Region/location advice

I may be looking to spend 1 or 2 years in Thailand in the next year or so with my british partner, so we'd be looking for a long term rental (ideally a villa/house/bungalow) but am after recommendations for areas to look at.  We visit twice yearly anyway, and love the hustle and bustle of BKK and Pattaya, but also love peace and quiet (contradictions i know). 

Ideally we'd like somewhere with great nightlife and a city/town where we can get by with our limited Thai, but also somewhere quiet enough to enjoy the garden.  I drive and ride bikes in Thailand and have done for many years so small commutes wouldn't be an issue on a daily basis

where would be good areas to look please?

16 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Hua Hin might be a nice compromise.  Or Chiang Mai.

Yes, somewhere around Hua Hin. Others will chime in about this. I have not been down that way for a few years but as a Chiang Mai resident, I would forget this area now due to the smog or pollution that's starts from mid January to April. It is not worth it for your health. 

Does Hua Hin really have "great nightlife"? I didnt notice it when I was there, though I admit that I wasnt looking for it and would not have been happy had I found it.

I would have thought that the OP should consider renting somewhere just outside Pattaya, as that will be quiet but will be very near as much nightlife as anyone could possibly want. Also within an hour of the main airport and just 90 minutes from Bangkok, with regular transport links to both.

I would look at Huay Yai, or parts of Jomtien, or perhaps Bang Saray, or maybe near Lake Mabprachan. All those areas have many houses with gardens for rent. Even just across Sukumvit on the darkside it is easy to find quiet housing villages. And all are just a short drive away from Pattaya's nightlife and shops and restaurants. They all also offer easy access to many fairly attractive road trips.

So you say you come to Thailand twice yearly and also say you have done so for many years.  Surely by now you should know which areas are suitable to meet your requirements ? Unless of course when you mention Bangkok and Pattaya they are the only places you have been too over the years ?

Rayong has dozens (if not hundreds) of rental properties, many of which are beach front - a laid back area but just a few minutes from Jomtien.

If you want to disappear, check out Bueng Kan - not much for night life though.

Have lived on Koh Samui now for 15 years and love it to bits.  Chaweng (the Touristy Area) has loads of night life, but there are other areas that are lively but not quite so crowded.  You can also find some lovely quiet areas very close to the beach.  I also find the Natives somewhat more friendly than most Tourist Areas.  Would recommend that you travel around the Country until you find what suits you.  What is good for me, might not be good for you!

21 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Ideally we'd like somewhere with great nightlife and a city/town where we can get by with our limited Thai, but also somewhere quiet enough to enjoy the garden.

Phuket or Koh Samui sound like options to check, the latter especially when you bring your partner, as it has more of a party-nightlife, than beer bars.

Both islands – however Phuket got a bridge to the mainland – are mainly like one community, or large town, however with different local districts with each their charm.

Both islands got affordable bungalows and villas for rent – also with walking distance to beach and shopping – good shopping facilities, and also peaceful quiet areas; however, they are nowhere near the "hustle and bustle of BKK and Pattaya", especially Samui.

Try to visit both – and other potential places – and check them out in real-life, before you settle in one place for long time...????

I would definitely look at Hua Hin.  There are some nice places there.  It doesn't have the nightlife of Pattaya, Bangkok, or Phuket (Patong).  I actually like Prachuab Khiri Khan, another 100km south of Hua Hin.  No night life though and you really need to be able to speak some Thai if you live there.

You might also want to check out Bang Saray.  It's a nice area, quiet but not too far from Pattaya.  If you don't want to drive after a night out in Pattaya you could probably use Grab taxi to get back home.  

Focus your attention on Kamala beach in Phuket.

Kamala beach is a great swimming beach year-round. Kamala town has a relatively quiet “thai village” type of atmosphere, but with many small pubs and many restaurants, and a Big C.

Kamala is only a 10 minute drive over the hill to the world famous Patong nightlife and malls, and only 45 minutes drive to the international airport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 4:15 AM, geoffbezoz said:

So you say you come to Thailand twice yearly and also say you have done so for many years.  Surely by now you should know which areas are suitable to meet your requirements ? Unless of course when you mention Bangkok and Pattaya they are the only places you have been too over the years ?

Pattaya and BKK primarily, but also been to Chiang Mai, Buriram and Ayutthaya too.  Wasnt overly keen on Chaing Mai, dont know why, just didnt feel it. Buriram a no-no due to the obvious language barrier (very few english speakers there, which we knew anyway) so am asking others where else we should consider

3 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Pattaya and BKK primarily, but also been to Chiang Mai, Buriram and Ayutthaya too.  Wasnt overly keen on Chaing Mai, dont know why, just didnt feel it. Buriram a no-no due to the obvious language barrier (very few english speakers there, which we knew anyway) so am asking others where else we should consider

Like the south eastern side of Thailand most:

Koh Chang - Koh Mak - Koh Kood ???? It's more family friendly style there, more laidback

Archived