Video: Who's to blame? Motorcyclist in hospital after smash in Phrae

webfact

Video: Who's to blame? Motorcyclist in hospital after smash in Phrae

5pm1.jpg

Caption: A vital life moment

CCTV footage from downtown Phrae in northern Thailand showed the moment a Mazda exited a side turning at a t-junction with lights. 

A motorcycle smashes into the car at speed. 

77jowo asked the question: Who's to blame? - but it seemed fairly obvious.

The car clearly comes onto the main road when the light is still green.

It changes a second after to amber as the smash occurs. 

Whether the car driver should have been looking out for a red light runner is another matter, notes Thaivisa. 

Benjawan Kanlai, 18, who was clearly not wearing a helmet, was shown in a video being loaded up into an ambulance for the trip to Phrae Hospital. 

5pm2.jpg

Picture: 77JOWO

The car - damaged on its right side door - was driven by 31 year old Watcharapong Wanlaphachai. 

Both those involved come from Phrae. 

The accident happened at the Thung Hong intersection just before 7 pm on Tuesday. 

Source: 77JOWO

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-30

100% the bike riders fault. The Car entered the junction to turn right on a green light. 

We can't see the traffic lights for the motorcycle, but it's a very fair assumption that the motorcyclist ran a red light....

In no way whatsoever should any blame be placed on the driver of the car regardless of whether or not there may have been some moral obligation to look out for red light runners as was implied the opening post. 

Is the biker male or female?

the motorcyclist should have been breaking and preparing to stop at s red light....

my guess is he/she played a game of chicken betting on a car was not going to enter the street...the cross traffic seems to be in a blind spot until a vehicle appears and then it’s too late....

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

100% the bike riders fault. The Car entered the junction to turn right on a green light. 

We can't see the traffic lights for the motorcycle, but it's a very fair assumption that the motorcyclist ran a red light....

In no way whatsoever should any blame be placed on the driver of the car regardless of whether or not there may have been some moral obligation to look out for red light runners as was implied the opening post. 

I did not mean that as a moral obligation. 

More like a life saver. 

Remember the mantra in Thailand - take the greatest care on green.

Rooster

8 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I did not mean that as a moral obligation. 

More like a life saver. 

Remember the mantra in Thailand - take the greatest care on green.

Rooster

I was referring to the main article.. (opening post).. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Whether the car driver should have been looking out for a red light runner is another matter, notes Thaivisa. 

There is an implication that cars should be looking out for motorcycles running red lights, I kind of get that, but it in no way absolves the motorcyclist of being 100% at fault. 

Riding my motorcycle yesterday cars pulled out in front of me twice, I was already on the brakes and slowing in anticipation that they were just going to cut me off... Its relatively easy to predict in Thailand... Most don't cut you off and I find that in general in Bangkok drivers are very considerate of motorcyclists... I find it is the motorcyclists who pose the greatest risk... 

Just 2 cars cut me off yesterday... But many many more bikes rode in my blind spot or along side me giving me no room for maneuver should I see a pot hole etc... the majority of other motorcyclists are out and out idiots - the video at the beginning of this thread is a perfect example. 

It is always a wise move to look out for red light jumpers. However in this case, I would reckon that the view to the drivers right would be severely restricted until he/she had committed to making the turn.

And that stupid motorcyclist was going pretty fast. Even if the driver spotted him it would have been too late.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is true we cannot see the red light.  I remember in downtown Chiang Mai some years ago the lights at one junction was obscured by a hoarding and you couldn't see it until the last second.  We reported it at the time along with many other people but it took over three months for the hoarding to be removed.

However the car was driving correctly apart from cutting the corner a little and cannot be held responsible for the accident.  

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Is the biker male or female?

Benjawan is a typical female name.

Completely ignored the red light.

Why waste time and energy and break on such a nice straight road :saai:

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Usually there is about 5 seconds between red on one and green on the other direction.

So no question that the light was completely ignored.

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Normal day on the roads here... Hardly worth a mention 

Agreed!  And how does this become news?  Side walks and roads are the "killing fields" of people in Thailand.  Welcome to the land of smiles...and don't forget your 90 day report to mom.  

"Whether the car driver should have been looking out for a red light runner is another matter, notes Thaivisa. "

Reminds me of our neighbors daughter. She pull a u-turn in front of a gravel truck, which proceded to nail her in the front quarter panel. 

Her version: "He had plenty of room to slow down!" 

Riding a bicycle (yes, a good old bicycle) I often get cutoff by cars and motorcycles and have to break... and most of those times it's because they pass me on the right and then immediately turn left just in front of me because there is a shop or soi that they want to enter... and twice cars have even hit my bicycle doing that?! I guess that they have either left their brains at home or are too busy being on their phones to pay attention on what is happening around them.

It is my perception, as a driver of both car and motorbike, that the standard of driving, never good, has deteriorated drastically over the last year or so. Not particularly relevant to this thread, it seems to me that many car drivers do so as if they were still on two wheels.

2 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

I guess that they have either left their brains at home or are too busy being on their phones to pay attention on what is happening around them.

You can't leave at home assets you have never possessed!

Archived