Grieving family bows to deceased teen’s decision to donate his organs

webfact

Grieving family bows to deceased teen’s decision to donate his organs

By THE NATION

00b7daeeb6b3a4f91b2c48da399e3cf8.jpeg

A TEENAGER’S family learned about his decision to donate his organs only after his death, it was disclosed yesterday at a press conference.

Pongsathorn Amput, 18, a resident of Chiang Rai province’s Dok Kham Tai district, was undergoing treatment at Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital for serious head injuries suffered in a road accident.

After he died a few days ago, the hospital found that he had donated his organs to the Thai Red Cross for transplants. 

The teenager’s family was informed about his organ donation. Due to his age, permission was needed from his parents before his organs could be used. 

Surgeon Dr Pongsakorn Pongsapas, who is in charge of the hospital’s organ donation and transplant centre, told the press conference yesterday that six organs of the deceased teenager – heart, liver, two kidneys and two eyes – were removed and later transplanted in six patients.

“Organ donation is a great way to make merit,” the doctor said. The hospital thanked the donor’s family.

He said the Chiang Rai hospital has the capability to conduct organ transplants but the problem was one of shortage of donated organs.

The teenager’s parents yesterday said they were surprised to learn that he was an organ donor. He had never told them about that.

eb08ae58cfc5a89a57df6012b9b1fbb5.jpeg

Pongsathorn Amput, 18, a resident of Chiang Rai province’s Dok Kham Tai district, and his parents are all smiles in this photo. The teenager recently passed away and donated his organs to a state hospital.

His father Watchara, 56, said yesterday that the family has just learned from the hospital that he had donated his organs to the Thai Red Cross. 

“We were surprised and found it unacceptable in the beginning. But we later accepted that it was his intention, so we went along. We are very sorry [about his death] but we find that his organs could help as many as six people, so we allowed the doctors to use the organs,” the father said.

The teenager’s mother Saokham, 47, said she had learnt that he had donated his organs when he was a high-school student, without his family coming to know about it. The mother said that she initially disagreed with the idea of organ donation but she later learned that there was a high demand for donated organs for patients in need of transplants. 

“We discussed and gave permission to make merit for him,” she said.

More than 6,400 patients have registered with the Thai Red Cross for organ transplants. Of these, most of them – 6,082 – are on the waiting list for kidney transplants. So far this year, only 585 people on the waiting list could actually undergo organ transplants, according to the Thai Red Cross.

Dr Samroeng Srikaew, deputy director of the Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital, told the press conference yesterday that only 111 people had offered to donate their organs this year, which was far below the demand.

“The hospital would like to thank the Amput family for allowing Pongsathorn’s organs to be donated. His organs could help save a lot of lives – and this was a great merit-making,” the hospital executive said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30370310

thenation_logo.jpg

Just how do you become an organ donor in Thailand? (No joking from me for once.)

I've asked around and so far drawn a blank.

All I've been able to find is body donation here: https://english.redcross.or.th/node/51  and here:  http://www.sc.mahidol.ac.th/scan/bodydonation.htm  although that all seems to be Bangkok based, and I live in Udon Thani.

I did find a link to a Khon Kaen University .pdf file, only in Thai.

From the way I've read it, it seems my family is responsible to transport my body to these establishments, which does seem something they wouldn't want to do immediately after my demise.

I thought at least a medical department might as well have the use of my body, although I'm not certain that at sixty years-old what use it could be, but it will be of no more use to me.

As a Brit I think of the organ donor system in the UK. That used to be (twenty-odd year ago) signing an easily available organ donor card and carrying it with you all the time. Perhaps that has been improved on with technology now in the UK, I don't know?

Does anyone know if there is a (national) organ donation scheme in Thailand?

26 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Just how do you become an organ donor in Thailand? (No joking from me for once.)

I've asked around and so far drawn a blank.

You need to apply with the Thai Red Cross.

Haven't done it myself yet, neither did the wife, but its in the planning (unfortuantely it is something easily forgotten).

5 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

You need to apply with the Thai Red Cross.

Haven't done it myself yet, neither did the wife, but its in the planning (unfortuantely it is something easily forgotten).

Thanks.

Unfortunately from this page I can see I'm ineligible:  https://english.redcross.or.th/node/52 

Qualifications of organ donors
1. The donor must be under 60 years of age.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr Samroeng Srikaew, deputy director of the Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital, told the press conference yesterday that only 111 people had offered to donate their organs this year, which was far below the demand.

I would have thought an education programme throughout high schools & Universities would greatly increase this number. Most teenagers have a different mindset about helping others in such cases & would donate their organs if in a similar situation.

