No pictures of driving licences on phones - top cop warns Thais not to be tricky

webfact

22 hours ago, BestB said:

Why do you see this coming next when it’s already the law. 

Allowing pics of your passport in hit phone was just a gracious gesture   By no means it is a rule or law.

when I was caught up in a raid about 2 years ago , they did not accept pic in phone and insisted on seeing the real thing .

I know it is the law to carry your passport with you, but I remember reading only a few months ago that some police official admitted that it was ok to have a copy of your passport or a photo on your mobile.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

In 14 yrs I have never carried my Passport or been asked for it in Thailand but in Kuwait and China they have asked for it.

I have been here for 20 years and never asked for my passport.

I have been stopped when driving and asked to show my license, but that is all.

15 hours ago, asean said:

I can see whats coming next. You just have to show a photo of a 1,000 baht note and they let you go.

We will all live in a cyber world, look at photos of holiday destinations, look at photos of food, look at photos of girls, look at photos of ....... 

37 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

sounds like a typical nasty vindictive government employee bully to me

"dislikes me now and gives me a hard time because i asked her 2-3 times why i would have to watch this and waste my time if i could just pass the test."  So you agree that bullying the counter lady by insisting special treatment is ok ? We don't have to like the rules, we just have to accept them.

23 hours ago, BestB said:

Why do you see this coming next when it’s already the law. 

Allowing pics of your passport in hit phone was just a gracious gesture   By no means it is a rule or law.

when I was caught up in a raid about 2 years ago , they did not accept pic in phone and insisted on seeing the real thing .

What about a copy?

Thailand is a BIG joke...smoke & mirrors...just pay and leave less than 30days everything will be ok as long as you stay off the roads and side walks you should make it out alive, or out of the hospital.

18 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I renewed mine about a month or so ago. Had to bring a medical certificate, wait in line (long time) to pay, at the cashier they had a device like a traffic light (but the red/yellow/green can come up at any position) for the color blindness test, then wait for my cue for taking a picture and 5 minutes after that I had my 2 new licenses in hand.

When I first got mine I had to bring in the medical certificate watch a 20 min video pay the money and got my license no vision test of any kind

14 hours ago, dallen52 said:

I have never thought anything different. 

Whenever I am out and about I put my passport in a plastic bag in the pocket. 

Along with the numerous attachments, TM6, residence, etc.

Receipts for extensions etc.

It really does make a difference if I'm up country and need to report residency etc.

The local police station just writes a stat dec type document and puts it in the passport. 

Same driving license. 

I stick it in the sun visor and wait for the numerous roadside checks. 

We are guests in this country and I really try to keep life simple. 

To date I have not been asked for my license at any check point

7 hours ago, Fred white said:

To date I have not been asked for my license at any check point

Last drive from pattaya to Nangrong I had six stops from turning off the motorway and getting to Nangrong. 

4 police and 2 military. 

Its about normal. 

That's why I stash the wallet. 

And put the license in the sun visor. 

Give them no excuses for tea money collection. 

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

Last drive from pattaya to Nangrong I had six stops from turning off the motorway and getting to Nangrong. 

4 police and 2 military. 

Its about normal. 

That's why I stash the wallet. 

And put the license in the sun visor. 

Give them no excuses for tea money collection. 

Tea money...what the hell for?  they kiss my grits...I already laundered 800/400K for the visa...they can go borrow their tea money from BJ or the bank - those lazy pricks.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:30 PM, mike787 said:

Tea money...what the hell for?  they kiss my grits...I already laundered 800/400K for the visa...they can go borrow their tea money from BJ or the bank - those lazy pricks.

Even with some nice Thai friends who work for the police special ops and immigration, i still avoid confrontations. 

It's not about the right or wrong aspect,  it's more about the saving face, with Thais, especially in uniform. 

Some of the road checks heading north are the same people each time and they do remember you. 

Some nice chats had, some do speak English..

Amazing how many Thais get hauled over heading into border areas. 

On 5/29/2019 at 11:28 AM, Mexlark said:

From the year dot, I have been advised by the entire world and its spouse not to submit the actual license to a local cop; cos they might try to lever a small contribution to the benevolent fund out of you; or failing that just keep it so you have to go out and buy a new one. So I always have a stock of photocopies in the glove compartment. Actually, I usually do carry the real license, because and supermarket car parks. I suppose the on-your-phone idea springs from those many who carry photocopies at present. So i will probably continue with the current way of doing things, but might also put it on the phone as a further contingency.

it is useful quick ID for banks ??? i have known the pleasant teller at my bank for 15 yrs  but they still insist on original passport,and so they should. yellow book ? no. pink card ? no.

Archived