Laos or Cambodia - where would you relocate to?

I think a lot would depend on where you live in Thailand, as simon43 says living in Isaan Laos would be his better option ie. being able to easily visit any friends/family back in Isaan, with me being in Sattahip, Cambodia I think would be the better option allowing my wife/me to visit her family here in Sattahip fairly easily, but it appears you have no wife so you can easily check out each country, this is purely my opinion as I have never visited either country  Laos or Cambodia, best of luck either way!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/30/2019 at 11:06 AM, simon43 said:

My choices are Laos and Cambodia... 

Why just these two ? Why not move back to the UK for an easy retirement ?

I never thought I would say this but Asia has changed and is not as attractive as a retirement destination as formally.

My family are from west London and every trip home I always thought , ' rather them than me '

However, 3 years ago my mother ,sister and grandma moved to the Isle of Wight. I was against it for selfish reasons ( no jobs , geriatric back water etc )

My Thai wife and I have both been there twice now for a month a time.

Weather was perfect ( island surrounded by sea gives milder climate ) Both times were in September and there was little rain and lots of sun. It really was so nice to be able to walk for miles outdoors in beautiful countryside without being burnt to a crisp. Fantastic food and cheap real wine. Lovely deserted sandy beaches ( except during school hols ) and a lack of multi culturalism that evoked an England of days gone by.

Ok...

No cheap sex. A clincher for some but apart from that .....Asia has had its day and I should know since I've been here 40 years !

We'd go tomorrow were it not for the spritely MIL who lives next to us. Can't take her with us and wife is against compassionate poisoning.

We are her carers and guardians and she is our ball and chain.

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yes, I'm fully aware of this and intend to get that extra year anyway.  I'm trying to plan well in advance of September 2020, because I'll need to make trips to check out 'on the ground' prior to my Elite visa expiry.

It may be worth obtaining recent editions of "The Rough Guide" or "Lonely Planet". Perhaps information that you dont know about. I used one last year before planning a trip to Vietnam. Invaluable as it was my 1st trip there. Cost 990 baht from a book store but probably far cheaper from Amazon or similar. I think Cambodia in particular still has a lot of UXB s around so dont wander off the beaten track. 

Have you ruled out Latin America? With 100K monthly income you are eligible for permanent residency (taking from instant to five years) in a number of countries there including one or more first world ones and some of them allow buy in to their national health care systems and have surprising high level health care especially in cities. There would be an earlier stage hassle of getting into their systems but once you have permanent residency, you're set. 

Within the context of Laos vs. Cambodia, it seems to me you've already answered your own question. You like Luang Prabang already. So do I but I can't imagine living there.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Have you ruled out Latin America? With 100K monthly income you are eligible for permanent residency (taking from instant to five years) in a number of countries there including one or more first world ones and some of them allow buy in to their national health care systems and have surprising high level health care especially in cities. There would be an earlier stage hassle of getting into their systems but once you have permanent residency, you're set. 

Within the context of Laos vs. Cambodia, it seems to me you've already answered your own question. You like Luang Prabang already. So do I but I can't imagine living there.

OP mentions 2 choices, niether in Latin America, stop trying to hijack this thread.

You should consider Antartica as an option I hear the cost of living there is really low. It’s probably a little colder than Columbia though.

You have 100k a month but immigration is annoying you so you will dump Thailand and flee to other countries ..why? makes no sense.. Sounds like the bashers got into your head, They don't qualify but you do..don't let them drag you down to there level of loser!

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Like I said I've been there and I just wasn't feeling it as a place I would consider living. Perhaps not modern enough for my tastes and needs. 

What's not modern enough about it, pls elaborate...

1 minute ago, madmen said:

You have 100k a month but immigration is annoying you so you will dump Thailand and flee to other countries ..why? makes no sense.. Sounds like the bashers got into your head, They don't qualify but you do..don't let them drag you down to there level of loser!

I don't agree. I get exactly where he's coming from. We're kept on too short leashes here. There are reasons to reject Thailand even if financially qualified (for now). 

Just now, Jingthing said:

I don't agree. I get exactly where he's coming from. We're kept on too short leashes here. There are reasons to reject Thailand even if financial qualified for now. 

Your still here even after countless reject Thailand posts just like so many others . He specifically said it was immigration 

I dont give a rats about the failures that lied and got the boot and the endless noise and OP if he is smart will ignore it to.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes. I already said. Pay attention. 

So why no more info about the lack of modern amenities?

You comment about loads of Latin American countries you've never visited ( and probably never will if you're honest ) but no input about somewhere you have been, very perculiar...

5 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

So why now more info about the lack of modern amenities?

You comment about loads of Latin American countries you've never visited ( and probably never will if you're honest ) but no input about somewhere you have been, very perculiar…

I can discuss the modernity of various Latin American destinations on the other thread. I was just curious if the O.P. had considered anywhere outside of Asean as other places seem to meet his needs even better than Cambodia or Laos. Especially around HEALTH CARE as he's getting older. 

