Get Ready! Bangkok set to have 30 "red light" intersection cameras by July, traffic police

webfact

Get Ready! Bangkok set to have 30 "red light" intersection cameras by July, traffic police

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A leading Bangkok traffic policeman has revealed that 30 major intersections would be fitted with cameras to fine people going through red lights. 

Testing of the systems is likely to take place through next month with the cameras operational in July. 

Motorists who transgress will receive fines through the post. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Pol Col Kitti Ariyanon, a deputy at the traffic police, was responding to online suggestions that the capital was already awash with dozens of cameras. 

He said the truth was that there were 15 in operation since May 9th last year to stop lane changing.

It was reported last year that these have resulted in more than 100,000 fines being sent out netting millions for public coffers. 

The list of the new red light camera intersections and areas is below:

1. Urapong

2. Mengjai

3. Prachanukun

4. Pradiphat

5. Rom Klao

6. Ratchada/Lat Prao

7. Choke Chai

8. Nida

9. Bang Phra

10. Henri Dunant

11. Pho Kaew

12. Klong Tan

13. Pattanakarn Park Sri Nakharin Road

14. Sulakakorn

15. Withayu (Wireless) /Ploenchit

16. Asoke/Sukhumvit

17. Ratchada/Rama IV

18. Asoke/Petchaburi

19. Pathumwan

20. Narinthorn

21. Sathorn

22. Sanghee

23.Phayathai

24. Sri Nakharin Pattanakarn cut

25. Samsalee area

26. Tha Phra

27. Bang Phlat

28. Taksin

29. Prawet

30. Ban Khaek. 

Pol Col Kitti said that further information about the operation of the cameras would be given nearer the time of their deployment.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-30

3 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Looking at the picture, is that motorbike getting fined for going through red light?

I think the implication is that the bike should stay left. but looking at the photo, the only wrong thing I see is the two taxi's parked on the side of a main road... no one else seems to be breaking a traffic law, although the car in the middle looks as if it is about to cross the fixed white line. 

6 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Looking at the picture, is that motorbike getting fined for going through red light?

What red light??

The one he ran 3 blocks back

Seems a strange place for anything but a speed camera

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think the implication is that the bike should stay left. but looking at the photo, the only wrong thing I see is the two taxi's parked on the side of a main road... no one else seems to be breaking a traffic law, although the car in the middle looks as if it is about to cross the fixed white line. 

The top picture has to be something about crossing a fixed line, they do have cameras there as well. But the article is all about red light cameras, a bit confusing...?

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

A leading Bangkok traffic policeman has revealed that 30 major intersections would be fitted with cameras to fine people going through red lights. 

Isn't that a misprit?

I always thought it seemed to be: it was fine with people going through red lights.

How is it any different than the millions of unpaid fines sitting in some archives gathering dust ? (over the years, yours truly has a couple somewhere) how an infringement notice with a picture of your car will compel people that didn't bother to pay will pay now...

I totally went "Wait, there are 30 red light districts? I only know 3!"

Most of the red light offenders are motorcyclists, at least during the day, since driving through a red light in a car in Bangkok during peak hour traffic is quite impossible. I've seen a number of near misses at one of the junctions. As a motorcyclist myself, I try keep myself from being a statistic. 

How do they monitor the busy intersections where the jokers play with traffic light switches, during rush hour they turn red without any notice and cars stuck middle because of traffic. Or this applies only for motorbikes?

The image in the OP is from one of the lane-change cameras not a red-light camera.

Watch for these, they look just like regular CCTV cameras but dole out 1k Baht fines. Trust me, I know.

Red-light cameras, excellent idea, assuming the perpetrators actually pay the fine.

In note Nana is not on the list........mind you, they don't need a camera there because there is a police box on the junction and the policeman always keeps those pesky taxi drivers on the North side in line ......................doesn't he.......not!

Recent conversation between wife and friend:-

Friend calls wife and says '' i just got a picture of my car going through red light and fine for 500 Baht...what am i supposed to do with it ? ''  Wife says  ''You have to pay the fine''.  Friend says ''Why ?''.   Wife says '' Because you broke the law by going through a red light ''.  Friend says '' Yes, but i don't understand about lights so why i have to pay fine ?''  Wife (getting fed up with conversation) says  ''If you don't want to pay fines then stop going through red lights or stop driving altogether ''.  Friend says ''Maybe i just don't pay ''.   Wife says ''Up to you'' and closes phone.

Just one example of local mentality, so if they want to collect all the fines they will have to get a lot tougher than they do now.

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

How is it any different than the millions of unpaid fines sitting in some archives gathering dust ? (over the years, yours truly has a couple somewhere) how an infringement notice with a picture of your car will compel people that didn't bother to pay will pay now...

Its been mentioned on another news thread that no pay fine no rego renewal for car 

14 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Yes, but i don't understand about lights

Green go, red stop.

How can anybody say they don't understand traffic lights with a straight face ? It just make them blind or the stupidest person around.

Archived