  and less sugar to the bread flour. 

That's incredible - do you have a link for the recipe?

 

Personally, buying a 620 baht steak which is 30% fat and then turning it into a burger is a bit unusual. Works out more expensive than a Gordon Ramsay burger in Las Vegas!

 

And butter here in Isaan in 70 baht for a tiny, tiny amount!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to have marcusarelus as a friend ;). You sure know your burger. Yes, your burger is better than any restaurant burger you had...just by looking at it. But the comparison is not quite far. Just think about how much a restaurant would need to charge to sell a clone of your burger. If budget / price weren't an issue, I am sure Restaurants could come up with some quite amazing stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

A hamburger is ground beef shaped into a patty which is served on a bun. Meatloaf is seasoned, usually contains a filler such as bread crumbs, and is shaped into a loaf which is sliced to serve. As a rule a hamburger serves 1 while a meatloaf serves many.  End of discussion about burger vs meatloaf for me because it is an attempt to start a fight ala TV normal behavior 101. 

What if you slice the meat loaf and put the slices in a bun, does that make it a burger?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The steak was 620 baht at tops.  Butter tiny amount. 

not being a cheap charlie but how many burgers do you get out of that as that works out to about 15 pounds sterling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tomahawk21 said:

not being a cheap charlie but how many burgers do you get out of that as that works out to about 15 pounds sterling.

I found it a problem getting decent ground beef in Thailand.  My answer was buying expensive imported beef.  One of the ways I cook it is as a hamburger.  When I go out I here eat chicken or pork.  Eventually Thailand will have a beef industry as it is starting now but most Thais in my experience don't like the smell of beef cooking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, shy coconut said:

What if you slice the meat loaf and put the slices in a bun, does that make it a burger?

Nope....makes it left over meatloaf on white bread with mayo! Yum

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, claynlr said:

Nope....makes it left over meatloaf on white bread with mayo! Yum

...And make it tastier and healthier by adding lettuce and tomato.....😜.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SunsetT said:

....but makes you twice as fat....lol.....555.

You get the butter to the sizzling point and then slip in the meat to brown for a minute and then transfer it to the oven to finish. 

 

I have a steam convention oven and for a healthy burger I'd superheat the steam to 250 C and bake it for 10 min or so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You get the butter to the sizzling point and then slip in the meat to brown for a minute and then transfer it to the oven to finish. 

 

I have a steam convention oven and for a healthy burger I'd superheat the steam to 250 C and bake it for 10 min or so. 

You really should be BBQing your burgers! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteveK said:

You really should be BBQing your burgers! 

Perhaps there are BBQ restaurants with 3 star Michelin rating?  But if there are it's not very many.  Comparing a BBQ grill to a modern oven is like a WW I biplane with today's jet fighter.  I want to taste the meat not cover it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SteveK said:

You really should be BBQing your burgers! 

ye need to flip them burgers when yer cookin' 'em and that becomes tricky on a BBQ grill...ye need a stove top griddle or a nice cast iron skillet then flip 'em and then slap that muthah, slap that muthuh to get the fat and juices goin'...

 

there are nice middle eastern kofta recipes that can be used in place of a traditional western burger recipe, use a bit of ground lamb with cumin...real nice in a sourdough roll with lettuce, tomato and condiments...my favorite was the 'Bongo Burger' in Berkeley back in the early 70s...buncha iranians with bongos to serenade with the kofta burgers when they weren't conspiring with the mujahedeen to bring down the Shah...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got my Australian steak mince, burger buns, proper cheese, mustard and chilli sauce but can't find iceberg lettuce - what would be a good substitute?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I've got my Australian steak mince, burger buns, proper cheese, mustard and chilli sauce but can't find iceberg lettuce - what would be a good substitute?

Leaf lettuce or mixed greens - Lotus or Tops.  Or it only takes a few weeks to grow leaf lettuce. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...