BANGKOK 18 August 2019 18:47
a3tsw

Peanut Butter Thread

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Finding, ordering and shipping stuff is easy. Getting Thai Customs Dept's sticky fingers off it is something else. Fortunately your average Somchai does not know what Peanut Butter is!

I order food stuffs all the time, mostly with no Customs problem.

The tips for that include:

--having the items sent by national postal service like USPS, instead of private couriers like DHL and FedEx, and thus delivered here by ThaiPost.

--keeping the declared value of individual shipments under the 1500 baht customs "small package" exemption amount.

--trying to avoid things that by their appearance might be mistaken for some kinds of drugs, which can prompt Customs to open them and tear the packaging open, and then leave the contents spilled out loose in your box.

PS - On two different occasions, that's exactly what Thai customs did with two of my packages. They didn't charge me any duty or tax. But in one case, they tore open retail packed plastic bags of gluten free oatmeal. And in another case, similarly tore open some also retail packaged bags of Reece's Pieces chocolate candies. But both of those episodes happened a couple years ago, and haven't had repeats of that since.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I order food stuffs all the time with no Customs problem.

The tips for that include:

--having the items sent by national postal service like USPS, instead of private couriers like DHL and FedEx, and thus delivered here by ThaiPost.

--keeping the declared value of individual shipments under the 1500 baht customs "small package" exemption amount.

--trying to avoid things that by their appearance might be mistaken for some kinds of drugs, which can prompt Customs to open them and tear the packaging open, and then leave the contents spilled out loose in your box.

None of this negates the fact that Thai Customs are totally corrupt.

50 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

None of this negates the fact that Thai Customs are totally corrupt.

If ya want stuff from abroad (vs. going without locally), ya gotta deal with the system as it exists and make it work for you as best as possible. At least, that's the way I approach it.