No pictures of driving licences on phones - top cop warns Thais not to be tricky

webfact

No pictures of driving licences on phones - top cop warns Thais not to be tricky

3pm.jpg

The top cop tasked with amending and restructuring Thailand's driving laws has reminded motorists that they must still carry their licence. 

Pol Maj-Gen Ekkaluk Limsangkat said that taking a picture of your licence and showing that to the police at traffic stops is not an option. 

You will have to wait until September 19th for that when police and Department of Land Transport systems are fully integrated and operational. 

He warned the public to follow the law and not be "tricky", reported Daily News. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-29

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, petedk said:

Oh, I can see what's coming next.

We can no longer carry photos of our passports and must have the real thing on us.

Why do you see this coming next when it’s already the law. 

Allowing pics of your passport in hit phone was just a gracious gesture   By no means it is a rule or law.

when I was caught up in a raid about 2 years ago , they did not accept pic in phone and insisted on seeing the real thing .

52 minutes ago, BestB said:

Allowing pics of your passport in hit phone was just a gracious gesture   By no means it is a rule or law.

when I was caught up in a raid about 2 years ago , they did not accept pic in phone and insisted on seeing the real thing .

Me thinks you might be mistaken.  https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/12/thailand-police-foreigners-not-required-to-carry-passports-at-all-times/ 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

You will have to wait until September 19th for that when police and Department of Land Transport systems are fully integrated and operational. 

They won't be. I guarantee it.

The top cop tasked with amending and restructuring Thailand's driving laws has reminded motorists that they must still carry their licence. 

So the 'app' that the DLT promoted prematurely months ago will not be accepted at all:

"Pheeraphon Thawornsupcharoen of the DLT. "Thais will not need to carry a license any more. Just show your smart phone"." [quoted from the news article below]

Initially the police said it wasn't yet an option, as the law had not yet to changed to allow for this.

Now, we're on to 'double-speak' from the police saying it's 'not an option'.

8 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

They won't be. I guarantee it.

September 19th - Isn't that the day after the 12th of Never?

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I'm not trying to be clever here, but would you happen to know what the law says about foreigners carrying identification?

Do you know if it specifically says 'passport' (as opposed to any other sort of ID), and do you know if it says 'original passport', thereby ruling out a copy of it?

31 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Me also think that in Thailand the goal posts are quite and often moved to the whims, wants and agenda of the current person in charge, so what used to be the norm yesterday, well, this WAS yesterday...

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm not trying to be clever here, but would you happen to know what the law says about foreigners carrying identification?

Do you know if it specifically says 'passport' (as opposed to any other sort of ID), and do you know if it says 'original passport', thereby ruling out a copy of it?

If you only carry the original, you'll be fined for not having a copy.

why do they have to renew a licence every 5 years? Mrs did it last week, took half a day of nonsense, including another colour blindness test, which I believe you do not develop but had to have the last time and a 50 minute film about how to drive on the road, when almost everyone is looking at their phones, or asleep.

From the year dot, I have been advised by the entire world and its spouse not to submit the actual license to a local cop; cos they might try to lever a small contribution to the benevolent fund out of you; or failing that just keep it so you have to go out and buy a new one. So I always have a stock of photocopies in the glove compartment. Actually, I usually do carry the real license, because it is useful quick ID for banks and supermarket car parks. I suppose the on-your-phone idea springs from those many who carry photocopies at present. So i will probably continue with the current way of doing things, but might also put it on the phone as a further contingency.

59 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

From memory section 38 of immigration act

37 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

why do they have to renew a licence every 5 years? Mrs did it last week, took half a day of nonsense, including another colour blindness test, which I believe you do not develop but had to have the last time and a 50 minute film about how to drive on the road, when almost everyone is looking at their phones, or asleep.

Just as on the roads...

I am assuming that it will not be necessary to carry the licence post 19th Sept as they will have a system somewhat similar to the UK. When the Thai shows their identity card up pops the information on driving licence, insurance, road tax, unpaid fines, ownership, if disqualified and other things. 

Pol Maj-Gen Ekkaluk Limsangkat said that taking a picture of your licence and showing that to the police at traffic stops is not an option. 

Amazing. Take time to look at your drivers licence, its not easy to see the expiry date; small print. I was stopped yesterday while driving Toyota Wish. The policeman stood at the passenger side with dark glasses on asked for my licence. It sits behind a clear plastic window in my wallet; so i just showed the wallet from where I sat; say 2.5 metres apart. He said good you can go?????????????????????????? At home I really had to look hard to see that date 8 inches away after I took it out of the wallet. Love to know where they get their eyesight from.

1 minute ago, legend49 said:

Amazing. Take time to look at your drivers licence, its not easy to see the expiry date; small print. I was stopped yesterday while driving Toyota Wish. The policeman stood at the passenger side with dark glasses on asked for my licence. It sits behind a clear plastic window in my wallet; so i just showed the wallet from where I sat; say 2.5 metres apart. He said good you can go?????????????????????????? At home I really had to look hard to see that date 8 inches away after I took it out of the wallet. Love to know where they get their eyesight from.

I'm pretty sure it comes from the bullshit factory.

Always keep the driver's license in your hand with every check. The police can indeed see the driver's license, but if possible do not give out of hand. Once the driver's license is in the policeman's hand, you have to pay to get it back. My Thai friend taught me this.

anyhows, a simple photocopy, or a smartphone photo cannot provide/reproduce the verification detail;  that comes with the embedded 3D laser protect symbols of the original Licence card

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

They introduced the five year license back in about 2004 IIRC, used to issue a permanent license and never had to renew. 

SWMBO has a permanent licence and so does MIL, the joke is MIL has never ever driven a motor car, not even to be issued with said licence. 

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

So the 'app' that the DLT promoted prematurely months ago will not be accepted at all:

"Pheeraphon Thawornsupcharoen of the DLT. "Thais will not need to carry a license any more. Just show your smart phone"." [quoted from the news article below]

Initially the police said it wasn't yet an option, as the law had not yet to changed to allow for this.

Now, we're on to 'double-speak' from the police saying it's 'not an option'.

What's the betting that there are more Thais with smartphones than have driving licences?

4 hours ago, malt25 said:

Correct, people need to but don't understand the function of a passport, it's for identification and entry into a country. Police, hotels etc have no right or power to demand random sighting once you have cleared immigration and entered the country. 

Archived