Just crossed the Lao -Thai border at Mukdahan, need to go to do TM30?

12 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

And why are you bothering with the extension, money in the bank account route? its much easier and less hassle to just cross a border every 90 days or less. No money in a bank account and less paper work hassle etc.

Well I for one would find having to go somewhere every 90 days to be more of a hassle than the renewal and reporting. Sigh, was a time I would have been the reverse but age gets to you.

Both the 90 day and retirement renewal I find to be very easy, even at the busiest of offices.

If you could keep the 800k out and make, say 5% on it in the year, that would be about $1250. Three trips abroad would cost that much (real trips, not over the border at Pakkad for 2 hours) so not convinced the trips over banking is even cost effective, never mind the hassle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kuma said:

Well I for one would find having to go somewhere every 90 days to be more of a hassle than the renewal and reporting. Sigh, was a time I would have been the reverse but age gets to you.

Both the 90 day and retirement renewal I find to be very easy, even at the busiest of offices.

If you could keep the 800k out and make, say 5% on it in the year, that would be about $1250. Three trips abroad would cost that much (real trips, not over the border at Pakkad for 2 hours) so not convinced the trips over banking is even cost effective, never mind the hassle.

800.000 you mean 400,000 ? 5% a year? Where ? I am just talking about simple border runs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

800.000 you mean 400,000 ? 5% a year? Where ? I am just talking about simple border runs.

well 800,000 for first 90 days then 400,000 for next 210 days, then 800,000 for 60 days and repeat each year.

Yes sure over to Pailin or Savannakhet etc is different than two ppl going to PP, Saigon, Tokyo, Seoul, etc etc - that's the types of things that will get me up to travel, not the border posts - but hats off to those who enjoy it. Like I said in the past I did.

1 minute ago, kuma said:

well 800,000 for first 90 days then 400,000 for next 210 days, then 800,000 for 60 days and repeat each year.

Yes sure over to Pailin or Savannakhet etc is different than two ppl going to PP, Saigon, Tokyo, Seoul, etc etc - that's the types of things that will get me up to travel, not the border posts - but hats off to those who enjoy it. Like I said in the past I did.

Just sounds like much more hassle than its worth.

1 hour ago, kuma said:

Well I for one would find having to go somewhere every 90 days to be more of a hassle than the renewal and reporting.....NOT If you were like Me Living 10 Minutes from the Laos Border at Nong Khai......EASILY Done in LESS than an hour !!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JASON THAI said:

You do not have to leave every 90 days go to your local IO & get an 60 days extension for 1900 Baht based on seeing your wife /child then after that you will need to go over the boarder so its every 150 days you leave Thailand & if done right you can use that same visa for nearly 17 months with 3 boarder runs 

Non- Imm "O" (single entry) can be extended for 60 days at IO, then should cross the border and do another Visa, right?  

21 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Non- Imm "O" (single entry) can be extended for 60 days at IO, then should cross the border and do another Visa, right?  

He is writing about a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He is writing about a multiple entry non-o visa that allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

Yes, I understood he is writing about the multiple entry non-o visa.

But the single entry can be extended for more 60 days paying 1900 baht at IO?

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

Yes, I understood he is writing about the multiple entry non-o visa.

Yes, but beware they could get you at that point for not doing a TM30 and hit you up for another 1600 Baht making a grand total of 3500 Baht. It is all in the lap of the Gods.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Well I for one would find having to go somewhere every 90 days to be more of a hassle than the renewal and reporting.....NOT If you were like Me Living 10 Minutes from the Laos Border at Nong Khai......EASILY Done in LESS than an hour !!

Agree, and I am just one hour (bit more of a drive) to Ban Pakkad and can do same. But to me this part of the thread started with "just go for a trip every 90 days" - and my definition (for better or worse) is a proper trip, I dont consider buying a visa (if required, for me it is) to step across the border for two hours and get a stamp a "trip" - that is like an errand. Although I will say a day over the border (or longer) at Vientiane to hang out is a lot more appealing than a short hop at the borders near me in Chan/Trat. They have nothing of interest really, and the Cambo border guards make it worse by holding out for a tip to process your passport, as well as non stop touts hitting you up for everything once you cross - all very annoying to me. But part of the joy of the world is to each his own - apparently not actually the case anymore in the "land of the free" and its hangers on (5 eyes), now its more "to each what we tell you it will be"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at a immigration office during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

No need to leave the country after you get the extension unless you want to.

• Like 1

See,    This is exactly my situation (above)  but The amphoe office will not accept my affidavit (thai consulate stamped and translated) attesting to my marriage, and the Embassy will not authenticate my marriage certificate.   

Edited by samuttodd

18 hours ago, Denim said:

Look at it this way. If everybody doing extensions read your post and took your advice , how happy would you be if next time you did a visa run there were 5 times the crowds and all the hotels were booked solid. 

. Better just to make extensions at your local office and have 800,000 in a Thai bank account. Besides its such a hassle doing otherwise all that traveling.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

And why are you bothering with the extension, money in the bank account route? its much easier and less hassle to just cross a border every 90 days or less. No money in a bank account and less paper work hassle etc.

Indeed. I'm lucky in that I live less than two hours from the border, so I went across on Wednesday, sat down for a nice cold can of Beer Lao bought at a small stand there, and caught the next bus back over the bridge. Totally pointless to us, but it is meant to show that they are in control and that's the only point they need.

The next 90-day exit. I'm off to Singapore for a couple of days. Interesting place to wander around, and no visa (and using up a page of your passport) too.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at a immigration office during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

I will accept a loan from you ????

joking. Anyway, I just done the TM.30, arrived at Chaeng Wattana at 2 o'clock, wait in queue just 25 minutes. 

Edited by zhounan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

UJ, see you reference proof of 40k THB/month. I thought that option was dead and buried - can you still show such and avoid the 400K THB requirement?

Cheers

19 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Can you do a land entry multiple times? I thought it had to be a flight. Also, only get 1 month for entering by land. Three months by air.

Edited by revup
Added detail

20 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

How is going 4 times in one year to another country easier and less hassle than dealing once with an extension? Lots of people including me would claim it is not.

The answer depends on how close you live to a border, to an immigration office, and how much you fancy travelling across borders for a stamp.

Different people, different financial situations, let them choose.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, kuma said:

UJ, see you reference proof of 40k THB/month. I thought that option was dead and buried - can you still show such and avoid the 400K THB requirement?

Not sure where you heard it no longer existed.

It is certainly still allowed. No need for 400k baht in the bank.

How is going 4 times in one year to another country easier and less hassle than dealing once with an extension? Lots of people including me would claim it is not.
The answer depends on how close you live to a border, to an immigration office, and how much you fancy travelling across borders for a stamp.
Different people, different financial situations, let them choose.

If you love to make a monkey out of you - do it.
Going to the airport and flying out the country for some holiday - easy

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That depends upon if you plan on doing something at a immigration and the office you would do it at.

when doing extension, does immigration office see that someone just crossed border ?

21 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Well perhaps it depends on where you live?

I'm 40 minutes drive from Mai Sai - so it's easy, drive up, stroll across the bridge, cup of decent tea and a bottle of duty free Burmese gin ( bit of an after taste reminiscent of old pick up tyres smouldering but jolly cheap) and back home.

But if you lived in, say, Phitsanulok, then it would be much more inconvenient.

And yes, I would do a TM 30.

Immigration  have got quite keen on them lately. 

Edited by JAG