Tuk-tuk ripoff! Thank you ladies that will be 500 baht - EACH!

webfact

Tuk-tuk ripoff! Thank you ladies that will be 500 baht - EACH!

7pm.jpg
Caption: Embarrassing rip-off

Three female western tourists who took a "tuk-tuk" ride from Nang Lerng in Bangkok to the Victory Monument agreed a fee of 500 baht. It is a journey of about five kilometers. 

When they got to their destination the driver told them is was 500 baht EACH! He wanted 1,500 baht for the short hop.

Fearing it was their own misunderstanding they paid up without complaint. 

When they told a Thai guide about what happened they were angry on their behalf and told JS 100 Radio who posted the story, said Naewna. 

Meanwhile Kamon Buranapong, a deputy at the Department of Land Transport, said that while tuk-tuk drivers need a licence there are no regulations about what they can charge and no set fares. 

7pm1.jpg
Picture: Naewna

They would however look into this case as it was a clear the driver had taken advantage of the tourists.

He said that he hopes regulations would be introduced in the future. 

Naewna said that there are 20,068 tuk-tuks operating nationwide in 12 provinces. 

Some 9,332 of these ply the streets of Bangkok. 

Thaivisa notes that tuk-tuks do not have meters and fares are bargained. A similar journey in a meter taxi is unlikely to cost much more than 150 baht. 

Sources: NaewnaNaewna

36 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Typical stupid foreigners. And then you wonder why prices are soaring everywhere.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

When you're a newbie here it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking the country is the same as yours. I mean in terms of rules and regulations. Law and order. You soon learn it isn't. But heaven forbid you advise another foreigner to be cautious when dealing with taxi drivers and tuk-tuks, etc. You can be accused of being negative and/or a basher. A feelings before facts logic. 

I was lucky as I was advised not to use tuk-tuks when I first got here. My mates used them when they were here, and uh, yea, they got ripped off. They don't live here and they really didn't care. Some people don't care and some people do. I fall into the latter one. 

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

negotiate the fare before jumping in.

They did and were quoted 500 baht.......only to find at their destination it was 500 baht each.....sneaky bugger and unsuspecting tourists :thumbsup:

Once, when I first came here, my friends and I, after some haggling, took a tuk-tuk to the golden mound (it was my second trip there). However, the tuk-tuk driver stopped at some shop and said that the golden mound was closed (and as I had already been there once and I had read a lot of these warnings regarding tuk-tuk's... I knew it was a lie!), so we went in to the shop found a second exit and never went back to that tuk-tuk... and of course, when we came to the golden mound around 5 minutes later... it was open as usual!

Phuket for example is still a Mafia-run Island, and the reason why prices are the most expensive in the whole country.

Many of my friends don't go there anymore, and good for them. They have gone to more fertile ground where there is still beauty and the prices are reasonable.

50 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

If beeing a newbie for you means the persons that do not have about 6K posts on Thai Visa Forum, then it´s very sad.

Many of the persons that register on this forum have been here for many years already, and we do not think Thailand is like our home country.

"When you're a newbie". We were all newbies once; just like I imagine these tourists are. Newbies might think like this. Not people who live here. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:
Meanwhile Kamon Buranapong, a deputy at the Department of Land Transport, said that while tuk-tuk drivers need a licence there are no regulations about what they can charge and no set fares. 

7pm1.jpg
Picture: Naewna

They would however look into this case as it was a clear the driver had taken advantage of the tourists.

Naewna said that there are 20,068 tuk-tuks operating nationwide in 12 provinces. 

Some 9,332 of these ply the streets of Bangkok. 

In other words, you won't to SH&******

3 hours ago, petermik said:

They did and were quoted 500 baht.......only to find at their destination it was 500 baht each.....sneaky bugger and unsuspecting tourists :thumbsup:

idiot tourists and cowards....they could have walked away or threatened to call the police.

Same happened a few years ago in C/Mai , we went from our hotel to the entertainment entrance the tuk tuk driver said 200B , my mate gave him 500 and was given 100 B change. My mate is a big fella and sat in the tuk tuk until the fare came to 200 NOT each. It might of taken a while for the driver to realise that after 15 mins he was not able to rip anyone else off.

5 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Move along, nothing illegal here, only tourists being robbed. Tuk tuk driver should actually be banned from the roads for being a robbing scumbag. 

Should be banned for smog pollution

I have ridden in one of these awful, uncomfortable rip-off transports once....that was the first time I came here in 2005. Never again...it wasn't romantic, it wasn't charming....it was dirty, smelly, uncomfortable and dangerous. We were not overcharged but we were mnearly killed...so I suppose it evens out.

36 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Same happened a few years ago in C/Mai , we went from our hotel to the entertainment entrance the tuk tuk driver said 200B , my mate gave him 500 and was given 100 B change. My mate is a big fella and sat in the tuk tuk until the fare came to 200 NOT each. It might of taken a while for the driver to realise that after 15 mins he was not able to rip anyone else off.

Always have the exact money for tuk-tuks and songtaws.

Been here nearly 10 years, after two tuk-tuk rides I never got in one again, guess I'm a slow learner.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Amazing Thailand... I was in Hua Hin once and needed to get to the nearby mini-van pick-up point.

Tuk tuk's were at the end of my Soi so I asked how much.. 200 baht was the reply... I said it's less that 5 minutes away.. 200 baht said the driver. A song taew went passed at the moment & I flagged him down

he stopped I jumped on... 25 baht was the cost!!!!

4 hours ago, the guest said:

Phuket for example is still a Mafia-run Island, and the reason why prices are the most expensive in the whole country.

Many of my friends don't go there anymore, and good for them. They have gone to more fertile ground where there is still beauty and the prices are reasonable.

Very nice and all that but this is about what happened in Bangkok.

8 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

When you're a newbie here it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking the country is the same as yours. I mean in terms of rules and regulations. Law and order. You soon learn it isn't. But heaven forbid you advise another foreigner to be cautious when dealing with taxi drivers and tuk-tuks, etc. You can be accused of being negative and/or a basher. A feelings before facts logic. 

I was lucky as I was advised not to use tuk-tuks when I first got here. My mates used them when they were here, and uh, yea, they got ripped off. They don't live here and they really didn't care. Some people don't care and some people do. I fall into the latter one. 

I did serious research before i arrived on my first trip years ago. And every time i try to warn or help any foreigners i get the. "I know whats going on!" And its so easy to tell they just arrived for the first time. I just walk away and laugh. And think to myself arrogant SUCKER ! I don,t even bother trying to help or translate any more. It is not worth the dirty looks and rude response

Archived