As I've said before elsewhere there is no right or wrong expat destination choice for everyone. I loved my visit to Luang Prabang but it's not for me as a place to live. If that's my feeling and it is, that's only about me. Others that think it may be for them should research it and perhaps visit there themselves. I visited there only for tourism and never had an ounce of interest in ever living in Laos, never have, and never will.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I can discuss the modernity of various Latin American destinations on the other thread. I was just curious if the O.P. had considered anywhere outside of Asean as other places seem to meet his needs even better than Cambodia or Laos. Especially around HEALTH CARE as he's getting older. 

you've still not answered about why you think it's not modern?

1 minute ago, JaiLai said:

you've still not answered about why you think it's not modern?

It doesn't really matter. I don't want to live there. The O.P. on the other hand probably does want to live there. I am not suggesting I'm an authority on the place except that visiting there it didn't even cross my mind that I'd ever want to live there. 

It doesn't really matter. I don't want to live there. The O.P. on the other hand probably does want to live there. I am not suggesting I'm an authority on the place except that visiting there it didn't even cross my mind that I'd ever want to live there. 

If it does n't really matter why even bother to post it then? bit of a pintless exercise really.

I'm interested in LP and would like to know why it's not modern but you're unwilling to share the info, that's bad form...

Just now, JaiLai said:

If it does n't really matter why even bother to post it then? bit of a pintless exercise really.

I'm interested in LP and would like to know why it's not modern but you're unwilling to share the info, that's bad form...

This is an internet discussion forum. I'm not here to be prosecuted as if this is a court of law for not posting in the exact way that pleases you or any other member. Do your own research. Go there! You really should go there. It's at least a wonderful place to visit. A hint to you in the OP that said the medical care there is awful. That's a measure of modernity for you. Decent health care or not. Needing to be evacuated or not. 

This is an internet discussion forum. I'm not here to be prosecuted as if this is a court of law for not posting in the exact way that pleases you or any other member. Do your own research. Go there! You really should go there. It's at least a wonderful place to visit. A hint to you in the OP that said the medical care there is awful. That's a measure of modernity for you. Decent health care or not. Needing to be evacuated or not. 

You have plenty to say about Latin America, go there! you really should go there.

Health care does not concern me, i'm not old and crusty yet and have good coverage ( BUPA gold ).

Thanks for your input.

7 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

You have plenty to say about Latin America, go there! you really should go there.

Health care does not concern me, i'm not old and crusty yet and have good coverage ( BUPA gold ).

Thanks for your input.

I have travelled all over the world including numerous nations in Latin America. This thread is indeed not about Latin America. I was only wondering if the OP was only limiting his consideration to Cambodia and Laos and if so, why exactly.

If health care doesn't concern you, great.

Everyone has different priorities. 

It does concern the OP as he posted about it and he realizes correctly that the health care level in both Cambodia and Laos is pretty terrible.

I have travelled all over the world including numerous nations in Latin America. This thread is indeed not about Latin America. I was only wondering if the OP was only limiting his consideration to Cambodia and Laos. 

If health care doesn't concern you, great.

Everyone has different priorities. 

It does concern the OP as he posted about it and he realizes correctly that the health care level in both Cambodia and Laos is pretty terrible.

Why were you wondering if OP was only interested in Cambodia or Loas, it's clearly stated in the OP that's his 2 choices, it's really not that difficult to understand, is it?

8 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Why were you wondering if OP was only interested in Cambodia or Loas, it's clearly stated in the OP that's his 2 choices, it's really not that difficult to understand, is it?

Because I read about his objections to what's happened in Thailand and I read that he's concerned about the horrible health care systems in Cambodia and Laos. Which especially older people SHOULD be concerned about! So I was wondering about the logic about moving in old age to any country including those he listed with such poor health care systems. Also that he wants to avoid dealing with immigration offices. Don't know about the Laos system but I think it's harder than Cambodia, and it's true Cambodia is very easy for retirees (massively more so than Thailand) but that can change tomorrow or next year, and neither is offering (or will likely ever offer) permanent residency based on retirement status. With permanent residency it's like having a lifetime "Elite" card but no address reports, visa runs, extensions, etc. 

Because I read about his objections to what's happened in Thailand and I read that he's concerned about the horrible health care systems in Cambodia and Laos. Which especially older people SHOULD be concerned about! So I was wondering about the logic about moving in old age to any country including those he listed with such poor health care systems. Also that he wants to avoid dealing with immigration offices. Don't know about the Laos system but I think it's harder than Cambodia, and it's true Cambodia is very easy for retirees (massively more so than Thailand) but that can change tomorrow or next year, and neither is offering (or will likely ever offer) permanent residency based on retirement status. With permanent residency it's like having a lifetime "Elite" card but no address reports, visa runs, extensions, etc. 

So now you’re telling him where he should or should not move to?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

How very very sad that a 60 year old cannot meet the Thailand long stay requirements and needs to relegate their lifestyle to a third world country.

It all seems like such a down grade from Thailand and most of your "I wants" won't happen, but if you must do it Cambodia would probably be the better choice.

And how very sad that someone who frequently likes to belittle others lacks basic comprehension skills. 100,000baht a month income is more than enough to satisfy current Thai visa requirements, he is just fed up jumping through hoops and is looking to take his 100k a month and spend it in Laos or Cambodia.

Archived