Five injured as tour bus air-con compressor explodes in repair shop

webfact

Five injured as tour bus air-con compressor explodes in repair shop

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Five people were taken to hospital after the air-con compressor of a tour bus exploded at a repair shop in Pathum Thani. 

Four of the injured were workers at the yard. 

The fifth was a woman who was passing. 

They were hit by nuts and metal shrapnel as the unit exploded with a loud bang. 

Rescue teams took the injured to Pathumwech and Paolo Rangsit hospitals.

The explosion happened at the Rattanakosin 200 Years housing estate in Thanyaburi north of Bangkok.

An investigation is underway. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-31

Would be interesting to know all the circumstances surrounding this event, it is possible that they were re gassing and managed to suck big gobs of liquid refrigerant into the compressor at high revs and the liquid will not compress and whammo. 

Another possibility is hydrocarbon refrigerant but it would need oxygen in the system so not evacuated prior to start up? 

I have never seen this in my 50 year career, sheer incompetence I suspect. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Five people were taken to hospital after the air-con compressor of a tour bus exploded at a repair shop in Pathum Thani. 

Little info giving an idea as whats occurred here .. either way makes a change from folk getting mullered by buses with dodgy brakes or wheels falling off ..

3 hours ago, rosst said:

Would be interesting to know all the circumstances surrounding this event, it is possible that they were re gassing and managed to suck big gobs of liquid refrigerant into the compressor at high revs and the liquid will not compress and whammo. 

Another possibility is hydrocarbon refrigerant but it would need oxygen in the system so not evacuated prior to start up? 

I have never seen this in my 50 year career, sheer incompetence I suspect. 

Failure to evacuate would not provide sufficient oxygen for a combustable fuel air ratio.

Nor would a liquid charge entering the compressor cause failure unless the compressor was of fixed volume type with the discharge valved off.

As you suggest, the real cause will most likely be incompetence.

Archived