Third grader dies after being electrocuted at Kamphaeng Phet school

webfact

Third grader dies after being electrocuted at Kamphaeng Phet school

By The Nation

tr.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A third-grade schoolgirl died on Thursday, and her cousin was injured, after they were electrocuted at a school in Kamphaeng Phet’s Muang district.

The two cousins fell unconscious after they were shocked when they grabbed an iron gate at Ban Nam Dib School in Moo 8 village in Tambon Nong Pling at 3.30pm on Wednesday following heavy rains.

They were rushed to Kamphaeng Phet Hospital intensive care unit.

The hospital said the third grader, Chonlada Chat-on, 9, died at 9am on Thursday. Her blood pressure and pulse rate had been dropping since 6am and doctors resuscitated her three times but failed to bring her back.

Wanchai Kerdmeephote, deputy director of the Kamphaeng Phet Basic Education Office, visited the school to investigate the power leakage.

Thanadkijj Nuam-in, the manager of the Kamphaeng Phet electricity office, went to the school on Wednesday night. He said they found that the school used temporary power wires at several spots that could easily cause a short circuit if the wires broke or became exposed.

Doctors said the dead girl's fifth grade cousin was now in a safe condition.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30370277

thenation_logo.jpg

22 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

and who will go to jail for this  avoidable tragedy, answer, nobody.  Disgraceful and so sad. 

Nobody will go to jail because as usual the family  will work out a compensation deal with the school. Thats just the way it is

21 minutes ago, Vacuum said:
55 minutes ago, webfact said:

they found that the school used temporary power wires at several spots

Often these are 'permanent'.

How true.

Sadly in this case, I bet the 'temporary' cable became 'permanent', then after the electrocution it instantly became reclassifed as 'temporary' again, to try and avoid any blame.

Why do Thais have such a blasé attitude to electricity supply. My friend who is a very well regarded builder uses extension wires for his power tools consisting of two core cable twisted and repaired and up to 30 metres long.

Where I live the power lines droop between posts almost touching the ground and nobody seems to care.

Has anyone got an answer for this or should I just say T I T.

2 minutes ago, PJPom said:

Why do Thais have such a blasé attitude to electricity supply. My friend who is a very well regarded builder uses extension wires for his power tools consisting of two core cable twisted and repaired and up to 30 metres long.

Where I live the power lines droop between posts almost touching the ground and nobody seems to care.

Has anyone got an answer for this or should I just say T I T.

Yeah, TIT - The Insulation's Taped.

3 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Death traps everywhere. First someone must get hurt or die, before they do something. 

Wrong. The plebs die no one cares. Nothing gets done. They never learn. Never need to because money can buy anyone out of anything.

3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Wrong. The plebs die no one cares. Nothing gets done. They never learn. Never need to because money can buy anyone out of anything.

They might fix this "temporary wire" but there are probably plenty more that hasn't caused any accidents yet.....  Sadly, even horrible incidents like this one are unlikely to change their overall approach to safety. 

A major problem is that the power system is designed after 'european' style, which allows a high resistance grounded wire (as happens in a storm with trees nearby) to remain 'live' without cutting off power to the system.  This is more convenient to customers as system power remains on while power company can take days to find the problem (or longer).  The american system, is designed so that the same downed wire causes a major surge that is quickly detected & the broken part of system is isolated until repair is made.  thus crews work 24 /7 after storms.   

35 minutes ago, 1130bobs said:

A major problem is that the power system is designed after 'european' style, which allows a high resistance grounded wire (as happens in a storm with trees nearby) to remain 'live' without cutting off power to the system.  This is more convenient to customers as system power remains on while power company can take days to find the problem (or longer).  The american system, is designed so that the same downed wire causes a major surge that is quickly detected & the broken part of system is isolated until repair is made.  thus crews work 24 /7 after storms.   

Care to link your source for that.

Sounds like a load of dribble to me. 

The use of final sub-circuit safety switches would almost completely eliminate the above accidents.

I say almost, as in the MEN system (as Thailand largely is) there is still a possibility the incident could occur due to mains broken neutral from poor maintenance. 

20 hours ago, madmen said:

Nobody will go to jail because as usual the family  will work out a compensation deal with the school. Thats just the way it is

The way they look at it is like this, the victim already dead whats the point of putting another person in  jail since the dead wont be coming back so its better to take the compensation. My thai gf explain it like this to me.:(

18 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Death traps everywhere. First someone must get hurt or die, before they do something. 

Normal procedure in any country, these things happened in your country at some stage too, probally long before you were born, people died and things where changed to  prevent it happening again, thats the reason the west is awash  with H&S everywhere you go

12 minutes ago, bainai144 said:

Normal procedure in any country, these things happened in your country at some stage too, probally long before you were born, people died and things where changed to  prevent it happening again, thats the reason the west is awash  with H&S everywhere you go

Last year in America.  https://nypost.com/2018/11/18/6-year-old-electrocuted-by-handrail-at-mgm-resort-left-brain-damaged-suit/

As long as Thai people (laymen) and "technicians" dont know about electricity, there will be people dying. Of course there will be real qualified technicians in Thailand. 

As long as wiring is hanging on poles and through the air, it can fail. All is getting older and should to be replaced. Sun and environment will age the cables, significantly 

Thailand is just like as long as it works, reconnect with tape if it fails, some time.

Thanadkijj Nuam-in, the manager of the Kamphaeng Phet electricity office, went to the school on Wednesday night. He said they found that the school used temporary power wires at several spots that could easily cause a short circuit if the wires broke or became exposed.

Again, laymen, even if done by "technicians" , just mai pen rai. Easy way, not thinking at all, not knowing. Not made for staying good , long time.

Sadly, one kid dead. the other one survived,

BUT surviving will not say its over for the kid. The body and brain can have lots of troubles later on. The child can be marked for life with this experience, failing to have normal life. 

As long there is no "important person" is dying of it then no one cares. But oh jeepers if an IP is dying of this, then all is on fire.   

5 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

As long as Thai people (laymen) and "technicians" dont know about electricity, there will be people dying. Of course there will be real qualified technicians in Thailand. 

As long as wiring is hanging on poles and through the air, it can fail. All is getting older and should to be replaced. Sun and environment will age the cables, significantly 

Thailand is just like as long as it works, reconnect with tape if it fails, some time.

Again, laymen, even if done by "technicians" , just mai pen rai. Easy way, not thinking at all, not knowing. Not made for staying good , long time.

Sadly, one kid dead. the other one survived,

BUT surviving will not say its over for the kid. The body and brain can have lots of troubles later on. The child can be marked for life with this experience, failing to have normal life. 

As long there is no "important person" is dying of it then no one cares. But oh jeepers if an IP is dying of this, then all is on fire.   

imo even if important people die nothing will change either. 

On 5/31/2019 at 2:03 PM, Benroon said:

As much as I like this place the electric does scare the bejasus out of me. 

Especially dodging them on the "footpaths" 

Rubber soled shoes should become compulsory I guess

RIP, life wasted. I hope the surviving child is not brain damaged

Archived