Thai Elite Visa Application Rejected for Accidental 2 Day Overstay?

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Who cares. Your post I quoted was about living in Penang. Give that a try and come back and again refer to Thailand as a "dump" foff

I have stayed in Penang multiple times for weeks (1 to 3) around 2008-2013 when I was doing my visa runs in Thailand. But the lure of Thailand always brought me back. Be that as it may, the three places I live now, I think Thailand is a dump and compared to Penang, it is still a dump. But the lure of Thailand brings me back.

If Thailand is such a great place, show me one post (pick one at random) in this forum where most people are extolling the virtues of Thailand. I see posts after posts people are critical of Thailand, immigration system, corruption, political instability, environmental disaster, air pollution, dirty beaches, low quality education, lack of intellectualism, crazy driving, lack of  logic, made up government data, and you can go on and on. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I have stayed in Penang multiple times for weeks (1 to 3) around 2008-2013 when I was doing my visa runs in Thailand. But the lure of Thailand always brought me back. Be that as it may, the three places I live now, I think Thailand is a dump and compared to Penang, it is still a dump. But the lure of Thailand brings me back.

If Thailand is such a great place, show me one post (pick one at random) in this forum where most people are extolling the virtues of Thailand. I see posts after posts people are critical of Thailand, immigration system, corruption, political instability, environmental disaster, air pollution, dirty beaches, low quality education, lack of intellectualism, crazy driving, lack of  logic, made up government data, and you can go on and on. 

Show me one that wants to live in Penang. Well apart from you. Last time I was there...parked car near rubbish beach for lunch to be told...we no serve alcohol. F that. Go live there. Clearly you don't. Don't come on TV and bang on crap about Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

But the lure of Thailand brings me back.

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

But the lure of Thailand always brought me back.

I think you should change your nickname to "THE LURE" or something in that spirit, It will go well with your lychee photo as well... ????

Edited by LongTang

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Rule of thumb still apply: Stick with 6 months advance self notification alert prior inconvenient happen to any of us just like the way how international passport requirement.

Overstay for 2 days is similar to a grounded flight for 48 hours with an average space rental for a plane landed at the parking lot at USD200 per minute. 

Edited by TTL2
spelling

well, this brings up the interesting issue if you had applied online, sent in the money and then the application was rejected.  Do the funds get returned to the applicant if the application is denied?  I know that many visa applications to other countries, you send in the money and nothing comes back except hopefully the visa

12 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

well, this brings up the interesting issue if you had applied online, sent in the money and then the application was rejected.  Do the funds get returned to the applicant if the application is denied?  I know that many visa applications to other countries, you send in the money and nothing comes back except hopefully the visa

This is not a normal visa application.

The payment is made to a government owned company inside Thailand instead of an embassy outside Thailand.

If immigration actually do a background check then they should be able to say yes or no in advance, if they can't then there's some bullshit going on behind the scenes.

A simple lawuit with a press release would sort this out very quickly if they ever dare to deny someone this visa and want to keep the money, the entire program would be ruined overnight if this EVER happens even once.

Foreign offices around the world would warn against buying visas from the Thai government and the reputation of Thailand Elite would be shredded.

To put it simply - I don't think this will ever happen but if it does then it's going to be interesting.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, BestB said:

Well

i overstayed once by 9 days because immigration could not decide to extend my visa or not . Finally they decided to not . And gave me letter explaining why I over stayed. 

Highly unlikely letter was entered into

their system but overstay was as I had to pay.

so in your expert opinion is my excuse good enough or not ?

"Waits for imperious judgemental reply saying you should have submitted your extension application earlier."

So predictable isn't it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sead said:

I dont believe a 2 day overstay is in the system....

You can believe what you like, but your history of entries, exits, denied entries and, yes, overstays is absolutely in immigration's system. This history is examined when you enter Thailand (especially via some airports) and is often used as justification when people are denied entry.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chilli42 said:

Wow, you are an honest one.  I would never have considered telling anyone that I had overstayed.  Would have left them to catch me out ... hoping that as with many systems here they don't work.  What is the downside of going back and not claiming you had an overstay?  

According to some recent discussions, they'll accept payment of your $16,000 but then the visa will be rejected by immigration at the application stage, and they keep your money. 

13 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

It was always one of the great barstool myths that an elite visa was a great way to wipe an overstay/blacklist from your record, they wanted your money and could arrange it etc.

Whats the world coming to when you cant believe a good barstool myth anymore.

Back at the time it was probably true. Rejection of Elite visa applications on basis of old overstays is a new policy, effectively a changing of the contract.

Given the report yesterday of someone on an Elite visa getting shaken down for 5000 baht for not having a current TM30 receipt, this crazy expensive visa option looks less and less elite all the time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Totally unrelated, if u think different rules apply to you because of an elite viss you are just a nutter. 

Thanks for your concern, but my mother had me tested.

I will be booking back in to see the shrink however, the very moment the impulse crosses my mind to sign away $16k on this white elephant of a viss (sic). 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your concern, but my mother had me tested.

I will be booking back in to see the shrink however, the very moment the impulse crosses my mind to sign away $16k on this white elephant of a viss (sic). 

Money you don't have anyway. 

The tax savings alone as being a thai tax resident are worth it for most of us, there's no other visa for under 50 year old singles. 

Would pay far more taxes if i reside in Europe each year than the whole visa costs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

Internal politics. Some purists within the administration will have been against introducing a blatantly paid visa. The other side won that argument by presenting it as a way to attract highly desirable, five-star travelers to Thailand.

