Hua Hin and Chiang Mai among the 10 Best Places to Retire in Asia

webfact

The UK pays a gross contribution to the EU.

They get back:

a) the "my money back of Thatcher ( my opinion: they had to kick out the UK then already.

b) A lot of activities doen on EU level. As "supermarket man", I know the investigations by EFSA, the alert system under RASFF, the CE mark for toys, sports + electrical devices , the Eur Mecicine Agency ( going to Amsterdam) and a lot more

c)   Public and private sector organisations in the UK receive funding from the EU through various channels – the UK received a total of €6.3 billion (about £5.5 billion) in 2017. The majority of EU funding is administered in partnership with national and regional authorities in Member States, though a share of it is directly administered by the European Commission. Completely skipped in all comments.

47a02919-2e71-4a02-9831-4dbe4c2db176.png

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/29/2019 at 6:18 AM, Lungstib said:

It would be interesting to hear from all the retirees in Hua Hin and Chiang Mai to find out how many have been questioned by US News and World Report. Did they ask people already here or residents in the US with ideas of retiring abroad? The reality is often much harsher than the dream. 

They reviewed youtube bloggers video's????

14 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

I know of at least 2 residents of Chiang Mai who are returning home as a result of pollution. One is a working Osteopath and Chiropractor. Skills badly needed in Thailand. The government do nothing. Japan does not have this problem. Why not look to their solution. 

Have to get the Japanese driving sorted out first in Thailand. I'm sure its almost solved. Can expect safe roads anytime now.

On 5/29/2019 at 4:19 PM, jaltsc said:

“The biggest downside can be air pollution during the annual burning season, mid-February through mid-April.."

No biggy there to be concerned about..."Other than that Mrs. Kennedy, how did you enjoy your stay in Dallas."

I suppose it would be just as funny if someone made light concerning the murder of one of your family. A pathetic post and I never read replies.

On 5/29/2019 at 4:07 PM, ThaiPauly said:

If I had my time over I would NOT have chosen to retire to Chiang Mai.

The weather is polluted all year round let alone from FEBRUARY-MAY this year.

Lots of hospitals for sure , you will need them if you retire to Chiang Mai especially if you suffer from Astma or any breathing related problems

Stay away and take up smoking, you will probably be healthier than me!!

Hogwash. Chiang Mai is not polluted all year round. It is safe to say that from the 3rd week in May through to Feb. the air quality is good and the AQI is 38 at this very moment.

17 hours ago, dcnx said:

I love how writers armchair retirement locations. Thailand is a terrible place to retire unless you want to spend the rest of your life kowtowing, checking in with immigration like a criminal on parole, hoping they don’t change the visa requirements on you, and risking what’s left of your life every time you go onto the roads.

I agree 100%

... and its worse than that ..... if we think about how easily they can/change/implement/reimplement/assess/re-assess meanings of immigration rules at the local level as well as national then one must consider they can do that with any law/rule on any matter. Condo ownership, funds repatriation, banking, asset ownership (i.e car), legal representation, taxation, fines, etc etc. ALL can be changed or re-interpreted at a whim. This is not a country with a legal framework or history of being a suitable location for retirement investment if one thinks with one's head rather then one's heart.

After over 20 years here, which I have enjoyed immensely, I am now old and thinking of how do my family overseas get my property, my money, etc safely when I keel over and die. I read one report of it taking 5 years for one retirees family to get legal ownership of a condo and bank account access owned by a single foreigner with no local claims against her. At great expense to the family in lawyer's fees.

These things are important

11 hours ago, strabel23 said:

Hogwash. Chiang Mai is not polluted all year round. It is safe to say that from the 3rd week in May through to Feb. the air quality is good and the AQI is 38 at this very moment.

It was horribly polluted from early February until last week.

That's nearly four months of unbreathable air.

20 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I agree 100%

... and its worse than that ..... if we think about how easily they can/change/implement/reimplement/assess/re-assess meanings of immigration rules at the local level as well as national then one must consider they can do that with any law/rule on any matter. Condo ownership, funds repatriation, banking, asset ownership (i.e car), legal representation, taxation, fines, etc etc. ALL can be changed or re-interpreted at a whim. This is not a country with a legal framework or history of being a suitable location for retirement investment if one thinks with one's head rather then one's heart.

After over 20 years here, which I have enjoyed immensely, I am now old and thinking of how do my family overseas get my property, my money, etc safely when I keel over and die. I read one report of it taking 5 years for one retirees family to get legal ownership of a condo and bank account access owned by a single foreigner with no local claims against her. At great expense to the family in lawyer's fees.

These things are important

Why don't you transfer ownership of the condo while you're alive and add a relative as a signatory to your account, assuming you trust them. 

3 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Why don't you transfer ownership of the condo while you're alive and add a relative as a signatory to your account, assuming you trust them. 

I have actaully decided to sell it and move on. I have just grown tired of work arounds in Thailand. Time for some legal stability in my life. Gonna miss the food though.

1 hour ago, MRToMRT said:

I have actaully decided to sell it and move on. I have just grown tired of work arounds in Thailand. Time for some legal stability in my life. Gonna miss the food though.

Best Thai food I've ever had is in Singapore (Aroy Dee, Middle Road, used to live in the Condo opposite) 2nd best is in London (Canary Wharf) so don't worry too much about missing the food... 

Where are you thinking of moving to? 

8 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Lisbon. Good visa arrangement, hospitals, weather OK and the main thing for me ..... 10 years tax free.

Snap... ????  Although I've been thinking more Faro... Either way Portugal looks like an awesome place to relocate to & as a Brit, a good way to ensure ongoing EU residency privileges after Brexit... 

Guest Jerry787

what a sad joke....

hua hin one of the worst polluted sea, and when got some better water they are fully of dangerous jelly fish

chiang mai, during the season you inhale so much smoke as if you smoke 5 pack of fags per day in the next 3 years.

• 1 month later...

There is alot of pollution in both CM and HH. I like CM, but cannot imagine living there. Ten or fifteen years ago it was pleasant. It has developed too quickly, and as usual, the authorities do not engage in any sort of traffic mitigation, or planning for the increase in population. And the air quality seems to be getting worse every year. Likewise, the army is doing less than zero about it. 

I like visiting HH. But, not appealing enough to live in, for me anyway. 

Archived