How to report a hospital refusing to sell medication?

arithai12

I have seen a few threads about reporting hospital malfeasance, but they are all quite old or closed, so I try here.

I have a valid prescription from a doctor at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital, but I prefer to buy the medication at Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai where it is considerably cheaper. Today I was was at this latter, for other reasons, and I showed them the prescription (2 days old) and asked to buy also this medication. To cut the story short, they could only sell it if it was prescribed by their own doctor. After 1.5 hours of discussions and documents, they finally produced a bill for the medication which included also the consultation fee for their doctor (although I didn't see that doctor at all). Out of principle, I refused.

1) I have been told that if I have a valid prescription, I can buy the medication from any hospital's pharmacy. Is this correct?

2) if above is true, I'd like to file a complaint about BKKCM refusing to sell it. How/where to do this?

btw, CMR charges 93% higher price for the exact same medication, maybe that also deserves a complaint.

"1) I have been told that if I have a valid prescription, I can buy the medication from any hospital's pharmacy. Is this correct? "

No, it is not correct.

Hospital pharmacies serve the needs of the hospital's other services (inpatient and  outpatient care) and are not public pharmacies. They are under no obligation to sell to the general public on demand and I do not know of any who do so.

Under new regulations (or maybe old ones but supposedly newly being enforced) hospitals are required to allow patients to buy their medications` elsewhere i.e. at an outside pharmacy if desired, perhaps this is what you are thinking of. It  does NOT mean buying from another hospital.

Is your medication a controlled substance? Because if not just go to a regular public pharmacy and buy it there, will be far cheaper than any hospital.

Thailand does not use prescriptions as in other countries and most medications do not require one in any case.  Hospital dispensaries are set up to provide service for patients of doctors working in that facility - they are not drug stores.

57 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

1) I have been told that if I have a valid prescription, I can buy the medication from any hospital's pharmacy. Is this correct?

No need for a prescription or hospital, you can buy almost any drug you can name over the counter at a Thai pharmacy.

I'd suggest Dara Pharmacy (opposite Dara Academy and McCormick hospital in Kaeonawarat Road) as they seem to have everything I've ever asked for at decent prices.

The pharmacy near the corner of Thae Pae gate also seems reasonable.

Fascino (Suthep Road), were the most expensive place I asked, between 30% & 300% more for the same drugs Dara was selling.

If I may compare just one 'brand name' blood pressure drug I purchased recently,

Fascino 1,050bht, my SanSai corner drug store 800bht, Dara 300bht.

Same drug, same quantity, same box in each store.

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Hospital pharmacies serve the needs of the hospital's other services (inpatient and  outpatient care) and are not public pharmacies. They are under no obligation to sell to the general public on demand and I do not know of any who do so.

My information was from two doctors of CM Ram, who told me (independently) that their prescriptions would be honored at any other hospital/pharmacy. And in fact, many years ago I had a prescription from hospital A, they were out of it, and I got the medication at hospital B.

On another occasion, I inquired about the price of a medication at hospital C, and they told me that to sell it they would need a prescription from a doctor, no mention that it would have to be their own doctor.

I will do some more inquiries.

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No need for a prescription or hospital, you can buy almost any drug you can name over the counter at a Thai pharmacy.

I'd suggest Dara Pharmacy (opposite Dara Academy and McCormick hospital in Kaeonawarat Road) as they seem to have everything I've ever asked for at decent prices.

Fascino (Suthep Road), were the most expensive place I asked, between 30% & 300% more for the same drugs Dara was selling.

If I may compare just one 'brand name' blood pressure drug I purchased recently,

The one I need is prescription-only. Not to be found at "corner drug stores", unfortunately. Also not available as "thai made" product with identical composition.

But yes I am aware of the wide range of prices and overpricing. Almost double price in one hospital compared to the other.

2 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

The one I need is prescription-only. Not to be found at "corner drug stores", unfortunately. Also not available as "thai made" product with identical composition.

But yes I am aware of the wide range of prices and overpricing. Almost double price in one hospital compared to the other.

Why be shy?, name the drug, I'll bet I can buy it over the counter.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It used to be the case that you could buy almost any drug over the counter in Thailand, except for drugs that were only available through hospitals. That is no longer the case. In the three pharmacies that I used to use in Bangkok, one of which was closed down by the authorities, they no longer supply medications without a prescription.

You may find that this is a slow rolling policy that may be coming your way in Chiang Mai soon.

9 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

You may find that this is a slow rolling policy that may be coming your way in Chiang Mai soon.

You may be right, Thailand is gradually getting worse in every way.

But hospital staff and shop assistants also lie a lot to foreigners.

"No have", "Can't sell", "not allowed", etc.

When I was seeing the doctor in the government hospital, I had collected a list of drugs I wanted to try.

Doctor said, "government hospital only has this one, but you can buy the rest on your own".

Then added his own suggestion for something for me to try.

The entire list was available at my local pharmacy.

13 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

???????????? Who in there right minds would go to a hospital for prescription drugs? Pharmacies are up to 90%  less than hospital prices!!!

Where do you get that idea from?

Maybe you should have said, private hospitals are more expensive than pharmacies.

Government hospitals are cheaper than pharmacies.

That pharmacy is part of Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai, and obviously not a public one. It is only understandable that the don't honour 3rd party prescriptions. You stated medications there are considerably cheaper. Well, not to my own experience. I compared their prices with 1st class pharmacies in Chiang Mai (Fascino, First Drug), and Bangkok Hospital Pharmacy turned out to be 40 % more expensive. I recommend Fascino where I so far got every medication I wanted without prescription, except Dexamethason.

