Friend got arrested and had to pay a fine of 5000 THB

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have lived in this house for 5 years or more, I have been to many places within Thailand during that period and have also been to Singapore and back by train through Malaysia and have never ever reported back to immigration on my return to my registered address, never been a problem when renewing my extension or 90 day reporting.

Same here although I am not on an extension and have never been to an immigration office in 40 years.

I have a multi O based on marriage and do a visa run every 90 days . When crossing back into Thailand I fill in the arrival card with my address and that's it. I guess its on their computers somewhere. Travel around the country staying at hotels and they copy my passport and I leave it up to them to report my presence.

So far never had a problem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Immigration at Chaengwattana confirmed to our teachers that a TM30 receipt just needs to be on file. No need to file a new one when returning from abroad (or anywhere else). No one had ever done one before, and no one was fined. They were just told to make sure they had one "next time".

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

needs to be on file from primary residence?  i'm sure most everyone has traveled through thailand and has spent a night in a hotel.  in that case, almost everyone will have a tm30 done at some time.

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Isn't the maximum fine 2000baht for neglecting to file the TM30 report?

That's if you go to immigration, I believe it is in fact 5000 Baht if they find you while you're not reported.

The crazy thing about this regulation is that it's something you don't normally do yourself unless you own the place you're staying so many people won't be aware of it until they go for a 90 day report.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Did he get receipt for the fine. I think not.

The 5,000 baht is the maximum fine is for not reporting a change of address or staying in another province for more than 24 hours (TM28 form). That report cannot be done online.

The max fine for an individual not doing a TM30 report is 2000 baht. It is possible to do online after registering for the reporting.

If I go to Bangkok to stay at a hotel for one or two nights visit, do I need to report to immig when I go back to Chiang Mai?

This sounds ridiculous. I thought it is only when I go out of the country and back in.

24 minutes ago, kritsana77 said:

My question is why any of you would want to live in a military run, totalitarian,messed up country? Think about it. You have to report in every 90 days and you have to report to the "authorities" every time you want to go to on a holiday for a day or two. The country must have sucked up any common sense you might have had before you moved there.  

Tell me which country is perfect, and I'll book my ticket tonight. 

If I go to Bangkok to stay at a hotel for one or two nights visit, do I need to report to immig when I go back to Chiang Mai?

This sounds ridiculous. I thought it is only when I go out of the country and back in.
The rules state that you have to do a TM 30 when you return.
You can only guess if your IO will apply the rule or not

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, Denim said:

Same here although I am not on an extension and have never been to an immigration office in 40 years.

I have a multi O based on marriage and do a visa run every 90 days . When crossing back into Thailand I fill in the arrival card with my address and that's it. I guess its on their computers somewhere. Travel around the country staying at hotels and they copy my passport and I leave it up to them to report my presence.

If you have a marriage visa for 1 year, why do you need do a visa run?

39 minutes ago, djayz said:

Let me get this straight. I'm living, and registered, at an address in Bangkok. But, for 2 / 3 nights a week I stay at my wife's house in Korat. Does this mean she (or I) have to register me as staying in Korat 2 nights a week?!?!

I'm here on a Non-Imm O visa BTW. 

Yes, of course she/you has/have to do that.

Because as you know, everyone (natives and visitors alike) sticks absolutely, rigorously, to the laws and regulations in Thailand.

That's why the roads are so safe and there is so little corruption.

It's really just like Switzerland........but with more sun, loads of fascinating temples, and cheaper prozzies.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

We own a house in Thailand and have being coming there for  over 13 years and spend a few months at the time, We were planning to fully retire there  end of the year , but as issues mound we are beginning to rethink it.

We Travel all over Thailand and neighboring countries, aside from major hotels automatically reporting, and when arriving at the airport, I never reported anything, and never carry my passport, though I know I should, or at the very least carry a copy,  But I never had a problem, Have being stopped a couple times for speeding all I had was my US drivers licence and International permit, (I Should get a Thai drivers licence) again no problem. But I spend most of my time in Issan and things might be more relaxed there.  

Anyway, I rather take a chance on paying 2,000 bht than having to worry about reports and all that nonsense.

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

We own a house in Thailand and have being coming there for  over 13 years and spend a few months at the time, We were planning to fully retire there  end of the year , but as issues mound we are beginning to rethink it.
We Travel all over Thailand and neighboring countries, aside from major hotels automatically reporting, and when arriving at the airport, I never reported anything, and never carry my passport, though I know I should, or at the very least carry a copy,  But I never had a problem, Have being stopped a couple times for speeding all I had was my US drivers licence and International permit, (I Should get a Thai drivers licence) again no problem. But I spend most of my time in Issan and things might be more relaxed there.  
  Anyway, I rather take a chance on paying 2,000 bht than having to worry about reports and all that nonsense.
The goal posts are moving all the time. What happened in the past does not count any more. It has changed.

• Like 1

Just now, Toany said:

The goal posts are moving all the time. What happened in the past does not count any more. It has changed.

For sure, for sure.

That is partly the reason for rethinking our full retirement in Thailand.

Visas, Medical care , pollution, lawlessness, used to roll over me when I was young, but seem to bother me more and more as I am getting older.

I will spend a full year there 2020 and see how it goes, but I am not very optimistic.  

13 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If you have a marriage visa for 1 year, why do you need do a visa run?

An O marriage visa is for 1 year but only 90 day each stay, a marriage extension of stay is a 1 year stay.

20 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yes you do.

And yes it's absolutely ridiculous.

But great, no more domestic traveling for me, no more spending money on hotels, no more visiting gfs parents...too much hassle. Ill just save the moneys.

My understanding was that in CM, they don't care about TM-28s which applies to your Bangkok day trip.  They care about TM-30s being on file and redone on an international trip.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Did he get receipt for the fine. I think not.

The 5,000 baht is the maximum fine is for not reporting a change of address or staying in another province for more than 24 hours (TM28 form). That report cannot be done online.

The max fine for an individual not doing a TM30 report is 2000 baht. It is possible to do online after registering for the reporting.

I thought that online TM-30s were difficult to register for unless you were the owner?

53 minutes ago, djayz said:

Let me get this straight. I'm living, and registered, at an address in Bangkok. But, for 2 / 3 nights a week I stay at my wife's house in Korat. Does this mean she (or I) have to register me as staying in Korat 2 nights a week?!?!

I'm here on a Non-Imm O visa BTW. 

Technically correct but if you have no business with Korat immigration it will never be picked up.

Even if you got picked up in a random immigration sweep (like the OP) you could just say you just arrived and intend to report next day.

If you are on a non O you may have to report in BKK when returning from 90 day out/in.

6 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I thought that online TM-30s were difficult to register for unless you were the owner?

So long as you can get hold of the blue book you can register to use the system and report on-line

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

So long as you can get hold of the blue book you can register to use the system and report on-line

Renting and absentee foreign landlord, kind of leaves me out.

4 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Renting and absentee foreign landlord, kind of leaves me out.

If you have the landlords details and copy of blue book, you could register on his/her behalf. You get a username and password, log in and report yourself.

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Technically correct but if you have no business with Korat immigration it will never be picked up.

Even if you got picked up in a random immigration sweep (like the OP) you could just say you just arrived and intend to report next day.

If you are on a non O you may have to report in BKK when returning from 90 day out/in.

I'll just keep my head down and mouth shut. 

This really is ridiculous. The bureaucracy is unfathomable! 

• Like 2