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

I would have thought an education programme throughout high schools & Universities would greatly increase this number. Most teenagers have a different mindset about helping others in such cases & would donate their organs if in a similar situation.

when I mentioned organ donation originally to my wife, she was absolutely against the idea.

I see it as a cultural difference, along with the Buddhist belief. I think it will take a long time for Thais to change their attitude about this.

My wife has also been against me wanting to donate by body to a hospital - probably for their interns to learn about post mortems, I don't really know.

I do know however, that it's more practical to give someone the opportunity to learn something from examining me than it would be opting for cremation, even though at present it's not seen as a 'Thai' thing to do.

England next year is starting the OPT OUT system, whereby, unless you sign to opt out you are automatically deemed to be a willing organ donor. I know Spain, Austria, and Belgium already have the system which is yielding high rates of donors.

In the USA, each state will have different laws which includes wearing a helmet when on a motorcycle. Interesting to say the states that have no law requiring wearing a helmet also has the highest organ donations from deaths on motorcycles. 

7 minutes ago, IssanMichael said:

What i don't understand is that it says in the article that the hospital found out a few days after his death about the permission to donate and they then used his organs. I thought that organs had to be taken from the donor immediately?

That's a very good point.

Perhaps if the body was in a refrigerator it slows down decomposition of the organs? Just a suggestion as someone with very little medical knowledge.

Very painful choice for the parents at the worst possible time. They made a wonderful decision, and my hat is off to them. As time goes on, I am sure this decision will help salve their pain a little.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

“Organ donation is a great way to make merit,” the doctor said. The hospital thanked the donor’s family.

They should run with this. It is an excellent idea and would make many more Thai's sign up.

Blessings to the young man and his family.

2 hours ago, IssanMichael said:

What i don't understand is that it says in the article that the hospital found out a few days after his death about the permission to donate and they then used his organs. I thought that organs had to be taken from the donor immediately?

I believe you are right. You can't get a dead body out of the fridge after a few days and still use the organs. My guess is that it is an inaccuracy of reporting where the writer was too afraid to look foolish by asking questions and just wrote whatever he thinks happened. In the article it does say the following: was undergoing treatment at Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital for serious head injuries suffered in a road accident. This sounds like he was on life support with no prospect of ever waking up again, hence they gave up on him but before unplugging the machines they found out he was a donor. If that was the case the organs would still have a continuous supply of blood/oxygen and they could be used for donation. 

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

My guess is that it is an inaccuracy of reporting where the writer was too afraid to look foolish by asking questions and just wrote whatever he thinks happened. In the article it does say the following: was undergoing treatment at Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital for serious head injuries suffered in a road accident. This sounds like he was on life support with no prospect of ever waking up again, hence they gave up on him but before unplugging the machines they found out he was a donor. If that was the case the organs would still have a continuous supply of blood/oxygen and they could be used for donation.

nobody is skeptical? I mean, we talk about Thailand!
and an 18 year old teen. when should he have thought about it?

8 minutes ago, andy6699 said:

nobody is skeptical? I mean, we talk about Thailand!
and an 18 year old teen. when should he have thought about it?

It states it in the article:

14 hours ago, webfact said:

The teenager’s mother Saokham, 47, said she had learnt that he had donated his organs when he was a high-school student, without his family coming to know about it

I have had three cornea transplants - yes 3, the first was rejected. So three kind people in the UK donated them. I am so grateful for this. I am registered, and carry a donar card in the UK. 

In the UK there is no age limit on donars. Organs are evaluated at the time of death to determine their suitability. 

Individuals in their 80's have successfully donated organs, including liver and kidneys. I am nearly 80 but I will check with the Thai Red Cross to check this out. 

22 minutes ago, chash said:

I have had three cornea transplants - yes 3, the first was rejected. So three kind people in the UK donated them. I am so grateful for this. I am registered, and carry a donar card in the UK. 

In the UK there is no age limit on donars. Organs are evaluated at the time of death to determine their suitability. 

Individuals in their 80's have successfully donated organs, including liver and kidneys. I am nearly 80 but I will check with the Thai Red Cross to check this out. 

Earlier today I posted this already:

"Unfortunately from this page I can see I'm ineligible:  https://english.redcross.or.th/node/52 

1. The donor must be under 60 years of age."

However, if you do contact the Red Cross and the age restriction proves to be incorrect as stated above, please let us know.

18 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks.

Unfortunately from this page I can see I'm ineligible:  https://english.redcross.or.th/node/52 

1. The donor must be under 60 years of age.

Never mind.

When you do die I'm sure that your wife will happily arrange for your shrouded corpse to be the centrepiece of a photo, similar to the bizzarre and surreal image headlining this thread.

On the board it could read:

"He would have gladly given his body had not regulations prevented it".

Archived