BANGKOK

In Malaysia you won't be scammed by tuk tuk drivers

the taxi driver will put the meter on.

motorbikes won't go on the footpath.

if you are in trouble the police will investigate.

department store staff won't follow you around the store.

brakes won't fail at every car accident.

IO won't harass you.

airport immigration will smile when you enter.

geeeze  …..   how boring   !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

geeeze  …..   how boring   !!

Spend a few months there - it is a pretty boring place.

2 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Spend a few months there - it is a pretty boring place.

been there many times …. the only good area is Butik Bitang where the expat bars are.

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

been there many times …. the only good area is Butik Bitang where the expat bars are.

There's that bar in Bukit Bintang which serves pints of imported German beer for about 80 Ringgit a pop. Great beer but after a few I'm bankrupted.

Edit 80 MYR = 583 baht.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 3:01 PM, scorecard said:

Keep in mind that Malaysia is quite complex in terms of it's own internal cultural mix: Malays, Chines, Indians and Sri lankans (they are all Malaysian citizens, many have been in Malaysia forevr / multiple generations. 

A very large % of the population speak the Bahasa Malaysia language regardless of their heredity, many also speak Tamil, many also speak 1 or several Chinese dialects, many speak English. 

Islam is the dominant religion (quite a few very serious) also quite a few Christians (almost can be quite serious), and a few buddhists, hindus etc. People are very clean, pleasant, helpful and courteous, cleaner than Thais in terms of the environment.

I had a country office in KL, worked with the locals / guided the locals many times in large consulting projects. All local staff were Malaysian (not foreigners, not needed), locals all well educated, all very capable, self-starters, good team players / very cooperative and always very respectful but no hesitation to politely discuss options etc., developed good value client solutions, excellent at delivery to the various mid size to mostly large size clients.  

The most recent gov't making some good progress on fighting corruption etc. There's quite a bit of ongoing infrastructure development. 

Agree, daily life is mostly as it was decades ago, great food options, for me especially in the Nth of Malaysia in and around Penang. 

Just my opinion, others may have a different view, their right of course, personally not on my agenda to live there but horses for courses.  

There is also decent nightlife in KL I believe. 

3 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

There is also decent nightlife in KL I believe. 

There is nightlife in KL. I wouldn't say decent though.

5 minutes ago, SteveK said:

There is nightlife in KL. I wouldn't say decent though.

oh well, there was always the Petaling markets by day, that  darkly transformed into a sort of version of a Walking Street! 

only productive nightlife, was to drive the over an hour up the Genting Highlands, and lose all your remaining Ringgits... 

• Haha 1

I quite enjoyed my time up in Genting, didn't win anything though and it was actually pretty filthy.

Well, I guess I have to see it myself, 4 pages didn't clear anything for me.

Internet gives pretty  good impression about everything. 

• Like 1

The only way to find out is go see for yourself.

Personally, I like Malaysia. I worked there for three years in the 90s and have been a regular visitor ever since; I have some good friends there.

• Like 1

Penang is nice
Good food also

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 6:31 AM, olfu said:

Well, I guess I have to see it myself, 4 pages didn't clear anything for me.

Internet gives pretty  good impression about everything. 

I thought the 4 pages made it pretty clear.

Malaysia's can be a good place if you like a quiet, "live-let live" existence with some decent cultural distractions, diverse food and less bureaucratic red tape. 

Not the place for those who's social life revolves around beer bars/pubs, partying and a variety of available women.  Also not for those who's prejudices do not allow for any appreciation of diverse cultures.

It's telling that Malaysians flock to Thailand on weekends/holidays to party, then return to Malaysia to live their normal lives.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1