Keyboard warriors watch out! Media group warns of jail time for trolling/defamation

webfact

Keyboard warriors watch out! Media group warns of jail time for trolling/defamation

9pm1.jpg

Caption: Heavy penalties: Keyboard warriors defaming online

A media group in Chiang Mai has warned internet users that there are heavy penalties for illegal online activity.

Chiang Mai News reported that the Creative Social Media Network, Chiang Mai had warned posters on websites, Line, Facebook and Instagram to mind their online behavior. 

They mentioned those who post fake pictures and fake news and online trolls. 

9pm2.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

Internet activity that is deemed harmful to the country could land a poster in jail for five years and face a fine of 100,000 baht. 

Defamation warranted 2 years and 200K in fines. 

Even defaming the dead in Thailand is a no-no - that can be worth 3 months and 5,000 baht. 

They even mentioned Article 112 - this relates to the country's lese majeste laws. 

The story didn't mention the penalties for that but it is known that 15 years awaits those that transgress in this area. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

1 minute ago, webfact said:

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

Internet activity that is deemed harmful to the country could land a poster in jail for five years and face a fine of 100,000 baht. 

So what about when the pictures and news are genuine? Post fake news, go to jail. Post true stories that show things in Thailand how they TRULY are and also go to jail. What a wonderful level of freedom of speech we don't have.

32 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I don't get that picture, is it one of the songtew drivers being crucified?

Hahahaha .. I thought it was the assistant in one of those knife throwing acts who gets the blades chucked at him .. 

52 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

What a wonderful level of freedom of speech we don't have.

I don't know where you come from, but you ought to know, that you as a foreigner have less freedom than the Thais, mainly due to your inability to navigate the legal system here.  You have rights, but very few.  

I don't care about politics here. It's not my country. I care only about that which has an effect upon me and my country and allies.  

If the people here don't care to press their rights, then that is their choice.  It's not mine.  I choose to live here and as such, navigate away from the local nonsense.  The Thais have a right to a government they choose, and so far they seem to allow this one to run their lives.  So be it.  

10 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I don't know where you come from, but you ought to know, that you as a foreigner have less freedom than the Thais, mainly due to your inability to navigate the legal system here.  You have rights, but very few.  

I don't care about politics here. It's not my country. I care only about that which has an effect upon me and my country and allies.  

If the people here don't care to press their rights, then that is their choice.  It's not mine.  I choose to live here and as such, navigate away from the local nonsense.  The Thais have a right to a government they choose, and so far they seem to allow this one to run their lives.  So be it.  

some very wise words except perhaps to the never ending line of wannabe colonizers...

the only thing good about when I die is I can go talk with George Carlin  ........  

george:  "are things still as bad as I remember them?"

rumak:   " not sure I can risk telling you man, they passed a law making it illegal to talk even here"

57 minutes ago, webfact said:

The problem with this is as Dsd has alluded to already put up stuff that may be deemed to portray the Kingdom in a poor light and you run the risk .. even if what you submit is truthful .. Anyone remember the headlines of a certain UK redtop a few years ago suggesting Pattaya was the modern day Soddom & Gomorrah .. The Thai authorities went fullspeed with the outrage that such a falsehood could be made even down to one mouthpiece claiming hooking didn't go on there .. Anyone who has been to Splattaya will know different .. And likewise what of some of the claims made by the authorities usually for the benefit of thereselves that we have to endure that are often well wide of the truth mark .. As far as trying to control or influence who puts up or who reads what on the internet now the genie is out of the bottle and no amount of foot stamping or threats is going to put it back in .. 

For some perspective its the same  laws throughout SEA. Most definitely not just Thailand. Regarding civil Defamation Sydney Australia is the world's leader.

get used to it boys it's everywhere !

Singapore about to launch the same law as well 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/01/world/asia/singapore-fake-news-law.html

already in place in Malaysia

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2018/09/415120/federal-court-rules-federal-and-state-governments-can-sue-defamation

the comment about 'foreigners having less rights than Thai' is not mostly true, nor technically true at all.  not for the revenue laws at least.  on top of Thai law,  by treaty, an American is not to be subject to any burden a Thai is not subject in regard to filing a tax return.  the Non Discrimination Clause.  i.e. we now get a Krung Thai ATM card to easily get our refunds, just as easily as Thai with Thai ID cards that link to a Thai retail bank account.

but not Thai securities laws.  if your broker uses a nominee, that is a secret "street name", for our local holdings, if you are Thai you can easily have serious sanctions placed on any Thai broker that does so and doesn't correct it immediately.  i.e. when you don't want to be secret!  i.e. to get a tax refund on corporate taxes as a 180 day resident of Thailand.  as an American, even though it violates that tax treaty I mentioned (US Thailand Double Taxation), you have no recourse because the Thai brokers involved are contracted to work with US banks.  in that contest, US bank secrecy trumps all laws.  even US laws and tax treaties. 

so in that case, I agree.  but in general, we are treated better than normal Thai.  

Wouldn’t be a normal week in Thailand without the public being threatened for some sort of internet activity. The Junta still seems quite nervous about ordinary people having access to the free, uncensored exchange of information.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I've never thought about doing that with my colon. Does it affect the colour?

Talking of which, reminds me of:

Friend: "What ringtone have you got?"
Me: "I've never really looked, but probably light brown.

21 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Wouldn’t be a normal week in Thailand without the public being threatened for some sort of internet activity. The Junta still seems quite nervous about ordinary people having access to the free, uncensored exchange of information.

There was an article in Bloomberg about the 'new government' possibly curtailing the internet. I don't see why, most of the info is in English and Thai's don't like reading.

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Even defaming the dead in Thailand is a no-no - that can be worth 3 months and 5,000 baht. 

Watch out I have a lardy freind????

Then why is a certain Thailand based YouTube channel allowed to defame the dead and those with a serious illness?

4 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

some very wise words except perhaps to the never ending line of wannabe colonizers...

Don't much care if you "colonize" in your free time but the heterosexuals amongst us would prefer not to hear about it!

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Talking of which, reminds me of:

Friend: "What ringtone have you got?"
Me: "I've never really looked, but probably light brown.

Surely you remember Dinah...

????"A rich girl has a gold ring,

a poor girl's made of brass,

but the only ring that Dinah has

is the brown one 'round her...**se" ????

Great song!

Archived