Laws on sexual crime toughened

webfact

Rape is a crime usually perpetrated in private and therefore the evidence generally consists of the testimony of the alleged victim vs that of the alleged offender. In some cases the testimony and circumstantial evidence can be compelling. But most of the time the people concerned knew each other already and sometimes there is a sexual context to the encounter or even a preceding element of consent. 

There really are no legal remedies to this intractable social issue. Deeper work is necessary.

Just now, Pedrogaz said:

Might be a good way to reduce the prison population as a lot of rape happen in prison ????

Thailand is not the USA,does not happen here much i was told.

Just now, Pedrogaz said:

The other funny thing is why is necrophilia even a crime....no harm can be done to the corpse. If I were dead and someone raped me I wouldn't even care or bother reporting it to the police.

Something about dignity,something about disease but i better stop here.You are not a stand up comic and this is a serious thread.

Definitely much better (read: harsher) punishments compared to the country I am from (The Netherlands) and I feel that's a good thing. 

Soon we will bring our 2+ year old daughter to kindergarten and I have to admit as a father, this is a bit scary for me. I worry about bad teachers (prefer all woman teachers so will be looking for that). It's worrisome to read that 60% of victims are between 5 and 20 years old. 

The total reported sexual crimes in 2017 (317) seem very low to me for a big country like Thailand. I hope people (girls, parents, etc...) will speak out more whenever such crimes happen.

4 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

I wonder how many of the Thai bar girls will now go running to the police alleging rape when not paid the full fee demanded?

I would think people would negotiate the fee before spending quality time together? 

"The total reported sexual crimes in 2017 (317) seem very low to me for a big country like Thailand"

As others have said, most likely because most cases are "negotiated" in the privacy of the police station, with compensation then paid to the victim, and the police for their legal skills. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Death penalty will be given in cases where the victim dies as a result of sexual violence. 

2 hours ago, MellowYellow101 said:

Not only that, what if a Thai women decides to cry foul, that a guy has raped her, when in fact he is totally innocent? Then the RTP get a confession out of him... somehow, and then he's done for

Kind of difficult from the grave. 

I have met 2 Thai women who told me they got raped, one of them was raped by her cousin and the other was raped by her step dad, he even got her pregnant and she had an abortion, their families knew and didn’t do anything, no police, no nothing. It’s disturbing how common this happens. 

55 minutes ago, Jack P said:

There really are no legal remedies to this intractable social issue. Deeper work is necessary.

All human beings should be required to wear recording devices with GPS that can't be stopped or edited 24/7.

Then unpunished crimes will be a thing of the past.

3 hours ago, MellowYellow101 said:

The death penalty has been proven not to work, and in fact countries that use it have higher crime and murder rates. 
Not only that, what if a Thai women decides to cry foul, that a guy has raped her, when in fact he is totally innocent? Then the RTP get a confession out of him... somehow, and then he's done for. 

The death penalty may not deter people, but it does reduce the chance of reoffending 

I understand the concern expressed in this post "Not only that, what if a Thai women decides to cry foul, that a guy has raped her, when in fact he is totally innocent? Then the RTP get a confession out of him... somehow, and then he's done for. "

But I think it's ok, provided that any confession before they have been clearly informed in open court in their own language the sentence that the offence carries is inadmissible later on in court.  Or simply that no confession is admissible unless made voluntarily either in court or in the presence of the man's lawyer and any other appropriate person. I think Thailand needs there to be safeguards of some sort.  Checks and balances here in this new (sometimes) democracy are not strong.

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Maybe you are not smart enough to participate in this discussion?

I don't think the "not smart enough" comment was necessary. First, I noted that it was a serious topic. Second, necrophilia is a heinous act, but the article notes that necrophilia is rape of a corpse. I would posit the "rape of a corpse", by definition of rape (look it up) is not possible. Gee, maybe you're not smart enough.

3 hours ago, British Bulldog said:

QUOTE: "Sexual attacks against children below the age of 13, for example, will result in life in prison under the tougher law, while penalties will double for rapists who share recordings of the assault" ...... how the hell do you double a life sentence ?

Don’t be silly,you’re in a Buddhist country - so next life!

