No pictures of driving licences on phones - top cop warns Thais not to be tricky

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

why do they have to renew a licence every 5 years? Mrs did it last week, took half a day of nonsense, including another colour blindness test, which I believe you do not develop but had to have the last time and a 50 minute film about how to drive on the road, when almost everyone is looking at their phones, or asleep.

I renewed mine about a month or so ago. Had to bring a medical certificate, wait in line (long time) to pay, at the cashier they had a device like a traffic light (but the red/yellow/green can come up at any position) for the color blindness test, then wait for my cue for taking a picture and 5 minutes after that I had my 2 new licenses in hand.

6 hours ago, petedk said:

Oh, I can see what's coming next.

We can no longer carry photos of our passports and must have the real thing on us.

I would rather pay a fine for not carrying my "real thing" than run the risk of losing it or having it stolen and have all the hassle and expense of getting it replaced ( and probably have to pay for a replacement visa!)

6 hours ago, BestB said:

Why do you see this coming next when it’s already the law. 

Allowing pics of your passport in hit phone was just a gracious gesture   By no means it is a rule or law.

when I was caught up in a raid about 2 years ago , they did not accept pic in phone and insisted on seeing the real thing .

Well i can see a queue at embassies and people missing their flights as drunken holiday makers on their 7 day package holiday, lose their passports or they get defaced or damaged.. this is going to be great for the Thai tourist industry,,,

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

So the 'app' that the DLT promoted prematurely months ago will not be accepted at all:

"Pheeraphon Thawornsupcharoen of the DLT. "Thais will not need to carry a license any more. Just show your smart phone"." [quoted from the news article below]

Initially the police said it wasn't yet an option, as the law had not yet to changed to allow for this.

Now, we're on to 'double-speak' from the police saying it's 'not an option'.

Just another instance of somebody showing that they are more important than somebody else!

2 hours ago, legend49 said:

Pol Maj-Gen Ekkaluk Limsangkat said that taking a picture of your licence and showing that to the police at traffic stops is not an option. 

Amazing. Take time to look at your drivers licence, its not easy to see the expiry date; small print. I was stopped yesterday while driving Toyota Wish. The policeman stood at the passenger side with dark glasses on asked for my licence. It sits behind a clear plastic window in my wallet; so i just showed the wallet from where I sat; say 2.5 metres apart. He said good you can go?????????????????????????? At home I really had to look hard to see that date 8 inches away after I took it out of the wallet. Love to know where they get their eyesight from.

Turning a  blind  eye?

Although it seems the 'law' on carrying your original passport is unclear. Unless you are going to or from the airport or immigration, it would be extremely ill advised to carry you original passport. You may well be inconvenienced if you are asked to produce your passport and only have a copy or a image of it on a smartphone. Although surely the police/immigration can match up anyones derails with there database that includes your picture when you arrive and leave. However losing a passport or having it stolen is a much much worse and more expensive inconvenience.

10 minutes ago, asean said:

I can see whats coming next. You just have to show a photo of a 1,000 baht note and they let you go.

Or, if there's the rare chance of one quick-witted BIB, will he show you a picture of a pair of handcuffs?

In the future all you need is a chip implanted under your skin. No need to bring any documents and passport. I think maybe within 20 years this will be the norm around the world. 

Nowhere to hide anymore. 

So what about the official apps of the LTO were you can connect to your driving licences on your phone /

\

They are not photos taken by you  but the computer image from the official web site.

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

They won't be. I guarantee it.

Oh, don't be like that. Just because the sensors on the buses for the wonderful new BMTA stored value card system are still shrouded in clingfilm, two years after installation, does not mean that inefficiencies have crept in; it merely means agreement on the division of spoils has not yet been agreed. 

8 hours ago, petedk said:

Oh, I can see what's coming next.

We can no longer carry photos of our passports and must have the real thing on us.

In 14 yrs I have never carried my Passport or been asked for it in Thailand but in Kuwait and China they have asked for it.

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

The top cop tasked with amending and restructuring Thailand's driving laws has reminded motorists that they must still carry their licence. 

So the 'app' that the DLT promoted prematurely months ago will not be accepted at all:

"Pheeraphon Thawornsupcharoen of the DLT. "Thais will not need to carry a license any more. Just show your smart phone"." [quoted from the news article below]

Initially the police said it wasn't yet an option, as the law had not yet to changed to allow for this.

What he actually said, and this was very clearly quoted in the OP was, "The top cop tasked with amending and restructuring Thailand's driving laws has reminded motorists that they must still carry their licence...You will have to wait until September 19th for that when police and Department of Land Transport systems are fully integrated and operational". 

No double-speak and it will be an option.

7 hours ago, malt25 said:

As always in Thailand, it doesn't matter what the law says but what the person in uniform says. Try telling him what the law is and that he is making a mistake and see how far you get.

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Always keep the driver's license in your hand with every check. The police can indeed see the driver's license, but if possible do not give out of hand. Once the driver's license is in the policeman's hand, you have to pay to get it back. My Thai friend taught me this.

Your Thai fiend was lying to you, that is not the norm.

42 minutes ago, Just Weird said:
7 hours ago, bluesofa said:
9 hours ago, webfact said:

The top cop tasked with amending and restructuring Thailand's driving laws has reminded motorists that they must still carry their licence. 

