BANGKOK 18 August 2019 03:45
zhounan

State-owned Thai bank: Which one for 1st account?

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, Briggsy said:

In general, Thai government banks tend to have a smaller and less attractive range of products (debit cards, fixed term accounts, etc.), worse customer service and worse I.T. systems than commercial banks.

This is because they do not have to compete as their survival is guaranteed and making profits is often not their primary function.

I would always choose a large commercial bank over a government bank in Thailand.

GSB has all of that Debit  en credit cards. Fix term accounts with higher intrest than commercial banks,  even don't have  to pay the 15%  government tax on intrest, and have online banking. And the service as I experienced in different branches is more than excellent. My mayor bank is Kasikorn bud my fixed term accounts are with GSB. 

Edited by henry15
spelling erros

On 5/31/2019 at 8:35 PM, kimmywest1568 said:

What about private banks?

I want to open a basic account to use when I'm in Thailand (hoping to avoid exhorbitant ATM fees), but I've been having trouble finding one that will open an account.

As a newcomer you will have problems opening an account. Two requirements - a long term visa (not a tourist visa) and proof of a Thai address. Usually they ask for a Yellow book (look it up if you do not know what this is). Alternative options are a letter from your embassy confirming your address or from immigration (which will cost you money). You might get lucky but opening an account is a lottery here. Took me 5 attempts as no yellow book, even though i had lived here for 7 years.....