Hua Hin and Chiang Mai among the 10 Best Places to Retire in Asia

webfact

HCM.jpg

Hua Hin and Chiang Mai have are two of the best retirement destinations Asia, according to a new article by news and information site U.S. News & World Report.

The popular Thai destinations were included The 10 Best Places to Retire in Asia published earlier this month.

In its report, the site considered factors such as cost of living, weather and medical care, all of which were favourable in both Hua Hin and Chiang Mai.

“Since the 1800s, the Thai city of Chiang Mai has been luring expats from the west with its low cost of living, great weather, rich history and distinct culture,” the site said.

It added that Chiang Mai offers a mix of traditional Thailand alongside “mega malls, multinational grocery and department stores and other trappings of 21st century living”.

“The biggest advantage of retirement in Chiang Mai is the low cost of living and affordable health care.

“A couple can live here comfortably on as little as $1,200 per month, and you can see an English-speaking doctor for $20.

“The biggest downside can be air pollution during the annual burning season, mid-February through mid-April, when local farmers burn their fields”.

Of Hua Hin, the site said the popular coastal resort town “has good year-round weather and a large foreign community”.

“A retiree can afford a high standard of living, including days on the city's golf courses and regular dinners out at first-class restaurants, on a modest budget.   

“The standard of local medical care is good, and you're less than three hours from Bangkok, which boasts some of the region's top hospitals.

“Housing options include modern condos, beachfront homes and modern gated communities.

“The big foreign community connects through reading clubs, festivals, cycling clubs, soccer leagues, wine tastings and darts tournaments”.

Other destinations featured in the list included, George Town in Malaysia, Bali in Indonesia and Da Nang in Vietnam.

The site described George Town as "one of Southeast Asia's most livable destinations".

The best places to retire in Asia include:

• George Town, Malaysia
  • Bali, Indonesia
  • Da Nang, Vietnam
  • Udagamandalam, India
  • Chiang Mai, Thailand
  • Kota Kinabalu, Malaysian Borneo
  • Da Lat, Vietnam
  • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  • Hua Hin, Thailand
  • Taipei, Taiwan

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-29

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had my time over I would NOT have chosen to retire to Chiang Mai.

The weather is polluted all year round let alone from FEBRUARY-MAY this year.

Lots of hospitals for sure , you will need them if you retire to Chiang Mai especially if you suffer from Astma or any breathing related problems

Stay away and take up smoking, you will probably be healthier than me!!

HCM.jpg.c104347165a1cad2eca1761c51dc5cc9.jpg

Hua Hin and Chiang Mai have are two of the best retirement destinations Asia, according to a new article by news and information site U.S. News & World Report.

The popular Thai destinations were included The 10 Best Places to Retire in Asia published earlier this month.

In its report, the site considered factors such as cost of living, weather and medical care, all of which were favourable in both Hua Hin and Chiang Mai.

“Since the 1800s, the Thai city of Chiang Mai has been luring expats from the west with its low cost of living, great weather, rich history and distinct culture,” the site said.

It added that Chiang Mai offers a mix of traditional Thailand alongside “mega malls, multinational grocery and department stores and other trappings of 21st century living”.

“The biggest advantage of retirement in Chiang Mai is the low cost of living and affordable health care.

“A couple can live here comfortably on as little as $1,200 per month, and you can see an English-speaking doctor for $20.

“The biggest downside can be air pollution during the annual burning season, mid-February through mid-April, when local farmers burn their fields”.

Of Hua Hin, the site said the popular coastal resort town “has good year-round weather and a large foreign community”.

“A retiree can afford a high standard of living, including days on the city's golf courses and regular dinners out at first-class restaurants, on a modest budget.   

“The standard of local medical care is good, and you're less than three hours from Bangkok, which boasts some of the region's top hospitals.

“Housing options include modern condos, beachfront homes and modern gated communities.

“The big foreign community connects through reading clubs, festivals, cycling clubs, soccer leagues, wine tastings and darts tournaments”.

Other destinations featured in the list included, George Town in Malaysia, Bali in Indonesia and Da Nang in Vietnam.

The site described George Town as "one of Southeast Asia's most livable destinations".

The best places to retire in Asia include:

• George Town, Malaysia
  • Bali, Indonesia
  • Da Nang, Vietnam
  • Udagamandalam, India
  • Chiang Mai, Thailand
  • Kota Kinabalu, Malaysian Borneo
  • Da Lat, Vietnam
  • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  • Hua Hin, Thailand
  • Taipei, Taiwan

thai%2Bvisa_news.jpg&key=07605ee8009e033e42aebb80e2dcd682bb500b914912a36112e686ab3ed5fbdc
-- [emoji2398] Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-29 Follow Thaivisa on LINE for breaking Thailand news and visa info
Ironically they mention that the weather and medical care in Chiang Mai was one of the reasons for the top ranking. Well, with a air quality that makes you sick you need a good medical care indeed

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

The biggest downside can be air pollution during the

The biggest downside is air pollution!!!

I lived in Hua-hin and visited Chiang mai many times,i really like the north but the air quality during the summer is a dealbreaker for me.

Also not living in HH anymore,traded up and now live near Cha-am,much nicer here.(for me anyway)

“The biggest downside can be air pollution during the annual burning season, mid-February through mid-April.."

No biggy there to be concerned about..."Other than that Mrs. Kennedy, how did you enjoy your stay in Dallas."

I love so many things about Chiang Mai but there is absolutely no way that anyone with options should stay there between mid-January and mid-May. I usually get out as soon as the flight prices lower after New Year's Day, usually about a week or two into January. I always notice the air quality already beginning to deteriorate before I go.

Regardless of how people with vested interests try to minimize the problem, no matter what the government says it is going to do (there is nothing they can do), there is no sane reason for anyone to expose themselves to conditions that we are now learning have a profound impact not only on your lungs but, also, on your cardiac and pulmonary health.

By all means, visit Chiang Mai during the peak season of Sep-Oct-Nov-Dec, it's lovely, but don't even think about living there year-round unless you genuinely have no other options.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Don't mention the four months of severe smog we've just had.

Smog hasn't quite ended yet and it's nearly June.

It would be interesting to hear from all the retirees in Hua Hin and Chiang Mai to find out how many have been questioned by US News and World Report. Did they ask people already here or residents in the US with ideas of retiring abroad? The reality is often much harsher than the dream. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A couple can live here comfortably on as little as $1,200 per month, and you can see an English-speaking doctor for $20.

The Thai government has made it clear that it does not want these types living here long term... :coffee1:

3 hours ago, APJ291 said:

Why would people put 800k in the bank to live and retire in a smog infested pollution zone like Chang Mai now..

Come kitty, kitty, kitty.....

Haha, who compiles this list a 1-sided optimist ?

We all know CMs numerable downsides as realists....covered multiple times, it's the trade-off made for the positives.

Here is a downside of Da Nang, Vietnam rolling in at NUMBER THREE ...agent orange number 1 saturation area during Vietnam War....some fresh fruit and veg anyone ?

The coastal areas of Thailand are disgusting the oceans are sewage ponds would never put a toe into the waters and air in Thailand is toxic.  Thais have absolutely flushed their beautiful country down the sewer.

I do like Georgetown and Bali (the top 2) but it is easy to find fault with those places as well. It is all a trade-off. Find a place that has more positive than negative (for you).

The dumbest thing I have ever heard. Chiang Mai air is worse than chain smoking, Hua Hin has better air, but nothing else:) And then we have the retirement immigration circus. Whoever wrote that shit should be committed.

Archived