U.K. passport renewal

Mahseer

VFS Global are terrible if you don't get lucky with their usually broken website, zero customer support, thousands and thousands of terrible reviews online. Really ruined our plans to visit the UK with a UK visit visa for my wife. But I need a new UK passport. They charge £55 and say it takes 4 weeks. AssistThaiVisa charge 5,500 Baht (currently £138) and it takes up to 6 weeks. 

Anyone renewed a passport with VFS since they started doing it in Chiang Mai? Any advice or experiences shared would be much appreciated as I am nervous about using them again and would rather use a reputable local company. But VFS are well under half the price and faster as official agents, so it is tempting.

Edited by mat999

27 minutes ago, mat999 said:

VFS Global are terrible if you don't get lucky with their usually broken website, zero customer support, thousands and thousands of terrible reviews online. Really ruined our plans to visit the UK with a UK visit visa for my wife. But I need a new UK passport. They charge £55 and say it takes 4 weeks. AssistThaiVisa charge 5,500 Baht (currently £138) and it takes up to 6 weeks. 

Anyone renewed a passport with VFS since they started doing it in Chiang Mai? Any advice or experiences shared would be much appreciated as I am nervous about using them again and would rather use a reputable local company. But VFS are well under half the price and faster as official agents, so it is tempting.

What problem did you have with VFS ?

Its the UK passport office that charges money for the new passport and they are responsible for how long it takes to issue it .

Edited by sanemax
  • Like 1

We have used VFS twice for uk visas and honestly it was a doddle and very well organised with appointment times.

However the application form is a three day challenge even for uk citizens let alone foreign nationals.

The passport service represents excellent value for the bumper passport and i think if you need to travel in the interim they organise emergency passport for you.

3 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

i think if you need to travel in the interim they organise emergency passport for you.

You're implying you have to surrender your present passport when applying for new. Is that correct?

Logic says the present passport remains valid until new received at which time 'old' is cancelled but we are dealing with U.K. government here.

1 hour ago, Mahseer said:

You're implying you have to surrender your present passport when applying for new. Is that correct?

Logic says the present passport remains valid until new received at which time 'old' is cancelled but we are dealing with U.K. government here.

No, even when you apply for a new passport at home you have to post your old one off, which they stamp as cancelled on every page and i think they cut the corner off....then send it back to you.

Extra security and evidence you are genuine i suppose.

Your new passport becomes valid with an extra 6 months at least in most cases., so your issue month will necer be the same as exp month

I renewed my passport 18 months ago and had to provide a colour copy of every page (including unused). I retained my passport for use until collecting the new one, at which time the old one was invalidated by having the corner cut off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

No, even when you apply for a new passport at home you have to post your old one off, which they stamp as cancelled on every page and i think they cut the corner off....then send it back to you.

Thanks. I had 2 valid passports for decades while working offshore but couldn't remember if I surrendered or not while renewing but have several here with the front cover top corner cut off. 

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I'm a female UK national and want to renew my UK passport with VFS in Chiang Mai in November. I'll be there for 4 months as a tourist. Can I still apply or it only for people living there all year ?

I spend all year in SE Asia and do not visit the UK. I normally send the renewal to the UK and get my new passport sent to the UK Honorary Consul in Penang but this seems easier. Cheers

Edited by flashlight92

• 11 months later...
On 6/1/2019 at 9:51 PM, mat999 said:

And Assist Thai visa would have gone to VFS and got your new passport there. The difference in price is your agents fees.