Floods devastate Pattaya and surrounding areas after late night storms

webfact

Floods devastate Pattaya and surrounding areas after late night storms

10pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

77kaoded news site posted pictures of yet more misery from floods for residents in Pattaya and surrounding areas. 

Many roads were impassable for smaller vehicles and their was damage to houses, they said, after an hour long rain storm struck around 1.30 am this morning. 

Some areas were under 30 to 70 cms of water. 

Particularly affected was Sukhumvit Road on both sides near the Highway Police office in South Pattaya, Sai 3 and the Railway Road. 

A build up of trash by drains in Soi Wat Bun Samphan was inhibiting fast drainage. 

7B83E7D7-988B-4EC3-8CB8-7811B9C5C2FD.jpg

1FE8AEBC-CD33-470E-BE1B-452A6C97725C.jpg

7CA3F5DF-27F2-4A1B-8123-5C59143BD4E3.jpg

Pictures: 77kaoded

Source:  77kaoded News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-30

Soi Khao Noi in Pattaya on Wednesday morning

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I first visited Pattaya in 1979, they had flooding problems then, now, 40 years later they still have no clue as to how to resolve the problem. I could give them some direction within a few hours, but hey, I don't live there so it doesn't bother me!

8 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I first visited Pattaya in 1979, they had flooding problems then, now, 40 years later they still have no clue as to how to resolve the problem. I could give them some direction within a few hours, but hey, I don't live there so it doesn't bother me!

your proper solution would cost a lot of money which they don't want to spend

In countries were you have heavy rainfall over short periods you need very large infrastructure to deal with it - you also need proper City Planning and regulations - the only way to fix pattaya's flooding problem is to install massive road size storm drains at key points from East to West on the surface and right out into the sea, it would require demolishing many properties 

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Just not a fair world is it!!

Pattaya gets loads of rain while up here in Isaan the rivers and ponds are dry.

It is irritating me... just had to pump some out of my pool and next week all of it will have to go down the drain as I am having work done. Bet it is dry and sunny when I come to refill it and I will have to pay to get water trucked in!

18 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I first visited Pattaya in 1979,

It seems worse now. Although a few years after that I was having to paddle across soi Nana in Bangkok, no better there. 

Now now chaps & chapeses, don't be too hard on the beach ???? The sand is still around the beach, just not where it was meant to be ???? The back hoes will be hard at work soon putting it all back just for it to disappear again sometime soon. ???? 

On a more serious note, it started raining about 12.00 pm as I was on my way to bed, it really hissed it down for well over an hour and then the power went off at 12.50 pm for appx an hour, most uncomfortable. it didn't stop raining all night and it was still raining when I got up at 09.30 this morning.

Picture No.2 shows the scale of the rubbish problem which goes a long way to exacerbating the problem.

34 minutes ago, smedly said:

your proper solution would cost a lot of money which they don't want to spend

In countries were you have heavy rainfall over short periods you need very large infrastructure to deal with it - you also need proper City Planning and regulations - the only way to fix pattaya's flooding problem is to install massive road size storm drains at key points from East to West on the surface and right out into the sea, it would require demolishing many properties 

There is a new 'village' being built opposite where I live, the jungle has been ripped up and disposed of, hundreds (literally) of trucks have dropped dirt on the wasteland, I suppose that the builder will let that all settle then start the building phase, piles will go in, houses will be built, it will be concreted over without a drain in sight, quite a few more rai of land that used to suck up the rain gone.......... How the f*** do they get away with it ? 

42 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Plus since 1979 budgets of at least several billion $s have been allocated to this problem with very little effect. 

52 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Would any sensible person agree to drive his/her car like they do in the picture?

Even with my big Isuzu pickup I would stay at home;
the electric elements of this sedan have surely not appreciated the ride

Is the problem that Pattaya is too low? No natural run off to surrounding areas. This is often the trouble when villages develop into towns and then into cities. The development below ground fails to match the building above ground.

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Plus since 1979 budgets of at least several billion $s have been allocated to this problem with very little effect. 

Not so many years ago huge amount of baht spent to fix this. If I recall perhaps 10-20% went to actual flood control. Most went to private firms to repair their damage, plus usual "service charges"

I'm glad my condo room is on 7th floor...

1 hour ago, smedly said:

In countries were you have heavy rainfall over short periods you need very large infrastructure to deal with it - you also need proper City Planning and regulations

Sounds like Singapore, the other end of the scale is off course Pattaya it only gets worse due to lack of planning and GREED!

Archived