What he actually said, and this was very clearly quoted in the OP was, "The top cop tasked with amending and restructuring Thailand's driving laws has reminded motorists that they must still carry their licence...You will have to wait until September 19th for that when police and Department of Land Transport systems are fully integrated and operational".  

No double-speak and it will be an option. 

It wasn't very clear to my mind:

None of it was in speech marks, making unclear as to who said what, apart from

Pol Maj-Gen Ekkaluk Limsangkat said that taking a picture of your licence and showing that to the police at traffic stops is not an option. [unquote]

I thought the sentence

You will have to wait until September 19th for that when police and Department of Land Transport systems are fully integrated and operational. [unquote]

was part of the Daily News article, rather than a direct quote from Pol Maj-Gen Ekkaluk Limsangkat, as it was a new paragraph.

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

why do they have to renew a licence every 5 years? Mrs did it last week, took half a day of nonsense, including another colour blindness test, which I believe you do not develop but had to have the last time and a 50 minute film about how to drive on the road, when almost everyone is looking at their phones, or asleep.

In Australia ( NSW) you have to renew it every 5 years with a simple eye test although I understand that there are some changes that will allow a 10 year license in some circumstances.

Renewed my Thai license in Chiang Mai Province recently and had to undergo what you refer to in your post.

As the only Farang in attendance I had the privilege of viewing a DVD on my own in my own room.

It brought back memories of some of the things I learned about 50 years ago such as how to park. 

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm not trying to be clever here, but would you happen to know what the law says about foreigners carrying identification?

Do you know if it specifically says 'passport' (as opposed to any other sort of ID), and do you know if it says 'original passport', thereby ruling out a copy of it?

I have never thought anything different. 

Whenever I am out and about I put my passport in a plastic bag in the pocket. 

Along with the numerous attachments, TM6, residence, etc.

Receipts for extensions etc.

It really does make a difference if I'm up country and need to report residency etc.

The local police station just writes a stat dec type document and puts it in the passport. 

Same driving license. 

I stick it in the sun visor and wait for the numerous roadside checks. 

We are guests in this country and I really try to keep life simple. 

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

I have never thought anything different. 

Whenever I am out and about I put my passport in a plastic bag in the pocket. 

Along with the numerous attachments, TM6, residence, etc.

Receipts for extensions etc.

It really does make a difference if I'm up country and need to report residency etc.

The local police station just writes a stat dec type document and puts it in the passport. 

Same driving license. 

I stick it in the sun visor and wait for the numerous roadside checks. 

We are guests in this country and I really try to keep life simple. 

I keep mine all in a Bellroy leather Passport wallet/sleeve, has two card slots on one side (which I use an ATM cloth sleeve to hold 2/3 cards/license in each position) and a sleeve pocket on the other for money (or bank passbook). Has a bonus little pen that slides into the top too, which also comes in handy.

bellroy-passport-wallet-5-thumb-620x449-

15 hours ago, BestB said:

Why do you see this coming next when it’s already the law. 

Allowing pics of your passport in hit phone was just a gracious gesture   By no means it is a rule or law.

when I was caught up in a raid about 2 years ago , they did not accept pic in phone and insisted on seeing the real thing .

Your life must be true hell. One thing many TV members don't realise there's another World out there. My life never revolves around Thailand albeit 'part of it' but happy I don't make it my solar system. I just visit 3-months a year now don't care about driving licences, or things like that ..... we're gonna die enjoy life ....

15 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Always keep the driver's license in your hand with every check. The police can indeed see the driver's license, but if possible do not give out of hand. Once the driver's license is in the policeman's hand, you have to pay to get it back. My Thai friend taught me this.

It's nonsense

9 hours ago, ocddave said:

I keep mine all in a Bellroy leather Passport wallet/sleeve, has two card slots on one side (which I use an ATM cloth sleeve to hold 2/3 cards/license in each position) and a sleeve pocket on the other for money (or bank passbook). Has a bonus little pen that slides into the top too, which also comes in handy.

bellroy-passport-wallet-5-thumb-620x449-

I find a Bic C small carrier bag does the job...

????

19 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

lucky her, the videos I had to watch was more like 3 hours. I let my license expire when i didn't have a bike for a while and they forced me to watch that 3 hours of nonsense again.. there was no way they would just let me do the test without watching the video, lady at the counter quite dislikes me now and gives me a hard time because i asked her 2-3 times why i would have to watch this and waste my time if i could just pass the test.

I read today that 84% of fines for traffic offences are never paid.  If these penalties were enforced maybe the daily kill figures would come down?  How hard can it be to send a cop to a house and confiscate a car?  You'd only have to do this three million times before Thais got the message.  Of the 16% who do pay up, I wonder what percentage are farangs?  What does this say about Thais as a Nation accepting responsibility for their wrongdoing?

28 minutes ago, kekalot said:

lucky her, the videos I had to watch was more like 3 hours. I let my license expire when i didn't have a bike for a while and they forced me to watch that 3 hours of nonsense again.. there was no way they would just let me do the test without watching the video, lady at the counter quite dislikes me now and gives me a hard time because i asked her 2-3 times why i would have to watch this and waste my time if i could just pass the test.

"lady at the counter quite dislikes me now"  Sounds like a pretty smart lady to me !

Archived