Govt takes concrete steps to stop overpricing at private hospitals

webfact

Greetings,

Thai Government has no power to enforce price fixing or gauging over Bumrungrad Hospital!  Bumrungrad Hospital is the most powerful and expensive private hospital in Thailand!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bkkbudddy said:

Greetings,

Thai Government has no power to enforce price fixing or gauging over Bumrungrad Hospital!  Bumrungrad Hospital is the most powerful and expensive private hospital in Thailand!

In what way are they powerful?

Dept of Trade? Why isn’t the Ministry of Health involved?

Good to see the Gov’t doing something about rip off hospitals. The fine needs to be far more though.

Will they enforce it or will there be pay offs in brown envelopes to forget about it?

At least this might help lower the cost of medical insurance, which is no doubt coming our way.

15 hours ago, SanookTeufel said:

The hospitals in the U.S. have been overcharging patients for years and nobody bats an eye.

Great job for Thailand ensuring patients have reasonable prices.

Ah, but it's not illegal there! I don't have any problem with the two hospitals I've used here in Nakhon Sawan. Actually, I don't see how they survive. There are lots of hospitals for such a small city.

Went in for infected toe. First doc recommended immediate surgery and took me to a surgeon who recommended antibiotics. After six months of near daily hospital  treatments, home care, and many antibiotic drips, costing around $4000 plus all the taxi fares (no walking), I returned to the states where one look and they chopped the toe off at a copay of $340. To be fair I note that the bill for three days in the hospital in the U.S. in 2016 for a different problem came to $37,000. No medications or surgery involved; just blood tests. I still await my share of that bill as the hospital and insurance company are atill fighting over it.

I do travel very often to Thailand, particulary to Bangkok (for the last 35 years). 

Two years ago, I had a tooth crown that fell off. So I went to the Bangkok Christian Hospital in Silom to have it cementes again.

At the reception, I had to fill about 4 pages of silly questions, but whatever. All I wanted was my tooth crown glued back !

Then I went to see a nurse. A nurse ? I needed a dentist. And whatfor ? They wanted to take my blood presure, make an x-ray (ortodontgraphy) and finally , to make a blood test (Hemogram, etc).

This is when I took out my medical license and asked to see and talk immediately to the department' responsible colleague.

To my surprise, she came out of her practice and told me that all those procedures were normal and necessary. I could not believe in what I was hearing !!!

So I told her : Madam: I am (and have been for 35 years an MD (Pathologist) and here is my licence. All I need is a litle bit of cement to glue a crown of this tooth. And I showed her the crown. Then I went on: as an MD (dentist) youself , I am sure you know that it only takes a little bit of cement - I gave her the name which is C3 - and all the rest is rubbish. If you don´t solve the problem in the next 5 minutes, I will call my friend the Portuguese Ambassador and I am sure he will be delighted to call the Minister of Health. 

Well : it took them 2 minutes to have me seated in the dentist's chair, and another 2 minutes to glue back my dental crown.

I left and went to the receptio to pay the bill : 35.000 THB 

HAhahahahaha !

This time, I called to talk to the hospital's director. He apologised profusely and said : Oh my dear colleague, this was an apparent mistake. Plese go , you have nothing to pay for ...

I do travel very often to Thailand, particulary to Bangkok (for the last 35 years). 
Two years ago, I had a tooth crown that fell off. So I went to the Bangkok Christian Hospital in Silom to have it cementes again.
At the reception, I had to fill about 4 pages of silly questions, but whatever. All I wanted was my tooth crown glued back !
Then I went to see a nurse. A nurse ? I needed a dentist. And whatfor ? They wanted to take my blood presure, make an x-ray (ortodontgraphy) and finally , to make a blood test (Hemogram, etc).
This is when I took out my medical license and asked to see and talk immediately to the department' responsible colleague.
To my surprise, she came out of her practice and told me that all those procedures were normal and necessary. I could not believe in what I was hearing !!!
So I told her : Madam: I am (and have been for 35 years an MD (Pathologist) and here is my licence. All I need is a litle bit of cement to glue a crown of this tooth. And I showed her the crown. Then I went on: as an MD (dentist) youself , I am sure you know that it only takes a little bit of cement - I gave her the name which is C3 - and all the rest is rubbish. If you don´t solve the problem in the next 5 minutes, I will call my friend the Portuguese Ambassador and I am sure he will be delighted to call the Minister of Health. 
Well : it took them 2 minutes to have me seated in the dentist's chair, and another 2 minutes to glue back my dental crown.
I left and went to the receptio to pay the bill : 35.000 THB 
HAhahahahaha !
This time, I called to talk to the hospital's director. He apologised profusely and said : Oh my dear colleague, this was an apparent mistake. Plese go , you have nothing to pay for ...

Wow, can I have your autograph?

Why didn’t you just go to a dentist?

On 5/31/2019 at 5:03 AM, NanLaew said:

I am so glad it's concrete steps they're taking. Those wooden ones can get really slippy, especially after it rains.

Their profits will go down as people are unable to access the building i think they should also take the concrete ramps. just to clarify my new steps were not taken from a hospital.:coffee1:

Archived