Even the slightest hint that undesirable travelers, such as people who have previously broken the rules, might be using the scheme to circumvent the usual channels (the standard irritable immigration officer upon arrival) shifts the argument back to the purists and endangers the whole money-making bandwagon.

Don't forget, if they ever introduce a one-year, 100K mini-Elite visa it will sell like crazy, probably over a hundred times more that the current Elite visas. The scheme managers know this and are biding their time, protecting the scheme and waiting for the political climate to change. 

They do not need to introduce 100k per year visa, can just allow the 500k or 1 million visa’s to be paid yearly or in instalments , but then it defeats the purpose as they idea was to attract rich who have lump sums of money . 

There use to an investment visa , invest 3 million and you got your visa, the amount then changed to 5 , then to 8 and not too sure where it’s at now but somewhere in high figures 

16 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Money you don't have anyway. 

Eh? I just showed them significantly more than this for my new Non O/A last month.

Since joining the dots clearly isn't your forte, let me help you a bit. The visa you're staunchly defending (having thrown away the cost of a new car on it) is currently more fraught with TM-prefixed red tape than any visa class in the past. I used to get triple entry back to back tourist visas (and prior to that Non O/As on basis of friends/ family) for many years, and largely felt like a VIP in my occasional dealings with immigration in comparison with border runners - hence my comment about the Elite not looking quite so elite anymore.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

PS: no u aren't allowed to drive drunk on elite visa either

Of course someone is subject to the same laws on an Elite visa than on any other type, but to compare extortion on a missing TM30 with drunk driving is a ridiculous argument. The clue is in the fact that it's a TM form, and therefore an immigration procedure relating to your visa. 

23 minutes ago, BestB said:

They do not need to introduce 100k per year visa, can just allow the 500k or 1 million visa’s to be paid yearly or in instalments

My thinking is that it is not only the lump sum required upfront but, also, the minimum 5-year commitment that is putting off the majority of potential buyers.

You might have one group who would love to stay here for 5 years, but who can really say whether the political and economic situation will remain stable that far ahead? Who knows what crazy laws might be introduced, making life unpalatable for Westerners?

Something as simple as blocking major websites might be enough to make it unfeasible for digital nomads to stay and, personally, that is something that is very likely to happen if the economy falters and the people become restless.

So, to my mind, providing a one-year option would immediately unlock a significant amount of currently untapped demand that, currently, does not think Thailand is a sure bet over a five-year period.

Hell, if they wanted to be really smart, a monthly option where you simply drop by immigration to extend your tourist visa by as many months as you need, at a cost of 10K per month would end up being used even by those who complain bitterly that it is two expensive.

Ultimately, would you rather have all the expense, wasted time and uncertainty of flying out of the country for a week, or just pay drop by and pay 20K for two more months?

23 minutes ago, BestB said:

then it defeats the purpose as they idea was to attract rich who have lump sums of money . 

I am not saying that those in power might not still be clinging to that delusion, but the reality of tourism in Thailand is that they make the vast majority of their money from mass-market low or medium budget travelers.

Making the Elite visa more granular and accessible would unlock a lot of money, boost spending in general and still give them the fig-leaf that these must be "quality" tourists because they are paying an amount per month that represents a reasonable wage in Thailand.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 2

Of course someone is subject to the same laws on an Elite visa than on any other type, but to compare extortion on a missing TM30 with drunk driving is a ridiculous argument. The clue is in the fact that it's a TM form, and therefore an immigration procedure relating to your visa. 
Yes but we all know that nothing here protects us from rogue cops.
It's not really an immigration issue anyway as it's the landlords responsibility, but thais are too hard to rip off.

Corruption is cancer and thailand is deeply invaded by cancer cells.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

With all the technology available along with the traditional methods such as a diary or a piece of paper and a pen, there is no excuse for an "accidental" overstay !

I don't remember the OP asking whether there was an excuse or not. People make mistakes...at least the OP was owning up to it.

Edited by Lee4Life

15 minutes ago, donnacha said:

My thinking is that it is not only the lump sum required upfront but, also, the minimum 5-year commitment that is putting off the majority of potential buyers.

You might have one group who would love to stay here for 5 years, but who can really say whether the political and economic situation will remain stable that far ahead? Who knows what crazy laws might be introduced, making life unpalatable for Westerners?

Something as simple as blocking major websites might be enough to make it unfeasible for digital nomads to stay and, personally, that is something that is very likely to happen if the economy falters and the people become restless.

So, to my mind, providing a one-year option would immediately unlock a significant amount of currently untapped demand that, currently, does not think Thailand is a sure bet over a five-year period.

Hell, if they wanted to be really smart, a monthly option where you simply drop by immigration to extend your tourist visa by as many months as you need, at a cost of 10K per month would end up being used even by those who complain bitterly that it is two expensive.

Ultimately, would you rather have all the expense, wasted time and uncertainty of flying out of the country for a week, or just pay drop by and pay 20K for two more months?

I am not saying that those in power might not still be clinging to that delusion, but the reality of tourism in Thailand is that they make the vast majority of their money from mass-market low or medium budget travelers.

Making the Elite visa more granular and accessible would unlock a lot of money, boost spending in general and still give them the fig-leaf that these must be "quality" tourists because they are paying an amount per month that represents a reasonable wage in Thailand.

You confusing logical way of thinking with Thai way of thinking .

thai always do and think afterwards.

kaosan road is a perfect example of that . First they killed it then spend 25 million dollars on brainstorming how to revive it.

yes , everything you say sounds logical and makes perfect sense to you and me but to the powers above it’s geebrish, they know better ????

• Haha 1