Prayut ‘to have the final say’ on Cabinet

webfact

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The world...the country demanded it...and after 5 years of promises...they put on a show for all to see...

I suspect the outcome of the "election" was predetermined...

You only "suspect", are you a stand-up comic in your spare time ????

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, JAG said:

A coup -to protect the nation of course!

Then a National Council for something or other will be established to take care of things, an interim constitution, with no doubt it's own "article 44" to allow rule by decree, and lots of committees to consider reforms. A clean out of various opposition politicians, banning of parties and political activity. Plenty of attitude adjustment, a few unfortunate sudden blood disorders, and possibly the odd unfortunate hanging himself with his socks whilst the CCTV is not working.

A new constitution to be drafted, and then, 5 years or so down the line a glorious flowering of new (Thai style) democracy.

Always supposing that the wheels don't fall off society before that...

It all sounds rather familiar.

You would think that after the unprecedented number of coups and constitution rewrites, it's hard to understand why the status of "Hub" isn't being claimed. This would allow an extensive number of experts to be employed full-time solely to oversee and arrange timely coups and constitutions to suit demand. 

1 hour ago, Ozman52 said:

You really don't understand how a coalition works. Given your scenario, what stops the minor party from withdrawing?

Withdraw, that removes direct access to the trough, more than sufficient to override any thoughts along those lines. 

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Why bother to vet cabinet candidates, they have to do what he says, or else.

As yet another 'Up Yours' to those who want rid of him and his junta?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He urged politicians to desist from involving the international community in the internal affairs of the country or to use them as a shield for their personal protection.

Another example of the phenomenon whereby the Thai old order cannot bear any kind of external scrutiny from international sources.I don't think international scrutiny necessarily makes for better behaviour but at least it exposes the hypocrisy, the lies and the contempt the Thai rulers have for their own people..

49 minutes ago, Artisi said:

You would think that after the unprecedented number of coups and constitution rewrites, it's hard to understand why the status of "Hub" isn't being claimed. This would allow an extensive number of experts to be employed full-time solely to oversee and arrange timely coups and constitutions to suit demand. 

I think there already is - it is called the "Army Officer Corps".

25 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Another example of the phenomenon whereby the Thai old order cannot bear any kind of external scrutiny from international sources.I don't think international scrutiny necessarily makes for better behaviour but at least it exposes the hypocrisy, the lies and the contempt the Thai rulers have for their own people..

Contempt for the people says it all. 

' Prayut said yesterday that he had no enemies and that if everyone respected the law, they would not be in trouble. '

He would be in trouble if he didn't have right backers and hadn't given himself legal immunity and reworked the constitution .

The whole Junta are neck deep in scandals and back hand deals .

He couldn't even show you his own wealth and estate details for those obvious reasons yet others get dragged into court at unusual speed over various rather weak/fabricated reasons for legal intervention ...

Shame wasn't so expedited and rigorous with the watch scandal and Rajabhaki Park scandal .

6 hours ago, webfact said:

“I’m waiting for the name lists from the parties and will call a meeting to discuss the matter,” Prayut said. “I have to personally look into this [portfolio allocation].”

6 hours ago, webfact said:

It’s the duty of the new premier.”

Looks liked he's sealed the coalition & given himself the top job!

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

And he actually believes that !

<deleted> amazing !

When you make the laws to serve only yourself... It is hard to imagine everyone not wanting to follow them

33 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Looks liked he's sealed the coalition & given himself the top job!

Can't say he doesn't have confidence.

The opposition should form the necessary block just to wipe the smile from this egotistical would be if he could be a/hole. 

41 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

' Prayut said yesterday that he had no enemies and that if everyone respected the law, they would not be in trouble. '

He would be in trouble if he didn't have right backers and hadn't given himself legal immunity and reworked the constitution .

The whole Junta are neck deep in scandals and back hand deals .

He couldn't even show you his own wealth and estate details for those obvious reasons yet others get dragged into court at unusual speed over various rather weak/fabricated reasons for legal intervention ...

Shame wasn't so expedited and rigorous with the watch scandal and Rajabhaki Park scandal .

Let's be specific on his major crime.He overthrew by force a democratically elected and royally endorsed government.This by any standards is not only breaking the law but spitting on it.

The name of this offense is high treason for which in many countries the penalty is death.

So what were you saying Prayuth about breaking the law?

So Boss Hogg will choose the hogs he will eat with at the trough.

With thanks to Pink Floyd

Big man, pig man
Ha, ha, charade you are
You well heeled big wheel
Ha, ha, charade you are
And when your hand is on your heart
You're nearly a good laugh
Almost a joker
With your head down in the pig bin
Saying 'Keep on digging'
Pig stain on your fat chin
What do you hope to find
Down in the pig mine?
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

Does anyone know whether Prayut retains his section 44 powers in the new government? 

He has to give it up. But I imagine he will find some way or excuse to keep something similar. He doesn't take criticism well at all. 

4 hours ago, Ozman52 said:

You really don't understand how a coalition works. Given your scenario, what stops the minor party from withdrawing?

Wow, I actually agree with Ozman52. Wonders never cease.

8 hours ago, jerojero said:

Praise Buddha! His Holiness Mr PM will personally screen the Cabinet. We are saved! Got any more useless brothers, sons, daughters, nephews, Mr Almighty PM? Line them up at the nepotism trough. Utterly ridiculous he should have so much say in the Democracy of Thailand Kingdom in 2019.

What democracy 

6 hours ago, jayboy said:

Let's be specific on his major crime.He overthrew by force a democratically elected and royally endorsed government.This by any standards is not only breaking the law but spitting on it.

The name of this offense is high treason for which in many countries the penalty is death.

So what were you saying Prayuth about breaking the law?

Treason is a charge that could quite rightfully be applied to at least the first 3 presidents of the US. History doesn't see it that way, being written by the winners.

2 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

Treason is a charge that could quite rightfully be applied to at least the first 3 presidents of the US. History doesn't see it that way, being written by the winners.

I take your point but the comparison doesn't really hold.The founders of America were fighting against tyranny and for their independence.The Thai coup makers were acting for tyranny and against democracy.

Be that as it may, a lecture that the law should be respected comes strangely from one that has held it in contempt.

Incidentally I'm not sure that the winners of the long protracted Thai struggle have yet been established.

4 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I take your point but the comparison doesn't really hold.The founders of America were fighting against tyranny and for their independence.The Thai coup makers were acting for tyranny and against democracy.

Be that as it may, a lecture that the law should be respected comes strangely from one that has held it in contempt.

Incidentally I'm not sure that the winners of the long protracted Thai struggle have yet been established.

It could also be argued that the junta were patriots ending a long term criminal conspiracy which had abused and perverted Thai democracy for their own enrichment. You may regard a lecture on the law as hypocrisy; I similarly regard any claim by PTP to be the bastions of democracy. By the results of the last election, many Thais fell the same way.

History never ends, but the upper hand is fairly clear.

Archived