8 minutes ago, paddyfield7 said:

I recommend Fascino where I so far got every medication I wanted without prescription, except Dexamethason.

You need to try a few more pharmacies.

Fascino is the most expensive I found charging 1,050bht for a drug I paid 300bht for in Dara.

(Same brand/box/content)

Pheera pharmacy just over from Thapae Gate in Ratchadamnoen Road ( Old City ) seems to carry a lot of farang prescription pharmaceuticals. The lady pharmacist there speaks very good English.

Complaining here is a waste of time. Easier to take custom elsewhere.

5 meds a day first time bought at hospital two months 10,000 baht.

checked local pharmacy and all but one Spironolactone 

have to buy at hospital. Cost Udon Thani verses local 

hospital UD is 10x higher. I can buy online less expensive but worry if real or not so haven’t bought online 

It used to be the case that you could buy almost any drug over the counter in Thailand, except for drugs that were only available through hospitals. That is no longer the case. In the three pharmacies that I used to use in Bangkok, one of which was closed down by the authorities, they no longer supply medications without a prescription.

There is no such government polucy.

Each drug has a classification which determines whether or not it requires a orescription etc. The vast majority do not and this has not changed.

HOWEVER there are requirements for most non-prescription drugs (category D) including presence of a first grade pharmacist. These used to be widely ignored but are now being more frequently enforced with the result that some pharmacies are closing ir ceasing to sell many medications.

Go to a pharmacy that employs real pharmacists behind the counter and you will find nothing changed.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 meds a day first time bought at hospital two months 10,000 baht.
checked local pharmacy and all but one Spironolactone 
have to buy at hospital. Cost Udon Thani verses local 
hospital UD is 10x higher. I can buy online less expensive but worry if real or not so haven’t bought online 
While not impossible it is unlikely 4 out of 5 of your meds are hospital only (category S).

It is not unusual for pharmacy staff to give wrong information like this when the truth is either they just don't stock the medication ir they are unable to sell it because they do not have a grade one pharmacist on site.

Unless these meds are narcotics, suggest you list them here and I'll advise whether they are really hosputal only.

I am most surprised that the Bangkok Hospital is cheaper, as far as medicines are concerned, than Chiang Mai Ram. My experience with both was exactly the opposite, i.e. Bangkok Hospital is by far more expensive on medicines than Chiang Mai Ram.

As far as the private hospitals go, from what I have seen they are under no obligation to sell you meds other doctors or hospitals prescribed. As far as Pharmacies go, I have run into meds that are strictly regulated and not available without a prescription or only available at hospitals, but have also found that when told that by one pharmacy and I go to the pharmacy down the street and they sometimes have it and will sell it.

It would be good to have a list of what is truly prohibited here or classified prescription only so that we know for sure.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

While not impossible it is unlikely 4 out of 5 of your meds are hospital only (category S).

It is not unusual for pharmacy staff to give wrong information like this when the truth is either they just don't stock the medication ir they are unable to sell it because they do not have a grade one pharmacist on site.

Unless these meds are narcotics, suggest you list them here and I'll advise whether they are really hosputal only.

recently went to a bkk pharmacy that had a bonafide pharmacist/ i was seeking isopropyl alcohol and she showed me what they had, ethanol. i lightheartedly mentioned ethanol in drinking alcohol and she adamantly denied it. i then asked her what alcohol is in beer, whiskey and vodka. she said "no, no, no" .

the education system can be very pathetic

On 5/30/2019 at 2:51 PM, bkk6060 said:

I can understand them refusing you as another hospital prescribed it.

Have you tried a pharmacy in town or only a hospital has your meds?

Hospitals are not a franchise and a registered doctor wrote it in Thailand. It is extortion and should be doubt with severely. Doctors are being told there not worthy to issue lol.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Where do you get that idea from?

Maybe you should have said, private hospitals are more expensive than pharmacies.

Government hospitals are cheaper than pharmacies.

I get the fact, not idea, from the local government hospital charging my Thai wife's dying 28 year old sister 3,300 baht for same, not generic tabs, I got for 550 baht and likewise 4000 baht charged for 700 baht at the local pharmacy.

1 minute ago, DPKANKAN said:

I get the fact, not idea, from the local government hospital charging my Thai wife's dying 28 year old sister 3,300 baht for same, not generic tabs, I got for 550 baht and likewise 4000 baht charged for 700 baht at the local pharmacy.

My experience just the opposite.

Did you see and understand the bill?

Many times ladies here tell you that the bill is++++++ when it is a lot less.

Just now, colinneil said:

My experience just the opposite.

Did you see and understand the bill?

Many times ladies here tell you that the bill is++++++ when it is a lot less.

Did I understand the bill? Jesus wept. I learnt to read at school, learnt to count, spell and do joinned up writing to!! 

9 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Did I understand the bill? Jesus wept. I learnt to read at school, learnt to count, spell and do joinned up writing to!! 

No need for the smart arse comment, we are talking about Thailand not farang land. Gawd .

Another point if your wifes sister is was Thai why would she pay for meds?

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

went to a bkk pharmacy that had a bonafide pharmacist/ i was seeking isopropyl alcohol

Your comment is slightly off topic but it is true that pharmacies sell isopropyl but other places such as Lotus/TESCO, 7/11, etc also sell it and usually cheaper, but only in small bottles.

'nuf sed.

Archived