Hua Hin and Chiang Mai among the 10 Best Places to Retire in Asia

webfact

2 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Not in the city center ???? They have many ovens there at this temple in Hua Hin and sometimes the smoke came into my hotel room. I also didn't like to eat my dinner at an open air restaurant with the feeling that ash from the cremations falls on my food. 

And how do you know that the crematory ashes have fallen upon you? If so, then fodder for my point. "IF" you want tourists, then obviously your regimen needs to adjust. Simple stuff- albeit 3rd world countries ...unless you do not care for tourism OR do not depend upon it, then fine. Just don't expect tourists in your midst to breathe your burned crops air.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not defending the report, but I cant help scratching my head about the reading comprehension that leads to most comments here:

First off, the headline says '[]....best places in Asia...[]' - it does not say that it is possible or probable every other place on earth is better

Secondly, the list just shows the 10 places to be the best - what does that say about the rest of Asia? that all other places are worse........doesn't make CM and HH into a place a Westerner should retire to.

Its called propaganda and it is an art to play with words to mislead the unprepared reader into the abyss.........

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Sure.

-Forced deposits you cannot touch or income verification that cannot step out of line per month or void.

-90 day forced check ins. 

-TM30 forced checking of being back at home. 

-Small yearly allowances to stay here. 

So many jump through the hoop benefits

Have you looked at the hoops you need to jump through to retire in the other places mentioned... 

• Malaysia - MM2H is an excellent retirement package BUT comes with much higher financial requirements (a couple who only have $1,200 pm couldn't meet them)
  • Bali - min 55, mandatory Health Insurance, $1,500 (~50k THB) pension or $18,270 (~600K THB) in Bank, proof of rental agreement of at least $380 pm (~12K THB) [NB You usually pay 1 year advance in Bali] & a letter stating that you agree to employ at least 1 Indonesian.
  • Vietnam & Taiwan - No Retirement Visa Options  

... Makes Thailand look like a doddle (Though as somebody who is on the cusp of making the move, I'm leaning towards elsewhere).

These articles are so misleading and sadly a lot of people don't do enough homework before thay start putting roots down.12 years ago when we moved here it appeared idylic.Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if we were leaving Bangkok today for a retirement destination CM would not even be considered. We have new neighbours recenly relocating from Bangkok and the lady suffers from asthma

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Hua Hin and Chiang Mai have are two of the best retirement destinations Asia, according to a new article by news and information site U.S. News & World Report.

Obviously US News & World Report doesn't have a clue about Thai Immigration and the overall pervasive xenophobia.

And then there is no wonder why northern women want an "out" I personally do not blame them- no matter what they choose to do. If confronted with the same scenario, I most likely would look elsewhere- for whatever reason(s). Such is a country still trying to figure out what people want. Pattaya and other popular sex-oriented places obviously fulfill both parties. And that will not change. I guess to each his/her own. Just stay away from angry (and obviously lacking any reasonable mental health) who seem to be without any ability to refrain from hitting or abusing their partner.  Grow up Thai males....your lack of respect....your lack of doing anything to contribute period...and your short fuse make your women look elsewhere. Got it?

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

Yep, all strong points against CM. They need to nail this burning season issue seriously, with some method in the very near future..it was hell this year regarding pollution, and I've been here for over 5 years now. Class action lawsuit against he govt. for health damage should do it.

The best places are often not on top 10 best place lists...as they say, a good thing becomes a bad thing when it gets too much exposure to the world.

The Bangkok Elite who make all the decisions don't care they don't have to live there.

They don't care about the carnage on the roads because they have motorcades & top end vehicles.

They don't care about the rabid dogs because they don't have to walk anywhere.

They don't care about the rubbish & sh1t everywhere because they only go to 5* places where they actually clean up (and dump it on the peasants).

RInse repeat rinse repeat year after year after year

Just now, Sparkles said:

These articles are so misleading and sadly a lot of people don't do enough homework before thay start putting roots down.12 years ago when we moved here it appeared idylic.Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if we were leaving Bangkok today for a retirement destination CM would not even be considered. We have new neighbours recenly relocating from Bangkok and the lady suffers from asthma

And?

