Just crossed the Lao -Thai border at Mukdahan, need to go to do TM30?

1 hour ago, revup said:

Can you do a land entry multiple times? I thought it had to be a flight. Also, only get 1 month for entering by land. Three months by air.

Yep,Can do a LAND Entry Every time on a Multi Non-Imm " O " And you get 90 Days Permission to stay on Every Entry by Land as long as you're visa is Valid,Even on the LAST Day of Validity You Still get the 90 Days,So you can stretch the Visa out to 15 Months !!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

How is going 4 times in one year to another country easier and less hassle than dealing once with an extension? Lots of people including me would claim it is not.

The answer depends on how close you live to a border, to an immigration office, and how much you fancy travelling across borders for a stamp.

Different people, different financial situations, let them choose.

I would get bored if I traveled less than 4 times a year to another country. Furthermore, the 90 days can easily be extended to 150 days if necessary. I have the money to do an extension but for now I prefer to travel anyway.  No 90 days report, no re-entry permit and no loss on my investment. It might change when I get old. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

. Better just to make extensions at your local office and have 800,000 in a Thai bank account. Besides its such a hassle doing otherwise all that traveling.

Better yet , marry a senior immigration officers daughter.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure where you heard it no longer existed.

It is certainly still allowed. No need for 400k baht in the bank.

I recall reading that this was no longer allowed but my primary source is a good friend, bkk based, married and living here the past 15+ years.

Every year until 2019, he showed proof of every year since arriving - but this year they told him that would no longer be permitted and he would have to deposit THB in the bank as per the new rules. This would have been at CW in bkk, where he has gone since moving to Thailand.

So as always could be a case where the rules are being subjectively applied...imagine lol

On 5/29/2019 at 3:56 PM, Denim said:

Look at it this way. If everybody doing extensions read your post and took your advice , how happy would you be if next time you did a visa run there were 5 times the crowds and all the hotels were booked solid. 

And immigration would start clamping down on those using visas to extend their stays!

10 hours ago, kuma said:

I recall reading that this was no longer allowed but my primary source is a good friend, bkk based, married and living here the past 15+ years.

Every year until 2019, he showed proof of every year since arriving - but this year they told him that would no longer be permitted and he would have to deposit THB in the bank as per the new rules. This would have been at CW in bkk, where he has gone since moving to Thailand.

So as always could be a case where the rules are being subjectively applied...imagine lol

It certainly is still allowed. There have been recent reports of people getting the extension using income.

I suspect there are other reasons for his application being refused. If he had been using a income letter from his embassy and was unable to get one that could be the problem if he could not show some transfers of 40k baht into a Thai bank. Without acceptable proof of income he would be told his only option is to show 400k baht in the bank.

CW immigration does vary from the written rules.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

And immigration would start clamping down on those using visas to extend their stays!

I think most of us know that this is going to happen at sometime in the not too distant future. The devil will be in the details whatever they may be. It will certainly be a blow to a lot of people.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 7:44 PM, Briggsy said:

If you're planning to do the extension on this entry, I would definitely do a TM30 now. Might well save yourself a 1600 Baht fine later.

I never did the TM30, when i did my extension 60 days never any issue maybe i was just lucky

47 minutes ago, kralledr said:

I never did the TM30, when i did my extension 60 days never any issue maybe i was just lucky

It is all hit and miss. Enforcement is inconsistent from office to office, from week to week, from "retirement desk" to "marriage desk" and even from one applicant to the next. That is why including the location of the immigration office and when the extension was done is helpful in these reports.

My last extension (a tourist visa not as for the OP) was at Jomtien and TM30's were necessary prior to any extension.

On 5/29/2019 at 3:56 PM, Denim said:

Look at it this way. If everybody doing extensions read your post and took your advice , how happy would you be if next time you did a visa run there were 5 times the crowds and all the hotels were booked solid. 

Just more people to ignore ????????????????????

4 hours ago, wobalt said:

No, for non immigrate visa holders that will not happen

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It absolutely will happen if too many start switching from extensions of stay.

Under the visa/permit system you are supposed to apply to extend your stay at immigration; not do border hops with a non-‘O’ visa.

Immigration clamp down on every misuse of visas whenever the numbers get too high. The same will apply to ME non ‘O’ visa holders living in the country IF the numbers get too high. It’s an ENTRY visa meant for those living abroad that want to visit frequently; not an official option to avoid immigration. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

If you have a new arrival card number, then best to do the TM30.

Yes I've done yesterday. My problem is not to do or not to do, but is terribly stressing because I live in Bangkapi district, and every time I go there is around 2 hours on the road and 500 baht for the taxi driver. All of these waste of time and money for a Sign that could be do by a simple Police Station near home.

Under the visa/permit system you are supposed to apply to extend your stay at immigration; not do bohops with a non-‘O’ visa.
  am
Immigration clamp down on every misuse of visas whenever the numbers get too high. The same will apply to ME non ‘O’ visa holders living in the country IF the numbers get too high. It’s an ENTRY visa meant for those living abroad that want to visit frequently; not an official option to avoid immigration. 

I am using Thailand as a hub for my work in the region as consultant for UN and developing agencies Leaving Thailand every week. Thailand invited me as well as a expert to help them on their policies

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Under the visa/permit system you are supposed to apply to extend your stay at immigration; not do bohops with a non-‘O’ visa.
  am

I am using Thailand as a hub for my work in the region as consultant for UN and developing agencies Leaving Thailand every week. Thailand invited me as well as a expert to help them on their policies

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, wobalt said:

What misuse? I have to leave every 90 days.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Thaivisa Connect

The living in the country in-between the exits is the misuse. It's no different to a tourist using back to back tourist visas to live in the country.

The system is very clear. ME (90 day) visas are for those living outside of the country that want to visit frequently. Permits extending a stay are for those wanting to stay in the country longer than 90 days. Its a multiple ENTRY visa, not a multiple EXIT visa.

As usual people will take tolerance of the historical use of visas as their 'evidence' that how they use a visa is 'okay'. For now it is, but things will quickly change if expats start using ME visas in significant numbers. The first change will probably be stopping Savannakhet issuing visas without financials. Dodging the financials is the number one reason people use ME visas and do border runs.

11 minutes ago, wobalt said:

And?

On 5/30/2019 at 3:20 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at a immigration office during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.

You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

No need to leave the country after you get the extension unless you want to.

Update for everyone on the 800/400k requirement.

I just went today for my first 90 Day on this visa extension. I was at the Jomtien IO. 

When I did my visa renewal in March, they gave me a one pager explaining that at my first 90 Day I would need to bring an updated bank book showing a balance over 800k. 

I handed over my passport today, to a lovely immigration woman the girl says we see many times, I never recall. 

We chatted a bit, she took my passport, did not check my visa, did not ring me up on the computer, did not ask for a bank book...just stapled in the next reporting page and we were off in under two minutes.

I am sure the fact she is familiar with us was a factor, but there was no mention of the bankbook at all.

Perfect.

2 hours ago, wobalt said:

I am using Thailand as a hub for my work in the region as consultant for UN and developing agencies Leaving Thailand every week. Thailand invited me as well as a expert to help them on their policies.

Thailand are considering UN? I never imagined.