Tuk-Tuk driver turns on the waterworks and wais after ripping off US tourists

webfact

Tuk-Tuk driver turns on the waterworks and wais after ripping off US tourists

1pm.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Tourist police and the Department of Land Transport tracked down the tuk-tuk driver who ripped off three American tourists earlier this week. He had charged them 1,500 baht for a short hop.

He will be fined thousands of baht. 

He has apologized for damaging the image of the country. 

The tourists agreed a fee of 500 baht to go from the Coliseum near the Urupong intersection to the Century Park Hotel near Victory Monument. When they reached their destination the driver charged them 500 baht EACH. 

They paid the 1,500 baht but later a guide went to report the matter on their behalf and the story reached mainstream social media. The DLT initially said there was not much they could do but the tourist police, Nang Lerng cops and the DLT got involved behind the scenes. 

Driver Bunlert Jatsanam, 61, had fled to Roi-Et in Thailand's north east amid the social media firestorm.

Yesterday with tears welling up and raising his hands in a "wai" he told the Thai media that he was sorry to everyone.

"I didn't mean to damage the image of Thailand," he said. "I just needed the money". 

DLT official said he would face charges of having a suppressed licence plate, an out of date driving licence and overcharging. Fines for these are up to 2,000, 2,000 and 5,000 baht respectively. 

The US tourists expressed themselves happy with the outcome and wanted to leave it at that, said the police.

Source: Daily News

Oh woe is me, this is the first time I have ever ripped off anyone, oh, sorry, this is the first time I have ever been caught.................

7 minutes ago, webfact said:
Yesterday with tears welling up and raising his hands in a "wai" he told the Thai media that he was sorry to everyone.
"I didn't mean to damage the image of Thailand," he said. "I just needed the money". 

He's only crying because he was caught, and it's the best face-saving option for him.

He had enough cash to run away to Roi-Et.

I only hope the DLT carry their threat to fine him 9,000 Baht. I bet the story disappears from view and we'll be none the wiser.

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

The US tourists expressed themselves happy with the outcome and wanted to leave it at that, said the police.

Salute to these gals for handling the situation with class. Hope they enjoy the balance of their trip.

34 minutes ago, webfact said:

"I didn't mean to damage the image of Thailand,"

Well, your not alone Bunlert, their are much bigger fish than you doing it better than you can even imagine!

37 minutes ago, webfact said:

If you need more money, work harder and longer. That really is no justification for ripping people off. Glad to see he is getting hammered for it. Hope the same thing continues for the rest of them who regularly do the same.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Driver Bunlert Jatsanam, 61, had fled to Roi-Et in Thailand's north east amid the social media firestorm.

Can the scumbag scammer not be charged with leaving the scene of the scam as well!

lying SOB ,  so why did he flee then, only thing he was sorry about was getting caught. we need more of tourists reporting these clowns.  same as airport taxis,, tourists arriving first time have no idea about a taxi fare to BANGKOK. i bet thousands get ripped off. only reason i knew was a friend who had come here many times told me.

There's not enough of these guys around any more. Back when, any newbie tourist was fair game,  particularly around famous temples, palaces and shopping centres, and contributed handsomely to the development of the country, particularly the North-East. Nowadays a good scam is a rarity, and it is left to the Boys in Tight Brown and those smartly uniformed police wannabees, the Tessaban Troops, to pick up the slack.

a good post about losing foreign tourists,  re, Tuk Tuks and taxi drivers, as Chinese dont go by this way of transport, they travel by big bus, i bet the big boss wooing the chinese never thought of this one. we will soon be hearing this lot shouting, Bring back the European/American tourists, we have no money to feed our families/

DLT official said he would face charges of having a suppressed licence plate, an out of date driving licence and overcharging

Hat trick, now you go and check all the others and I bet you can get way more than 1-2.

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

How many times have we heard that? The special word need/needed.
I felt the need for sex, so I raped her because it felt good for me.

I needed the money, so I ripped of somebody or steal from somebody so I can do what I want.

I needed to empty my waste water tanks, and the easiest and most cheap way was to dump it om the beach.

Yep, and so on.....
It´s a wonderful attitude, and they really believe it can be used as an excuse.

That is a really scary thought, if you put the level of human intelligence into the equation.

I thought I was just starting to understand Thai thinking until you brought logic into it.

Thailand needs to understand that people like to relax when they are on vacation. Relaxing means not constantly worrying about being scammed or overcharged, or having to report your address everytime you turn around, or dying in a bus fire ball, a zip line or paragliding accident, or drowning on an unseaworthy boat. People don't visit Thailand because they want to be stressed out or have a near death experience. Forget 'Amazing Thailand.' I'd be more than satisfied with just 'Safe and Relaxing Thailand.'

It was just last week the Tuk Tuk drivers and red taxis,baht buses were crying about grab taking all there business.

This type of shit doesn’t help their cause.

No one to blame but themselves,people come here for a holiday,want to experience some local culture and get ripped off at every turn.

Thank god for the Internet.

Archived