The best places to retire in Asia include:

• George Town, Malaysia
  • Bali, Indonesia
  • Da Nang, Vietnam
  • Udagamandalam, India
  • Chiang Mai, Thailand
  • Kota Kinabalu, Malaysian Borneo
  • Da Lat, Vietnam
  • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  • Hua Hin, Thailand
  • Taipei, Taiwan

But thanks and a tip of the hat to USN&WR for supply a list of alternate places to retire for those currently in Thailand but considering pulling up stakes and moving.

In its report, the site considered factors such as cost of living, weather and medical care, all of which were favourable in both Hua Hin and Chiang Mai.

The site 'considered' the 'weather' in Chiang Mai to be 'favourable?'

The reporter that researched this article must have been an Orc from the sulfur-choked Plains of Mordor beneath the Eye of Sauron.  
Then the mid-hot season AQI PM 2.5 = 350 and the incessant address tracking and monitoring by Sauron's minions at Thai Immigration (TM30, TM28, TM6, 90 Reports, "Can I see you passport pleesse.") would actually seen like a breath of fresh air

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

Traded up ? HH may not be Las Vegas but every time I go to Cha-am I'm convinced half the population (when you actually see anyone) is in a coma !! Upgrade it ain't!

Depends what you are looking for i guess.I hardly ever go to cha-am city,i live about 10km outside in the middle of nature!!

Love it here,did i trade up?I did! but ofcourse you and i may not have the same outlook on life,i can do without the tourist thing.

After living in Thailand for 6 years, 3 of which were in Chiang Mai, I can say this article is like a green light at a busy intersection in Thailand ... Use it only as a guideline. 

The cultural side of Chaing Mai is no better than many interesting spots around Thailand. The air is awful most of the year and the traffic/driving habits absurd. My score for Chiang Mai is 5/10. The national problem for many foreigners are the ever changing visa requirements. 

I've been on Bali for 7 weeks now. Tested out Ubud... 6/10 and Sanur 7/10. Kuta and Seminyak 3/10. Ubud fails miserably with too many vehicles on narrow roads. Sanur is on the beach...fresh air and still plenty of balinese culture all around. 

Indonesia has been MUCH more welcoming with respect to long stay visas. 

Just how are these articles compiled? What's the sample size.. 5..  50 or 500 or more ? 

20 hours ago, Swedenlars said:

Ironically they mention that the weather and medical care in Chiang Mai was one of the reasons for the top ranking. Well, with a air quality that makes you sick you need a good medical care indeed 

Top ranking is indeed what they got this year - for world's worst air pollution. 

I know of at least 2 residents of Chiang Mai who are returning home as a result of pollution. One is a working Osteopath and Chiropractor. Skills badly needed in Thailand. The government do nothing. Japan does not have this problem. Why not look to their solution.

21 minutes ago, Bournville said:

After living in Thailand for 6 years, 3 of which were in Chiang Mai, I can say this article is like a green light at a busy intersection in Thailand ... Use it only as a guideline. 

The cultural side of Chaing Mai is no better than many interesting spots around Thailand. The air is awful most of the year and the traffic/driving habits absurd. My score for Chiang Mai is 5/10. The national problem for many foreigners are the ever changing visa requirements. 

I've been on Bali for 7 weeks now. Tested out Ubud... 6/10 and Sanur 7/10. Kuta and Seminyak 3/10. Ubud fails miserably with too many vehicles on narrow roads. Sanur is on the beach...fresh air and still plenty of balinese culture all around. 

Indonesia has been MUCH more welcoming with respect to long stay visas

Just how are these articles compiled? What's the sample size.. 5..  50 or 500 or more ? 

Can you please provide more information on your long stay visa as the research I've done suggests is much harder/more expensive to get one unless your married to a local (It doesn't help that < 55 (53))... Unless you go for the 1 Year ME option which seems to involve border runs every 60 days

Finally a day of (relative) decent air quality here in CM-overall city reading is in the green at 30...better air than Vancouver,B.C!....