18 minutes ago, nickstav said:

I don't think the "not smart enough" comment was necessary. First, I noted that it was a serious topic. Second, necrophilia is a heinous act, but the article notes that necrophilia is rape of a corpse. I would posit the "rape of a corpse", by definition of rape (look it up) is not possible. Gee, maybe you're not smart enough.

Ok Nick,sorry about that,i was under the impression you were making a smartass comment.I apologize.

Rape of a corpse or sex with a corpse may not be the same thing by definition but we can agree it is a very sick thing to do.

12 minutes ago, jvs said:

Ok Nick,sorry about that,i was under the impression you were making a smartass comment.I apologize.

Rape of a corpse or sex with a corpse may not be the same thing by definition but we can agree it is a very sick thing to do.

Apology accepted. That's very big of you. Maybe I shouldn't have posted that at all. Yes, necrophilia is quite sick. Peace brother.

5 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

What utter and complete nonsense!  I guarantee you that the executed criminal will NEVER AGAIN commit another heinous crime.  Not only that, taxpayers won't have to bear the financial burden of feeding the cretin until he/she dies of old age.

Pull your head out MW101!  

So if you found yourself in the slammer because a deranged woman wanted to see you put down, you'd still promote this? Take a look at any nation in the world that still uses the death penalty, they all apart from maybe Japan, have higher rates of crime and murder, fact. Even the US that is so say developed, has a murder rate akin to may 3rd world nations. For a nation to fully evolve and become developed, one of the key and common traits is the abolishment of the death penalty. Countless innocent people get caught up in it, and I've seen even this year alone, women claiming they had been raped. There was a Western girl not long ago here in LOS that did just that, imagine if she would have gotten away with it, and some poor sod ended up with his life being taken away. 

7 hours ago, MellowYellow101 said:

The death penalty has been proven not to work, and in fact countries that use it have higher crime and murder rates. 
Not only that, what if a Thai women decides to cry foul, that a guy has raped her, when in fact he is totally innocent? Then the RTP get a confession out of him... somehow, and then he's done for. 

And that is different in other countries? For example, how many innocent people are imprisoned or have been executed in the US?

And the death penalty definitely helps if the right person is convicted and executed. He then no longer costs the taxpayers money and he does not murder anyone else anymore.

7 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

You can't punish a rapist enough. Too many times I'm reading about rapist in Thailand. These sentencing guidelines if enacted should help stem the epidemic

im no expert but being a rapist its a bit like being born heterosexual, gay or kiddy fiddler its the way they were born isn't it ? if so no prison sentence will stop it. im afraid its off with their nuts.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Sexual attacks against children below the age of 13, for example, will result in life in prison under the tougher law, while penalties will double for rapists who share recordings of the assault.

I know that Thais believe in reincarnation, but how will they determine who to 'award' the second life sentence to when the rapist dies?

14 hours ago, mok199 said:

''No matter how good any law is ,it all depends on the enforcers''...

Exactly..... no matter how severe the punishment, laws are irrelevant if they are not effectively enforced. Toughening the punishment does zilch to toughen the the law.

This is nice and all, but what happens when the complaints are false? More penalties = more women abusing false reports (and threat of false reports) as a weapon.

Sadly this isn't as far-fetched as it sounds. A tourist I met a while ago was telling me about a girl he picked up the night before only to realize later that she wanted money, when he refused to pay saying they never talked about money she told him that either he pays up or she goes to the police and tells them he raped her. Not sure if she was bluffing or serious - he paid.

On 5/29/2019 at 6:04 AM, mok199 said:

''No matter how good any law is ,it all depends on the enforcers''...

You are right there and with such an abysmal lack of transparency, woeful incompetence of lawyers here with the profession riddled with corruption and back handed arrangements and a court system that does not even have a proper transcription of evidence and translators that cannot speak the language they are supposedly translating, and a police force that does not understand how to keep untainted evidence and happy to take money for the rich to bypass the law and even implicate scape goats without a passing thought, it is a dangerous step to kill people for crimes they may not have committed. 

The record against Thai rapists is not so great - a certain low life on Krabi  springs to mind - so you have to wonder what impact this law will actually have. 

As you say it depends on the enforcers - is there any trust in them?

Children who are 13 years and children who are 15 years different sentences???

It should be all the same for all children and stiffer penalties.No minimum period .

Speaking from my childhood experience

Facken rock spiders

Archived