Samlor hit my car - police want me to pay...

1 hour ago, Tajasia said:

sue them

who the Police, we did ask for a well known lawyer that you see mentioned on here how much legal fees would be. 6k an hour to start and 200k to start at court, plus VAT, not really a goer.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Send the police your insurance agent's phone number and contact details.

Don't go to the police station yourself. Refuse all direct contact.

Only speak English with anyone/everyone, generally be as stupid and difficult as possible.

great advice .   seeing all the "likes"  I guess that many here can understand 

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

My point.. there are people out there that do the right thing. People that don't decide that the foreigner is always wrong. 

Yes,  it is hit or miss situation.

19 hours ago, Davo369 said:

Hi Simon, through my personal experience I didn't think you have any chance of Winning against a thai. I had a thai lady drive straight into me on my bike "I had right of way"  and a police man witnessed everything. The damage to her car, windscreen smashed, big dent on the bonnet. Damage to my bike not much. Damage to me, slight fracture to my spine. 37000 bht hospital bill. Insurance covered. Cut one short I was lucky to get away with  50/50

"Right of Way" ???? 1. He who is there first... 2. He who wants to be there first... 3. He who needs money.... 4. Not defined in Thai Driving Manual...

Another update:  My good Thai friend called my Thai witness who re-affirmed that he saw everything (he was sitting in the roadside cafe that I almost drove into as I swerved off the road).  He is happy to act as my witness, but is unable to attend the Saturday meeting (he's in Kong Kaen). He's happy to attend on another date or to provide a sworn statement.

Regardless, your story seems like the truck was tailgating impatiences and trying at the last second switch to a lane trucks have no business using?

Huh?  go back and read my OP ????  The truck had nothing to do with it.  The impatient samlor driver right behind the slow truck decided to use my side of the road to overtake the truck, even though I was already driving on it...

Right or wrong, it's usually easier to pay a couple thousand Baht just to be done with it rather than to try to prove a point, generally there is no paperwork involved... TIT... I was rear ended by a motorcycle. Clearly a failure to stop in a sure clear distance. I was coerced to pay him 3000 Baht just to be jai dee. My Thai wife actually was the main one saying to pay him... and of course the police agreed.

8 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Moral of story,.... if you are in the right, never give in. Thais will always try it on for money whether they are right or wrong. (Why do we stay in this country?)

ah, i love thai bashing.   personally i am thinking of moving to usa where i can spill coffee on myself or fall drunk on someones property and then sue them for negligence.  Now that is a civilized approach to things !

2 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

Right or wrong, it's usually easier to pay a couple thousand Baht just to be done with it rather than to try to prove a point, generally there is no paperwork involved... TIT... I was rear ended by a motorcycle. Clearly a failure to stop in a sure clear distance. I was coerced to pay him 3000 Baht just to be jai dee. My Thai wife actually was the main one saying to pay him... and of course the police agreed.

I would rather be shot in the head and killed, than pay 1 dime to a corrupt police officer attempting to extort me.

And I'm happy to say that to their faces.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would rather be shot in the head and killed, than pay 1 dime to a corrupt police officer attempting to extort me.

Since when do you speak Thai? 

17 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

"Right of Way" ???? 1. He who is there first... 2. He who wants to be there first... 3. He who needs money.... 4. Not defined in Thai Driving Manual...

What the fxxxk are you on about. I had right of way, you nob

18 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Agree.  If the OP has Class 1 insurance, they should take care of everything and I mean everything.  I had a friend who was in an accident with a motorcycle and this friend was at fault.  Still, the insurance company paid for everything. 

I wonder which vehicle insurance company, Thai company or international company?

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Are you bored Simon ?? Why did you even bother to write this OP ?

You've been in this area long enough and read TVF for long enough.

You know the answer already and even state it in your OP ????

But let us know how it turns out for sure...

He wrote it for my entertainment and I appreciate it.

What's wrong with you people criticizing every thread?

Agreed with BritManToo.  You pay for First Class Insurance. Use it.   Direct all inquiries to your insurance company.  Get the name and telephone of the agent handling your case and hand that to the police.  Also, buy a Dash Cam.  That would have solved a lot of your problems.  

30 minutes ago, Pravda said:

What's wrong with you people criticizing every thread?

Seems to be a spate of useless threads recently... 

1st time posters looking for clicks, one could even be forgiven for thinking maybe accounts created by the people who benefit for advertising ??

Just surprised by Simon posting this, given how long he's been here. Just seemed like a waste of time...

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

NamLaew, You could not have possibly thought that I was telling him to buy a camera,

for an accident that had already happened !,that would just be stupid to think that........

regards worgeordie

No. I was just thinking that the OP was looking for advice on his immediate, unfortunate circumstance and that suggestions for preventative measures usually show up further down the first page.

Saw a dumb bloke getting all riled up at the insurance desk at a local hospital when he discovered he couldn't buy accident insurance some 12 hours after his dumber siblings had their life-changing motorbike accident.

Now THAT is stupid.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

"Samlors are waived from road tax and insurance requirements so good luck with that one."

No, they're not. But for yearly registration the sidecar has to be detached, because with sidecar it is an illegal contraption.

You're talking saleng.

I'm talking samlor.

Maybe the OP needs to clarify?

20 hours ago, Davo369 said:

Hi Simon, through my personal experience I didn't think you have any chance of Winning against a thai. I had a thai lady drive straight into me on my bike "I had right of way"  and a police man witnessed everything. The damage to her car, windscreen smashed, big dent on the bonnet. Damage to my bike not much. Damage to me, slight fracture to my spine. 37000 bht hospital bill. Insurance covered. Cut one short I was lucky to get away with  50/50

You have every chance of winning if you refuse to roll over.

Had to look it up....Samlors (Thai Rickshaws)

In many Thai towns and cities, samlors are still used as a means of transport. The traditional samlor (sam=three; lor=wheel) is a rickshaw which is pedaled by the driver whilst the passenger sits in the back. Some motorized rickshaws are also called samlors, but more commonly the motorized versions are known as tuk-tuks.

40285799-6F95-4B92-88CD-6F13D2FD34DF.jpeg

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sam Law = three wheel.

Song Taw = two row (of seats)

No need to look anything up if you can speak Thai, and usually what you look up is incorrect.

I learnt something today. Cheers ????

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Do we send flowers or do you want us to contribute to some favored cause instead?

1 hour ago, ianezy0 said:
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Sam Law = three wheel.

No need to look anything up if you can speak Thai, and usually what you look up is incorrect.

I learnt something today. Cheers ????

And this is a saling, sometimes motorized.

Saling.jpg

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

The word saling is hardly ever used.

If you are suggesting it's hardly used where you live, then whereabouts in LOS do you live?

It's saleng BTW.

933079862_salengsoftheworld.jpg.ad019e956ac28d2ba8b5e0a922886fa5.jpg

In the meantime, here's some samlors to be getting on with.

1440261056_samlorsoftheworld.jpg.daa40b1b149c9f0cc3c4bd4992ac3531.jpg

ps. frangipani.com also doesn't have a clue.

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Send the police your insurance agent's phone number and contact details.

Don't go to the police station yourself. Refuse all direct contact.

Only speak English with anyone/everyone, generally be as stupid and difficult as possible.

Exactly what I would do, and have been advised to do by family. In my one and only accident, first call was to the insurance agent, second step was securing the sd card from the camera. Witnesses are great when no one is around, but as soon as they have to produce their ID's and make a statement, they seem to disappear or have a foggy memory. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Sam Law = three wheel.

And for your bonus point...

Sa Leng = ?

Archived