BUT!....I walk out my front door and see Somchai lighting up the stuble from the recently harvested rice crop. O.k,this is normal before the field is plowed under,a procedure in repeat-mode for generations. I've wondered if this activity is proven to be really necessary....is it to better the soil et.. or keep the evil rice paddy sprites at bay...??? I'd like to corner Somchai one day with a bottle of Lao and ask some basic questions.....but you can guess where that conversation will go.

Oh well, one more week and I'm out of here till Sept.

To be sure,the biggest (re-occurring) problem of CM is air pollution. It's a fine place to live otherwise,IMHO.

burn baby burn.jpg

3 hours ago, TSF said:

There should be legal action taken against whoever writes these garbage reports of Thailand being a retiree's paradise. People read all this baloney then come to the country and invest in condos and long-term leases then find themselves trying to navigate the immigration minefield...talk about buying a pig in a poke. 

•  

....worse than gang rape by sodomy!!!  It surprises me more people are unable to see the light as you do.  Those rose colored glasses are blinding all sense of perception and thought processes, but what the heck we all live and learn. 

Can you please provide more information on your long stay visa as the research I've done suggests is much harder/more expensive to get one unless your married to a local (It doesn't help that  

Yes... The visa is much more expensive. 2 routes for over 55 year olds. Social visa.. 130 usd Good for 60 days renewable 4x 30 days at 50 usd per month. All via an agent... Much easier. OR a KITAS 55+. 1.500 usd per month income.. Medical insurance

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Why is Bangkok not high up on this list? 

It is quiet in many areas and has everything. Even the air quality is usually not a problem and there are far fewer road accidents than elsewhere. Citizens are more law abiding than in the boondocks, too.

Stories like this often list proximity to Bangkok as an advantage - why not live in it!

Rooster

14 minutes ago, ThailandGuy said:

" A couple can live here comfortably on as little as $1,200 per month, and you can see an English-speaking doctor for $20 "

I managed to see a Thai speaking doctor for 77bht, and that included a months worth of medication..

I managed to see a Thai speaking doctor for 77bht, and that included a months worth of medication..
Do you live in a tree house up in the deepest province ? [emoji13]

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

22 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Looks like Beijing, well anywhere really with that sort of air pollution.

Chiang Mai generally has worse pollution than Beijing does these days. China is making efforts to clean up while Thailand obviously doesn’t care, as you’d expect from a third world country.

I love how writers armchair retirement locations. Thailand is a terrible place to retire unless you want to spend the rest of your life kowtowing, checking in with immigration like a criminal on parole, hoping they don’t change the visa requirements on you, and risking what’s left of your life every time you go onto the roads.

Thailand doesn’t care ..end of story. Just bring money and spend it . These days , and I am not coming back... I spend time telling the shop assistants how much cheaper the same product is in Ireland and add that the equivalent of 7/11 in Ireland will pay 400/500 baht AN HOUR...not a day... so how come ... yeah I know about taxes , but things are getting seriously overpriced except Soi cart food from the lady at the corner . 

37 minutes ago, dcnx said:

I love how writers armchair retirement locations. Thailand is a terrible place to retire unless you want to spend the rest of your life kowtowing, checking in with immigration like a criminal on parole, hoping they don’t change the visa requirements on you, and risking what’s left of your life every time you go onto the roads.

32 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

Thailand doesn’t care ..end of story. Just bring money and spend it . These days , and I am not coming back... I spend time telling the shop assistants how much cheaper the same product is in Ireland and add that the equivalent of 7/11 in Ireland will pay 400/500 baht AN HOUR...not a day... so how come ... yeah I know about taxes , but things are getting seriously overpriced except Soi cart food from the lady at the corner . 

Finally, 2 unique and extremely intelligent people that see that dam light and are NOT afraid to say it, call it like it is.  Cheers!!!  Never be blinded by fantasy and wishful thinking.

Archived