Friend got arrested and had to pay a fine of 5000 THB

30 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have lived in this house for 5 years or more, I have been to many places within Thailand during that period and have also been to Singapore and back by train through Malaysia and have never ever reported back to immigration on my return to my registered address, never been a problem when renewing my extension or 90 day reporting.

Same here, in fact I specifically asked at Surin IO, if I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok for a week must I report this when I get back, "A week"....shrugging shoulders, "No, don't bother", never had a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we really really HAVE to do this then maybe, instead of having the online option based on the address,  it would have been better to base it on the foreigner. Each  own login and do it  personally. (Excluding staying in hotels). Even with a button that takes your location to register. 

Edited by bigginhill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have lived in this house for 5 years or more, I have been to many places within Thailand during that period and have also been to Singapore and back by train through Malaysia and have never ever reported back to immigration on my return to my registered address, never been a problem when renewing my extension or 90 day reporting.

Same Same for Me Mate.......Haven't reported to IO For Years Now.....I'm on a Non-Imm " O " Multi Visa & Exit the country as I Should Every 90 Days,Also been To that WORLD Famous Family resort a few times ( But With The Wife in Tow ) & Just back Home.....Mind You I Do have A Yellow Book !!! LOL !!

Edited by Nong Khai Man
More Added
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I report to immigration in Jomtien, I have done for the last 8 years of living here, I did my 90 days last month and report again in August, I have the piece of paper in my passport that says I need to report my address again on such & such a date in August, how am I going to be arrested ??

OP's friend is in Bangkok and reports to Chaeng Wattana not Jomtien.  Different rules. Individual Immigration Offices are allowed to set their own policies. 

In Jomtien, those on extension of stay do not have to fill out a new TM30 when returning home from travel.  However, short-stay visitors do.   The guy in the video owns a condo in Pattaya.  When he went to Immigration to extend his tourist visa, he was fined 1600 baht because he had not filed a TM30 on himself when he entered the country.  

Jomtien Chonburi TM30 information in the link:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hahaha... thong lo.

Another reason to avoid living in that Farang  ghetto area.

Edit:

On that note I find the story a bit suspicious.

How did the police know he never reported? Surely they couldn't know without having access to database. It seems like he didn't have a 90 day report receipt, so just on the basis of that?

Edited by Pravda
  • Like 1

as far as bkk and CW, i recently completed my extension of stay and had to visit the TM30 desk (B desk).  like others here, i travel within thailand staying in hotels for a few days (nearly every month) and also leave the country several times a year.  when i asked the IO if i really needed to file a new TM 30 every time i returned from a trip within thailand or overseas, she said i should make sure that the TM30 on file, before i visit CW for my next extension, is related to my primary residence in bkk.  so, in not so many words, she implied that i didn't need to report each time i returned. 

one issue, if you will, is the online system only shows the most recent TM30.  if you stay in a hotel in thailand and they file a TM30 (some don't), it knocks out the TM30 filed for your primary residence.  that doesn't happen if you go on a trip to another country so your TM30 should still be good when you return.  at this point, they aren't checking that a TM30 was filed in connection with each arrival stamp you receive in your passport.  and i'm not sure they can do that since the online system only shows the most recent TM30.  so CW has no record of TM30's filed during the year, only the most recent one.

edit:  in my case, during the time of my extension, the most recent TM30 was from a hotel so i had to call my apt mgr and have her update the online system and then i was approved at the B desk.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

A friend in Korat went to immigration after spending a few days in another province to report. He said they were fining farang 800 baht for not reporting, and if they didn't cough up the money they wouldn't be able to do their 90 day reports. I went in three days late after returning from Vietnam as I spent two nights in BKK and nobody asked me any questions or mentioned money. As it was lunch time I asked about my next 90 day report, and they just said count 90 days from when you returned and come in. Okay.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, buick said:

as far as bkk and CW, i recently completed my extension of stay and had to visit the TM30 desk (B desk).  like others here, i travel within thailand staying in hotels for a few days (nearly every month) and also leave the country several times a year.  when i asked the IO if i really needed to file a new TM 30 every time i returned from a trip within thailand or overseas, she said i should make sure that the TM30 on file, before i visit CW for my next extension, is related to my primary residence in bkk.  so, in not so many words, she implied that i didn't need to report each time i returned. 

one issue, if you will, is the online system only shows the most recent TM30.  if you stay in a hotel in thailand and they file a TM30 (some don't), it knocks out the TM30 filed for your primary residence.  that doesn't happen if you go on a trip to another country so your TM30 should still be good when you return.  at this point, they aren't checking that a TM30 was filed in connection with each arrival stamp you receive in your passport.  and i'm not sure they can do that since the online system only shows the most recent TM30.  so CW has no record of TM30's filed during the year, only the most recent one.

edit:  in my case, during the time of my extension, the most recent TM30 was from a hotel so i had to call my apt mgr and have her update the online system and then i was approved at the B desk.

Agree and from your report in another thread, things have changed at CW. This is bit off topic but have been even more surprised by lack of current reports from doing annual extension at cw. There are a zillion per week. Some must use thaivisa

Immigration at Chaengwattana confirmed to our teachers that a TM30 receipt just needs to be on file. No need to file a new one when returning from abroad (or anywhere else). No one had ever done one before, and no one was fined. They were just told to make sure they had one "next time".

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Mansell said:

A friend in Korat went to immigration after spending a few days in another province to report. He said they were fining farang 800 baht for not reporting, and if they didn't cough up the money they wouldn't be able to do their 90 day reports. I went in three days late after returning from Vietnam as I spent two nights in BKK and nobody asked me any questions or mentioned money. As it was lunch time I asked about my next 90 day report, and they just said count 90 days from when you returned and come in. Okay.

You typing about a 90 day report or TM30 requirements? 2 different things

21 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

They were just told to make sure they had one "next time".

That's fine (no pun intended) if you get stopped by the same CW IO in a sweep in Bangkok.

Maybe not the best defense though when rounded up in a sweep by the "regular" district Police. "But officer, they told me I could file it 'next time'", may fall on deaf ears.

"Officer, where's the nearest ATM?"

or

"Here's a copy of my most recent 90-day report."

"I think my landlord filed a TM30 for me using the online system within 24 hours of my last return. Go talk to her, aka The Housemaster."

Edited by mtls2005

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

There was a raid yesterday a C Ekkamai Condos, Chinese-operated AirBnB knock-off. Not sure which news sources are acceptable to link. Easily found.

No mention of arrests.

"Seven people, including one foreigner and several room owners, were fined for various code and immigration offenses."

So was he really arrested? Or did he pay the baksheesh?

I'd probably try to negotiate the "tip" down from 5,000, maybe offer 1,500-ish?

this is what i think happened, the knock on effect and the op's friend is unlucky, it doesnt matter the visa if 5k cash in hand, officials wont care what passport or visa, i can imagine if 30-50 people in each large condo in that area suspected of being renting daily, fined 5k,looking at 750k-1.2 million after raiding just 5 buildings

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Threads perhaps related to the OP's friend's incident?

There have been other similar raids, remember one at Supalai Srinakarin not so long ago.

Most seem prompted by tenants complaining about "short-time" (AirBnB) customers, then some foreigners, who may be renting on a standard yearly lease get caught up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

they are completely controlling us, better be careful when taking a leak at a different place than usual

There's no controlling - they don't decide when and to where you travel, they monitor your movements.

Lopburi Immigration told me that I need a TM 30 each time I stay in a new location. As I travel between Lopburi and Bangkok every week, the IO said that I needed to do TM 30 twice a week. At first she said in Person, then later, said that I can do it online. But, I still have to do it twice a week.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

YEP!  Even the Elite have to report to mama like a pedophile reports to his probation officer every 90 days.  It's part of the idiotic rules of Thai immigration.  No sense in complaining, just suck it up! 

• Like 2

i rent an apartment in bangkok, i know that the owner reports all foreign tenants and their visa status. am i ok, or do i have to report in person?

the last time i was at CW i was fined 800 baht for not reporting, even though the owners have reported me.

is there a document/receipt the owner can give me to confirm i have been reported?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Toany said:

I really don't think they want us any more

Unless you use an Agent - yes, we are considered "Cheap Charlies" who should leave.  I have not seen a report of anyone using an agent having to do TM-30s, supply landlord-docs for an extension, get a home-visit, etc.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is within 24 hours of arrival at your residence not arrival in the country. They are wrong if they are telling you it is from your arrival in the country.

I did not realise that and I think a lot of others did not realise that either.

Always thought it was from arrival in the country.

Thanks joe.

Let me get this straight. I'm living, and registered, at an address in Bangkok. But, for 2 / 3 nights a week I stay at my wife's house in Korat. Does this mean she (or I) have to register me as staying in Korat 2 nights a week?!?!

I'm here on a Non-Imm O visa BTW. 

1 minute ago, djayz said:

Let me get this straight. I'm living, and registered, at an address in Bangkok. But, for 2 / 3 nights a week I stay at my wife's house in Korat. Does this mean she (or I) have to register me as staying in Korat 2 nights a week?!?!

Yes you do, welcome to our world....it's such a bullshit, i don't even have time for their nonsense.

• Like 2

Yes. You have to do A TM 30 in Korat and a TM in Bangkok every week. That is what Lopburi Immigration told me.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app